Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by illskill View Post
    This is a palm pre forum.. what did you expect people to be talking about? By the way that other stuff does matter.. It matters to the future of the phone and the platform.. It effects us as enthusiastic consumers..
    i second this
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    No. He could care less.
    Exactly, I COULD care less. Far from the most pressing issue in my life. It's just odd to me that so many people feel so personably responsible for the success or failure of this product...
    Last edited by bspray; 07/22/2009 at 04:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    For many of us I think it's because Palm is quite literally teetering on the edge of oblivion. If this device fails, so does Palm. I for one look at Palm as the only Apple alternative.
    exactly. -m
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Palm's the underdog right now. They were on top before, but have made so many mistakes.. It's just recently that they started doing things correctly again.

I want to see them succeed.

-mark
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    HERE's why! We don't want THIS happening to our peeps.

Man Commits Suicide Over iPhone

Geeez. They take this crap pretty seriously over there. What if he'd had a dead pixel or an Oreo slider? Huh?!

bj
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bspray View Post
    My Pre works for me, I love it. Why does any of that other crap even matter? Why are so many people so worked up about what other people are saying?
    When I used to work in IT I used to joke that I'd rather deal with the security issues in Windows than security issues in Apple fans.

I use Macs primarily but it has everything to do with how it fits MY life rather than brand loyalty. And that's whats wrong with todays consumers. There's a very LOUD (but deceptively small) group of people feel that somehow a product defines them as people so insulting their iPhone, Pre or XBox is EXACTLY the same as pushing their grandma into a pool.

It's pretty sad, but the internet makes it easy for insecure people to have an identity through a corporate logo.
    Exactly, I COULD care less. Far from the most pressing issue in my life. It's just odd to me that so many people feel so personably responsible for the success or failure of this product...
    Again, you mean you COULDN'T care less.

It's crazy how many people misuse that phrase.
    Quote Originally Posted by dajlol77 View Post

What are you talking about? He's using it how he wants, ok? I'm sure he gets french benefits at work, supposebly. Irregardless of what you may think.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I really don't get all the insecurity with so many Pre owners.

I am a Pre owner.
    I could care less how many Pres Sprint sells.
    I could care less who the carrier is.
    I could care less how many people want to exagerate their problems with the Pre - mine works.
    I could care less what analysts or other people think about the Pre.
    I could care less whether the 3G or the 3GS is milli-seconds faster in a search.
    In fact, I could care less about the iPhone period. If I wanted one, I would have purchased one.

My Pre works for me, I love it. Why does any of that other crap even matter? Why are so many people so worked up about what other people are saying?

Brian
    Speaking only for myself, I CARE because I'm not only a fan of the Pre from a technology and consumer side, I'm also an investor in PALM. I have a vested interest in correct information being disseminated.

As an investor, I do my homework on my investment. I can become more informed from a site like this from both the consumer side and investment side. I try to know it inside and out so as to never be blind-sided. If I can get and disseminate accurate information or vice versa expose inaccurate information, I'm going to. It affects my money. k? thks.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    What are you talking about? He's using it how he wants, ok? I'm sure he gets french benefits at work, supposebly. Irregardless of what you may think.
    Hhaha, i like using pretend words, too.
  11.    #31  
    Trust me, I grasp the language. I ACTUALLY COULD care less, I just don't. You see, I care enough to start this thread and I care enough to continue responding to the syntax police. I COULD care less, but not much.

While I appreciate everyone trying to correct me and trying to interupt what I was trying to say, how about you just comment on the OP or not comment?

Thanks.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Speaking only for myself, I CARE because I'm not only a fan of the Pre from a technology and consumer side, I'm also an investor in PALM. I have a vested interest in correct information being disseminated.

As an investor, I do my homework on my investment. I can become more informed from a site like this from both the consumer side and investment side. I try to know it inside and out so as to never be blind-sided. If I can get and disseminate accurate information or vice versa expose inaccurate information, I'm going to. It affects my money. k? thks.
    While I can kind of understand this train of thought, the original question was not about why people come on this forum to logically discuss the plusses and minuses of the Pre. It was to figure out why people seem to take it so personally when someone bashes the Pre on YouTube - or why a television commercial is good or bad for the product. Worse still is the extreme emotional response to to someone saying that the iPhone is a better phone. I just don't get the insecurity.

With regard to your comments about investing, the profits and losses from the Pre have already been made or lost. Serious analysts have already weighed in on how it is going to do and the stock price has reflected that for nearly a month. Unless you are somehow able to decifer Palm's forward vision
    as a company from the wildly speculative comments made by a group of anonymous people that haven't necessarily ever even owned a Palm product, then I am completely confused as to how you plan to use this forum as an investment research tool. Best of luck with that though...
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    While I can kind of understand this train of thought, the original question was not about why people come on this forum to logically discuss the plusses and minuses of the Pre. It was to figure out why people seem to take it so personally when someone bashes the Pre on YouTube - or why a television commercial is good or bad for the product. Worse still is the extreme emotional response to to someone saying that the iPhone is a better phone. I just don't get the insecurity.

With regard to your comments about investing, the profits and losses from the Pre have already been made or lost. Serious analysts have already weighed in on how it is going to do and the stock price has reflected that for nearly a month. Unless you are somehow able to decifer Palm's forward vision
    as a company from the wildly speculative comments made by a group of anonymous people that haven't necessarily ever even owned a Palm product, then I am completely confused as to how you plan to use this forum as an investment research tool. Best of luck with that though...
    In other words you expect Palm stock to either stagnate at current levels or drop, eh? Additionally, one month ago Palm's stock price was $13.25. After the bad press it still sits significantly higher at $14.37. That's a 10% return in one month, so NO, not all money was made or lost a month ago. Clearly, you no nothing about investing or trading. And, hint, I've been in Palm longer than a month.

A lot of the very first news about Palm comes from forums such as these. I have personally seen news on sites like these that flies under the radar of most investors. I have MADE money this way. I'm not basing my investment on the speculative comments. I have my own speculations, thank you very much. Moreover, my consumer side wants to stay informed on what's going on with this brand new device that keeps getting brand new features.

And why the decidedly snotty and dismissive tone?

You asked why I cared, I answered. I have made a substantial return on my investment. I sold half. The other half is riding in a trade position. That means I need to jump off given the right circumstance, but I want to hold as I think it can go higher. Another position sits untouched in my IRA as a long-term play.

So, for someone who seems to care so little, why the snarky reply?

I have no interest in why people got nuts on YouTube or worship their phones. I spoke only for myself, as I said. Talking about other things such as controversial commercials is simply fun. I like to shoot the ... well you know and these conversations are a lot more fun than some political discussions I've had online. Besides, people who share a common interest can really get annoyed by others who interrupt those conversations with bashing. Can't you understand that, anyway?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dajlol77 View Post

Regardless of whether the OP is misusing the phrase or not, this graphic is beautiful. I just teared up a little. I've explained this distinction to people a 100 times if I have once. Nice work.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    the fact that palm was near extinction before the announcement of the pre is what scares me. Also the fact that the build quality on most of the pres iv'e had the opportunity to hold is absolutely horrid. I'm convinced mine wont last more than 6 months with this slider and easily crackable plastic.. WebOS is a huge advancement for palm and hopefully it serves them well into the next few years. However, I think it belongs on a better device. Maybe something a little more solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    No. He could care less.
    Sorry. I teach English at a university: "I couldn't care less" is grammatically correct if one means to say that they cannot possibly care any less.

"I could care less" indicates there is still room, that one could, indeed, care even less than they do already.

That concludes the English lesson for this thread
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Sorry. I teach English at a university: "I couldn't care less" is grammatically correct if one means to say that they cannot possibly care any less.

"I could care less" indicates there is still room, that one could, indeed, care even less than they do already.

That concludes the English lesson for this thread
    You, like me, are soooo wrong. You see, I'll translate for you. What the OP meant was:

I [care at least a little] how many Pres Sprint sells.
    I [care at least a little] who the carrier is.
    I [care at least a little] how many people want to exagerate their problems with the Pre - mine works.
    I [care at least a little] what analysts or other people think about the Pre.
    I [care at least a little] whether the 3G or the 3GS is milli-seconds faster in a search.
    In fact, I [care at least a little] about the iPhone period. If I wanted one, I would have purchased one.

My favorite statement from the original post is the "I could care less, period." Anyways, that makes perfect sense, for all intensive purposes. We should direct our comments towards the point of his post, not weather he misused the stupid phrase.
    its no iPhone killer like how everyone was hoping it would be
    You, like me, are soooo wrong. You see, I'll translate for you. What the OP meant was:

I [care at least a little] how many Pres Sprint sells.
    I [care at least a little] who the carrier is.
    I [care at least a little] how many people want to exagerate their problems with the Pre - mine works.
    I [care at least a little] what analysts or other people think about the Pre.
    I [care at least a little] whether the 3G or the 3GS is milli-seconds faster in a search.
    In fact, I [care at least a little] about the iPhone period. If I wanted one, I would have purchased one.

My favorite statement from the original post is the "I could care less, period." Anyways, that makes perfect sense, for all intensive purposes. We should direct our comments towards the point of his post, not weather he misused the stupid phrase.
    Umm, yeah. Can't you read what I wrote? I was disagreeing with the conflation of "couldn't care less" meaning, in the way the OP stated his.her position that he/she could not possibly care less about Apple.

So, in essence, I am in agreement with those who have pointed to a difference, or, if you prefer, in a Derridian sense, a differance in the the construction of "couldn't care less" and "could care less."
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    this thread makes me lol.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast