Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72
  1. emuneee's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    Dollar for dollar, I agree with you. Which is the reason I decided to drop Verizon and switch to Sprint.

    My monthly bill is $71.34 after 20% discount:

    Everything Data - 450 Anytime Minutes Included $69.99
    Employee Discount Sprint 20% -$14.00
    Total Equipment Protection - $3 insurance premium & $4 service/repair $7.00
    Sprint Surcharges $4.29
    Government Fees & Taxes $4.06

    I can't get unlimited data & unlimited text messagings from AT&T for anywhere near this price (even with my 17% discount from AT&T). Verizon will undoubtedly ruin the Pre if & when they get the device and then they will overcharge for what I have from Sprint.
    Man you gotta work the system. I have AT&T, 450 mins, unlimited sms/mms, and internet for $75/month (after corp discount). However, that internet plan is actually a Media NET data package ($15/month) for use with feature phones. Thankfully through the glory of SIM cards, I can use all of this with my xperia x1...but I digress.

    The faster more the Pre or other WebOS based devices come to other networks, the faster the community grows! I for one want to try out the Pre, but would rather keep the ability to use SIM cards so I can use any unlocked phone that I want.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Wise consumers realized that exclusive agreements are not in their interest. But then again, we live in a country wrought with bad home loans.
    and a country that gives tax breaks to buy car on a loan.. when it is clearly unwise to buy the new car.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I care about Sprint being successful almost as much as I care about Palm.
    Given this is Precentral and not SprintCentral, why should you care about Sprint? The more they hurt the cheaper they price. Remember SERO? Pain for Sprint is good for us!
  4. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Given this is Precentral and not SprintCentral, why should you care about Sprint? The more they hurt the cheaper they price. Remember SERO? Pain for Sprint is good for us!

    so only palm fans are permitted to join.

    but seriously at some point pain for the carrier puts them out of business and then there's one less national carrier and VZ and ATT can just jack their rates that much more. (Dont think we are near that point, but you have to be weary of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs at some point)
  5. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #45  
    Interesting. Big picture I like that it won’t be locked in to one carrier(for my own selfish reasons because I’d prefer VZ). But on the flip side I’m kind of sad that the reason it will get set “free” is because sales are so low.

    Granted sprint has a tough battle getting people to switch over since their reputation is pretty poor with many so we can blame the missed target on them. But I had hoped that the Pre would be a big enough draw that people would overlook the carrier for the phone.

    Anyone have a point of reference for 50,000 phones a week? Is that like second only to iphones or is it more ho-hum like an eye candy feature phone might get?
  6. #46  
    I hope the exclusivity ends for sprint soon, because the more pre's that are sold more apps will be developed and when you have a phone on multiple carriers more phones will be sold.
  7. Delta-9's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Man you gotta work the system. I have AT&T, 450 mins, unlimited sms/mms, and internet for $75/month (after corp discount). However, that internet plan is actually a Media NET data package ($15/month) for use with feature phones. Thankfully through the glory of SIM cards, I can use all of this with my xperia x1...but I digress.
    I could probably quote a lower Sprint bill as well if I were a previous Sprint customer and figured out a way to get some kind of special price. However that is not the case. If I decided to go the route of the iPhone I would *not* be paying $75/month for the same service it would significantly more (after my 17% discount). You have a good setup because you are coming from a device on AT&T and can work the system because you already have an AT&T device.

    As a new AT&T customer buying an iPhone I wouldn't be able to pull that off without inside help, etc.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Given this is Precentral and not SprintCentral, why should you care about Sprint? The more they hurt the cheaper they price. Remember SERO? Pain for Sprint is good for us!
    This is true to a point. At some point, too much hurt equals bankruptcy. If Sprint is gone, we are left with AT&T and Verizon, both price gougers and to varying degrees, much more controlling than Sprint. T-Mobile is cheap, but their network isn't as good as Sprint's. Sprint is by far the best combination of price and service of the mobile providers at the moment. I don't want them going anywhere.
  9. rs4ftw's Avatar
    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #49  
    sprint failed by forcing everything plans on the pre.. it's a fact they would of sold probably more than double the pre's they've sold so far had they allowed legacy plans to use the phone.. there are millions of customers with old plans that refuse to give up their plan for the Pre.. there are more legacy & loyal customer than new customers getting the everything plans..

    just look at all the analysis out there.. sales are in the pooper.. gee i wonder why? not everyone wants to spend $80+ a month on a line just to get a phone.

    in the end, most are probably waiting for the "other" wm devices to come out.. i bet these new WM phones coming out will outsell the pre because of this..

    this is not a bash on palm, because the pre is a great phone, but sprint could have sold a lot more units without all these restrictions. it backfired on them as they thought people would flock like they did for the iphone.

    just my 2cents..
    Last edited by rs4ftw; 07/23/2009 at 01:58 PM.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    I could probably quote a lower Sprint bill as well if I were a previous Sprint customer and figured out a way to get some kind of special price. However that is not the case. If I decided to go the route of the iPhone I would *not* be paying $75/month for the same service it would significantly more (after my 17% discount). You have a good setup because you are coming from a device on AT&T and can work the system because you already have an AT&T device.

    As a new AT&T customer buying an iPhone I wouldn't be able to pull that off without inside help, etc.
    Exactly. As a long-term Sprint customer, I get 1500 minutes for two lines, unlimited data, messaging, gps, etc., pick 3, for about $110. I'm fairly certain I'd be paying nearly that much for one phone and fewer minutes with either AT&T or Verizon.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    sprint failed by forcing everything plans on the pre.. it's a fact they would of sold probably more than double the pre's they've sold so far had they allowed legacy plans to use the phone.. there are millions of customers with old plans that refuse to give up their plan for the Pre..

    in the end, most are probably waiting for the "other" wm devices to come out.. i bet these new WM phones coming out will outsell the pre because of this..

    just my 2cents..
    I hate to be the Sprint defender...but! they are forcing people into unlimited plans for most of the new smartphones, including Blackberries and Winmo phones. I was forced off of my old plan when I got my HTC TP, but Sprint worked with me to keep my plan around the same price. And it is hardly a FACT that "they would have sold probably more than double the Pre's had they allowed legacy plans to use the phone." That's your conjecture and pretty damn near impossible considering that they only recently have had enough stock to keep up with demand.
  12. caj27's Avatar
    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    sprint failed by forcing everything plans on the pre.. it's a fact they would of sold probably more than double the pre's they've sold so far had they allowed legacy plans to use the phone.. there are millions of customers with old plans that refuse to give up their plan for the Pre.. there are more legacy & loyal customer than new customers getting the everything plans..

    in the end, most are probably waiting for the "other" wm devices to come out.. i bet these new WM phones coming out will outsell the pre because of this..

    just my 2cents..
    And I bet General Motors wouldn't have needed a bail-out if they'd just made all their automobiles 50% off.
  13. rs4ftw's Avatar
    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    And I bet General Motors wouldn't have needed a bail-out if they'd just made all their automobiles 50% off.
    they went bankrupt because people don't want to spend 30k on an rather Dull-looking american car when they can spend the same 30k and get a nice sylish european/japanese car. some of the GM cars are too expensive considering their made right here in the states..

    anyway...

    http://www.precentral.net/analysts-p...clusive-danger

    so why isn't sprint selling more pre units??? it doesn't take a scientist to figure out why.
    Last edited by rs4ftw; 07/23/2009 at 02:15 PM.
  14. wicketr's Avatar
    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    they went bankrupt because people don't want to spend 30k on an rather Dull-looking american car when they can spend the same 30k and get a nice sylish european/japanese car. some of the GM cars are too expensive considering their made right here in the states..

    anyway...

    http://www.precentral.net/analysts-p...clusive-danger

    so why isn't sprint selling more pre units??? it doesn't take a scientist to figure out why.
    Yea, because there isn't enough of them to go around. They just recently started selling them in the online store due to supply and Sprint employees STILL can't buy one due to supply.

    If supply of the phone is low, why would they throw in all the extra discounts that y'all are demanding? The demand is there in full effect peeps.
  15. nhyde's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #55  
    While I want Sprint to succeed with this phone, in the end it's better for you and me for the phone to go EVERYWHERE.

    The more people have it, the more support the system will get.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
  16. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    sprint failed by forcing everything plans on the pre.. it's a fact they would of sold probably more than double the pre's they've sold so far had they allowed legacy plans to use the phone.. there are millions of customers with old plans that refuse to give up their plan for the Pre.. there are more legacy & loyal customer than new customers getting the everything plans..

    just look at all the analysis out there.. sales are in the pooper.. gee i wonder why? not everyone wants to spend $80+ a month on a line just to get a phone.

    in the end, most are probably waiting for the "other" wm devices to come out.. i bet these new WM phones coming out will outsell the pre because of this..

    this is not a bash on palm, because the pre is a great phone, but sprint could have sold a lot more units without all these restrictions. it backfired on them as they thought people would flock like they did for the iphone.

    just my 2cents..

    Ya know- you made me think for a minute. Iím not really siure one way or the other if what you say is true. But assuming that it is then I think that Sprint actually did exactly the best thing for their business.
    Why waste a big fat subsidy on people that already are so locked into a sprint plan that they wonít change to another sprint plan that is still generally cheaper than the competition? They arenít going to leave for VZ or ATT anyway.
    Instead they aimed to sell to people from VZ and ATT and elsewhere thereby increasing their market share. Pretty smart if you think about it.
  17. #57  
    There is no more room for caring.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    sprint failed by forcing everything plans on the pre.. it's a fact they would of sold probably more than double the pre's they've sold so far had they allowed legacy plans to use the phone.. there are millions of customers with old plans that refuse to give up their plan for the Pre.. there are more legacy & loyal customer than new customers getting the everything plans..

    just look at all the analysis out there.. sales are in the pooper.. gee i wonder why? not everyone wants to spend $80+ a month on a line just to get a phone.

    in the end, most are probably waiting for the "other" wm devices to come out.. i bet these new WM phones coming out will outsell the pre because of this..

    this is not a bash on palm, because the pre is a great phone, but sprint could have sold a lot more units without all these restrictions. it backfired on them as they thought people would flock like they did for the iphone.

    just my 2cents..
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    Ya know- you made me think for a minute. Iím not really siure one way or the other if what you say is true. But assuming that it is then I think that Sprint actually did exactly the best thing for their business.
    Why waste a big fat subsidy on people that already are so locked into a sprint plan that they wonít change to another sprint plan that is still generally cheaper than the competition? They arenít going to leave for VZ or ATT anyway.
    Instead they aimed to sell to people from VZ and ATT and elsewhere thereby increasing their market share. Pretty smart if you think about it.
    i don't think sprint did anything wrong
    i think palm didn't have enough supply during the first month
    and that is why the pre didn't do better.
    and i do know a lot of people who switched service providers
    for the pre. if/and/or when sprint loses it exclusivity for the pre i think it will be horrible for sprint great for the pre. and if it does go to verizon its gonna suck there verizon plans to have there own type of app store and not have palm's app catalog.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    Ya know- you made me think for a minute. Iím not really siure one way or the other if what you say is true. But assuming that it is then I think that Sprint actually did exactly the best thing for their business.
    Why waste a big fat subsidy on people that already are so locked into a sprint plan that they wonít change to another sprint plan that is still generally cheaper than the competition? They arenít going to leave for VZ or ATT anyway.
    Instead they aimed to sell to people from VZ and ATT and elsewhere thereby increasing their market share. Pretty smart if you think about it.
    They would pull more people from AT&T and VZ if they didn't force people to btake the simply everything plans.

    I predicted shortly after the launch that because the of the launch debacle that Sprint would end up relaxing both pricing and plan restrictions towards the end of the exclusivity period. I stand by that prediction. Once Sprint has to compete with AT&T VZ with the Pre, they will go back to using price as the primary differentiator. It won't be some overt change, but will be well known enough that it will help boost sales.

    I will almost certainly go back to AT&T when they have the Pre at it will save me about $20-25 month (I have an AT&T family plan, and the wife has an iPhone) over Sprint. If the pricing gap were less, I might do something different, but either way, botched execution has cost Sprint a lot in terms of potential customer adds.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    i don't think sprint did anything wrong
    i think palm didn't have enough supply during the first month
    and that is why the pre didn't do better.
    and i do know a lot of people who switched service providers
    for the pre. if/and/or when sprint loses it exclusivity for the pre i think it will be horrible for sprint great for the pre. and if it does go to verizon its gonna suck there verizon plans to have there own type of app store and not have palm's app catalog.
    I don't think VZ will cripple it by killing the palm app store or turning of wifi. Not if it's available with all those features on AT&T and Sprint. VZ's network is the best, but will will only put up with so much....
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions