Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    We were with Verizon for 10+ yrs. And I could never bring myself to get a smart phone with them because of how much exta it would cost, and all I really wanted was to have wifi. Best I had with them was lg dare (no wifi still) yea to sprint for finally breaking us away from Verizon. Could'nt be happier with phone and Sprint, and I have wifi without it costing to much. I hope all works out well for Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Wise consumers realized that exclusive agreements are not in their interest. But then again, we live in a country wrought with bad home loans.
    I totally agree with that point, but that didn't stop millions of people from getting the iPhone since that was the only place to get it. It helps the parent company out immensely, while preventing millions of potential customers from enjoying it.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintRep1 View Post
    I totally agree with that point, but that didn't stop millions of people from getting the iPhone since that was the only place to get it. It helps the parent company out immensely, while preventing millions of potential customers from enjoying it.
    My statement was inclusive of all such situations,not just the Pre.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    The only reason that I care is because with the great price I get on my plan with Sprint, I don't want to see them go under and be stuck with Verizon or AT&T (let's face it, T-Mobile isn't even in the same class).

Other than how it affects that though, it really doesn't make any difference to me.
    The Sprint plan is a good deal only if you use all the stuff included and would otherwise pay for it on AT&T. If you don't text, and don't need nav, etc..., having a family line with data on AT&T is cheaper than the Sprint make me pay for everything that I don't need plan. If Sprint allowed the Pre on cheaper plans, that would be different of course.

I think it's great if exclusivity ends. VZ and AT&T will sell a ton more Pre's than Sprint ever will, and that means a much larger base to attract app developers. Even if you want to stay on Sprint, you absolutely want AT&T and VZ selling it, because it will force Sprint to cut prices on their plans to attract more users.

It's better to choose SPrint because they have to bend over and give you more value than being forced to use SPrint and have them stick you with a simply everything I don't need plan. Who knows, it might even force them to bring back SERO. Bad for their profits but good for us consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0llarm3nu View Post
    Was just reading through the article on palmcentral that says palm pre sales are slowing and could end the exclusivity early between pre and sprint. I would be happy if it ended the exclusivity early so other carriers could have this awesome device and their could be more future apps created. I dont care if sprint loses a **** load of business all i care about is the pre and the more sold is better for palm. Their would be a huge fan base for this device and precentral would expand like crazy if other carriers had the palm pre.
    I agree. It's win-win for me. More customers mean more apps.

I am not regretting being with Sprint either, they are still the cheapest carrier for me so far so it's not like I'm swtiching.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
    I agree. It's win-win for me. More customers mean more apps.
    ... Except not necessarily, since Verizon is apparently planning on having their own exclusive app store and splintering the market.
    That only hurts really Verizon, not really Palm, imo, by making thier network not as attractive to hardware makers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    ... Except not necessarily, since Verizon is apparently planning on having their own exclusive app store and splintering the market.
    I personally cannot wait to write apps for a fraction of a small fraction of smart phone users.

it will be interesting to see how many companies will not make their apps avail to both sprint and verizon peeps.
    i welcome it. if verizon gets the pre then we should get alot more apps and updates
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I didn't read everything in the thread but with my newfound confidence in the homebrew crowd (via ryaltar's checkbook ) I think I don't care if Verizon tries to set up other stores and splinter the market. The homebrew people will fix that with either similar apps or emulators or converters or whatever. And I am a big IP believer as well. As a headhunter that is what I deal in. I am not suggesting others won't get their money.

Losing exclusivity can be nothing but good for users and probably will be a blessing in disguise for Sprint. They probably have gotten their PRPRPR $out$ $of$ $it$ $anyhow$.

If I was not a Sprint customer I'd be railing against exclusivity anyhow. I respect the right and ability to make those deals but there is nothing like 'exclusivity' to create ill will among potential future customers. Luckily the Pre is such a strong device that they'll get over it just like people did the huge baseball strike years ago...
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Well as I'm a Sprint representative I do care. However, with our plans and data network we're still the best choice for all data capable devices especially PDAs IMHO.
    Your marketing department does a horrible job of getting this information out there. Just run a commercial (like the Microsoft ads against Apple) showing how much money people would save each year by being with Sprint and the Pre over AT&T and the iPhone. Considering people would save hundreds a year, you could really wake people up. In this economic downturn, people are very conscious of their money.

Show REAL people with cash in their hands, HDTVs, GPSs, cameras, shoes, clothes....all with the savings by switching to Sprint.

Everyone I've talked to about my Pre is clueless about the price difference. They've never looked and therefore think it costs about the same each month as their iPhone. Just show them the cold hard facts Sprint!!

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    Just run a commercial (like the Microsoft ads against Apple) showing how much money people would save each year by being with Sprint and the Pre over AT&T and the iPhone.
    They have been. I can't post a link due to being a n00b on the forums, but the ad talks about saving $1200 over 2 years by switching to Sprint.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Well as I'm a Sprint representative I do care. However, with our plans and data network we're still the best choice for all data capable devices especially PDAs IMHO.

On a non business side note, I switched from a HTC Touch Pro and couldn't be happier. I'm looking forward to the evolution of the Pre as I customized my PPCs out the wazoo with help from sites like ppcgeeks and xdadevelopers. I already have nearly all the apps you talented devs have released and I'm very impressed so far. Keep up the awesome work, I look forward to visiting/downloading/posting a lot more here.
    As a sprint rep can you answer this.

The Data portion of the Sprint contract is 20 bucks a month from what I remember.

ATT is 30. However, ATT also gives you free access to all WIFI hotspots it has. Seeing that many times I am near a hotspot I find that this feature of the data plan to be fantastic and worth the extra 10 bucks.

Does Sprint have the Same ability? If not then it seems to me that the ATT Data plan is a better plan.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I don't care that it's no longer becoming a Sprint exclusive phone... The bigger the community, the more attention the phone gets.. Besides if Palm can sell at least 2-5 million Pre's that's a substantial user base for a developer to take into consideration. The way I see it, the more people that Palm can sell this phone to, the more mainstream it gets, and the less appealing it'll make the iPhone...

At least then consumers will have a better choice... I hate the exclusivity crap.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Its better for both.

SPRINT could concentrate on getting the Touch Pro2, HTC Hero and such

While PALM can start selling on Verizon.

IMO, selling it on Verizon makes sense for both Verizon ( who needs an iPhone like phone) and for PALM ( who needs to sell a gazillion of these pieces).

Personally , SPRINT screwed the whole thing.
    They could have done better marketing.
    I care about Sprint being successful almost as much as I care about Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsandwich View Post
    i welcome it. if verizon gets the pre then we should get alot more apps and updates
    Funnier words were never spoken...

So Palm is holding back on the updates waiting for verizon?

And the App developers are just waiting for their free reign on apps to end so they can saddle themselves with Verizon's App store?

Sheesh.
    My main reason for wanting to see exclusivity last is that I want to see Sprint do better. They are by far my preferred carrier and I would hate to see them do poorly and somehow force me onto a more expensive carrier. My loyalty is more to Sprint than Palm at this point. As long as Sprint gets good phones I am happy because hell if I'm paying an extra $20-40/month on ATT or VZW.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Exclusivity ending is good for Palm bad for Sprint and probably good overall for Pre users.

Bad for Sprint because they spent the extra money to market and educate the market as well as debug the phone for Palm and they aren't going to reap the benefits as long as they might have expected when they agreed to spend the money. It is also bad for morale at Sprint corporate because, while they didn't expect Pre to be as much a success as iPhone, they expected a similar ramp up in sales but just at lower levels. They had hopes that Pre would turn their fortunes around since the "fixed" their plans, "fixed" their customer service, and now "fixed" their new/hot phone problem, people should naturally be flocking to Sprint. If they aren't coming in as great #s as expected, they need to go back and re-examine their overall strategy.

Good for Palm obviously because it opens up the market to a much broader base than Sprint, who is marketing to a much smaller group, probably less than half of their CDMA customer base because of the forced plan upgrades being unpopular with long-time Sprint customers.

Good for Pre users overall because more users are better for app development regardless of which app store (or direct distribution) that needs to take place under. It will likely be much easier to port from Palm appstore to Verizon app store than to port from WebOS to WinMo. The users are still there, you just need to decide whether you can deal with Verizons T&C. If the users weren't there at all, that would be a much harder hurdle for a developer to overcome.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast