1.    #1  
    Tomorrow marks the end of my 30 day purchase date on my pre. Let me preface this post by stating clearly that I *LOVE* my pre, or, rather, I love THE pre. My unit, unfortunately has hardware issues that my Sprint Corporate store is very aware of.

I have been waiting for a replacement pre for the past 9 days. The assitant manager over at the corporate store has sent me several email confirmations that the store WILL absolutely exchange my defective pre -- whether or not I am past my 30 day purchase period -- WITHOUT PENALTY. I even had him send me an additional confirmation that if the new pre has hardware issues and i feel that I cannot take delivery, that he agrees to order me a BB Tour as a replacement.

Not that I want a Tour. I want a pre. I just needed that agreement as insurance in case the new pre is terrible.

Today, I went to Bestbuy. They have pres. The rep at Bestbuy suggested that I not trust my corporate store and return the phone, wait three days, and do a repurchase.

So, now I feel conflicted. Would you take the chance that the Sprint Corporate store is telling the truth? Or would you return and rebuy?

The thing that SUCKS is that I am going out of town for a week on Friday. I really wanted and NEEDED my pre with me during the trip. If I return it tomorrow, then I am stuck with an effing Katana for a week. A KATANA! God, how I hate that phone. But, I digress.

I feel completely turned around at this point on how to best handle this insofar as exchange vs return. Any suggestions?
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    get everything in writing save all emails concerning this
    don't be mean people are usually nice, mine was at least
    in my opinion keep the pre
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    get everything in writing save all emails concerning this
    don't be mean people are usually nice, mine was at least
    in my opinion keep the pre
    Thanks. I do have everything in writing via email and have saved those. I do want to keep the pre. It is by far the best phone I have ever used.

So, you think it would be okay to *trust* my Sprint Corporate store's Assistant Manager. He did email me all the confirmations. And I do not feel like there is any reason that he would deliberately set out to mislead me.

Besides, I also had him email me the contact information for his District Manager but let him know I had no intention of contacting the District Manager unless things did not go as he promised they would. I do hope that he would not lie to me.

And I was nice, of course. I don't blame the Sprint employees for the problems with my pre. I just want it rectified.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Thanks. I do have everything in writing via email and have saved those. I do want to keep the pre. It is by far the best phone I have ever used.

So, you think it would be okay to *trust* my Sprint Corporate store's Assistant Manager. He did email me all the confirmations. And I do not feel like there is any reason that he would deliberately set out to mislead me.

Besides, I also had him email me the contact information for his District Manager but let him know I had no intention of contacting the District Manager unless things did not go as he promised they would. I do hope that he would not lie to me.

And I was nice, of course. I don't blame the Sprint employees for the problems with my pre. I just want it rectified.
    to me its not much about trust
    if you have all the documentation you should be fine
    especially if your nice
    for the palm pre i would go for it
    good luck
    bare in mind that your replacement Pre may be a refurbished. If you're bothered by that, return it.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I think you are in good hands actually. I would recommend you to call Sprint Customer Service to keep a note of this. Inform them of the progress and they should add it as a memo to your account. That way if the Corporate store screws you over, you can always call customer service and they would have that information on hand. My experience with corporate stores is that they are nothing but helpful. It really depends who you deal with. If the assistant manager seems sincere, then I believe you are okay.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    bare in mind that your replacement Pre may be a refurbished. If you're bothered by that, return it.
    The assistant manager's email indicated that a new unit would be ordered. But, I am starting to have my doubts.

Would there be any reason in the world for the corporate store to be out of pres while bestbuy has plenty? Seems off to me. This is what he wrote:

"We have ordered you a Palm Pre to do a 30day exchange on the unit. The unit has been ordered through or Device Waiting List. I will honor your 30 day exchange past the 30 days due to the hardware failure on your unit. If the new unit comes in and has the slider failure we will also at that point allow you to swap the unit for another unit here in the store."
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    I think you are in good hands actually. I would recommend you to call Sprint Customer Service to keep a note of this. Inform them of the progress and they should add it as a memo to your account. That way if the Corporate store screws you over, you can always call customer service and they would have that information on hand. My experience with corporate stores is that they are nothing but helpful. It really depends who you deal with. If the assistant manager seems sincere, then I believe you are okay.

+1. Yiffzer is dead on. And if you love the Pre, you need to continue to do all you can to make sure you get a solid build of the unit you love. If that means testing your exchange in store and waiting until you get one you like, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    If the new unit comes in and has the slider failure we will also at that point allow you to swap the unit for another unit here in the store."
    I definately do not think that this comment means it won't be a refurb. Having said that, if it's a refurb that feels solid with no dead pixels, why is that a problem? My guess is that some of the early refurbs have gotten a much better QC test than some of the early models off the line.

Good luck with your decision.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreFix View Post
    +1. Yiffzer is dead on. And if you love the Pre, you need to continue to do all you can to make sure you get a solid build of the unit you love. If that means testing your exchange in store and waiting until you get one you like, so be it.

I definately do not think that this comment means it won't be a refurb. Having said that, if it's a refurb that feels solid with no dead pixels, why is that a problem? My guess is that some of the early refurbs have gotten a much better QC test than some of the early models off the line.

Good luck with your decision.
    I wouldn't have a problem with a refurb if I had, say, broke my phone. But to purchase a brand new phone and have it be defective and have the company I purchased it from be unable to exchange the unit for a working one since the 4th day I owned the device -- with *this* I have a problem accepting a refurb. He told me a new phone, I told him I will not take a refurb. He expressly stated that I was getting a *new* outta the box pre.

He sent me this follow up note:

"Yes, we can take care of these issues just as we discussed in the store. I will let you know when the pre comes in and if this pre has issues we can order you a Blackberry Tour."

Which was a response to this note I sent him:

"Thanks so much for shooting that confirmation email over to me last week. I do have one concern though. In the first email you sent you state "I will honor your 30 day exchange past the 30 days due to the hardware failure on your unit. If the new unit comes in and has the slider failure we will also at that point allow you to swap the unit for another unit here in the store." However, this is not exactly what we discussed in store and again over the telephone. I asked you, rather specifically, that if the replacement pre still has hardware issues and I do not wish to stick with the pre whether you would then be able to get me into a Blackberry Tour without me being penalized for the exchange and it occurring past my 30 day purchase period with the pre. And you told me that yes, you would certainly honor that but would have to order the Tour as it can only come to the store via direct shipment.

I just want to make sure that we are on the same page here, because letting me "swap the unit for another unit here in the store" is not what we discussed -- especially considering that the Blackberry Tour is not available in the store as yet."