Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    was a trackball (like those found on Blackberrys). I don't think I ever use the Center Button at all now that the swipe-up gesture takes you from the application into Card View. I think that with the trackball, it makes it much easier to do things like moving the cursor while typing instead of using the orange+tap method. And of course the trackball would still be clickable so it could still function as a method to get back into card view.

Trackball = much more useful. I wonder why they didn't think of that.
    Or can at least be dedicated to a specific app, so when you press it, it brings up the "home" application you set!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brqndon View Post
    was a trackball (like those found on Blackberrys). I don't think I ever use the Center Button at all now that the swipe-up gesture takes you from the application into Card View. I think that with the trackball, it makes it much easier to do things like moving the cursor while typing instead of using the orange+tap method. And of course the trackball would still be clickable so it could still function as a method to get back into card view.

Trackball = much more useful. I wonder why they didn't think of that.
    Without a mouse cursor, what would a trackball do?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Now here's a man who thinks...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    The iPhone has a center button. If the Pre didn't, I'm sure that we'd be hearing about how this makes the Pre inferior to the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I agree. A trackball would have come in handy. I felt this way after owning the Pre for less than a day. The Pre is awesome, but it will be very interesting to see what future devices running WebOS are like.
    Not that I want a trackball but it could function as a pointer and allow you to scroll through your apps as well.

I would have preferred a 5 way d pad. Or a "nub" like the thinkpad.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    At the very least, I'd like something to got back and force within text fields (left/right) or up/down between fields

For other ideas, take a look at how Classic (or, for that matter, late model PlamOS devices) uses a D-Pad (or whatever you want to call it).

Having used a Blackberry with a trackball, I can tell you that except for the web browser, there was no mouse cursor. And, yet, the trackball was ever-so-useful.
    While i agree that it should have a trackball, i do not see the need for a cursor. It could be used similar to the D-pad on other palm devices. Maybe not as accurate... . However there is also the option of a trackstick which i do not see much of anymore.

But since the hardware is what it is, I am sure there will be more usefulness found for it eventually.
    Track ball would work like the nav pad on the Pre, mostly useful with editing text entered or selecting text.
    It would also be a nice option to touch for true one handed operation Navigate and depress to select.

I miss that option on the Treo However I have gotten used to all touch navigation.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Don't worry it's going to be used for notification. I swear I know I didn't dream it up. I saw video demonstrating the Pre like months before it came out and that was a key feature...Why it was never used on launch dunno...
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I find it funny that the former BB users wish the center button was a trackball, and the former iPhone users wish it would wake up the phone from sleep.
    I would rather see the center button be optical much like the Blackberry 8525. It would help make selecting more functional and could be used in many apps for slower scrolling. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by nKoan View Post
    I find it funny that the former BB users wish the center button was a trackball, and the former iPhone users wish it would wake up the phone from sleep.
    I'm a former BB user and I don't want a trackball coming within miles of my Palm Pre. Trackballs are a horrible way of navigation and tend to break easily. I'll be happy with the orange button method of navigation.

I want the center button to activate the phone. And of course as a notification light.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    The Center Button is the most prominent feature and should have greater function:
    1. The Center button could light up to show messages, text, emails, and calendar alerts as the developer forums have already proven.

2. The Gesture area allows swipe down, up, left, and right so that is all of the function of a trackball.

The Pre can have it all: Center Button, LED, and trackball-like operation.

- Craig
    I would be happy if it just woke up the phone. I don't know how many times i try to do that as it is and can't imagine its that tough to program.
    neither please
    Sorry, but trackballs like on the BB's and G1 suck. Worst thing ever put on a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    The Center Button is the most prominent feature and should have greater function:
    1. The Center button could light up to show messages, text, emails, and calendar alerts as the developer forums have already proven.

2. The Gesture area allows swipe down, up, left, and right so that is all of the function of a trackball.

The Pre can have it all: Center Button, LED, and trackball-like operation.

- Craig
    Until it warms up to your finger temperature and can no longer read, like every capacitive touch screen. I had my phone in my pocket while I was riding my bicycle, pulled it out to check messages, and the touch screen was unresponsive until it cooled down. The screen had been up against my leg in my pocket, so it couldn't differentiate whether I was touching it or not, due to temperature.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I so want it just to blink for different notifications.

I used a nokia e71 before this and i found it useful when I can just have my phone on the table and look at the center button to see if someone responded to my txt. instead of turning on my pre and wasting valuable bat. life.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast