Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    So what are the chances the next time we see new apps we have to pay for them?
    you don't have to there is always homebrew
    As soon as the app catalog its out of beta we,ll start seeing more variety and more pay for apps
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    you don't have to there is always homebrew
    True but for people who are scared to mess with their software, myself included, the official store is their only safe bet. Personally I wouldn't mind paying as long as they were bug free. No fart apps please...
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    True but for people who are scared to mess with their software, myself included, the official store is their only safe bet. Personally I wouldn't mind paying as long as they were bug free. No fart apps please...
    you don't need to root your pre to get homebrew
    go to the homebrew section
    reading is fundamental
    I've always payed for apps. What's the difference here? Software development is very time consuming and hard work. Developers deserve compensation for that effort.
    I love my free apps but I do try to donate to developers whenever I am able too. Its just a common courtesy like tipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I've always payed for apps. What's the difference here? Software development is very time consuming and hard work. Developers deserve compensation for that effort.
    Amen to that!
    I'm also one of the ones that take some free APPS but if a PAy APP serves my needs and is reasonable ( No Monthly payments) I have no problem getting it. I also have Donated to Developers of APPS ,even with the Instinct .

SO yes I like Free but have no problem paying for what makes my life easier or More Fun.

Oh and yes I think when things start hitting hard and it comes out of Beta there will be charges to follow.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    There's always a place for free and paid apps. I remember the old days (the 80's) where there was a ton of "shareware" out that that no one was paying for. I also see plenty of "open source" stuff that's great. I also see plenty of "open source" stuff that never got finished and no one ever bothered to pick it up again.

Are there any free "homebrewed" (quality) PIM apps for the old PalmOS? While some may have quibbles over Agendus and DateBk, I've never see a single free app that's ever even remotely come close. On the other hand, the free Handyshopper did a lot more than several paid apps.

I pick software based on what it does. If a paid app is reasonably priced and works enough better than what's free, I pay for it. If not, I don't. I have apps that I've kept the free version, because it was good enough. And others where I happily handed over my money because the paid version was well worth it.

Keep in mind that the fact that the Pre app catalog doesn't include an easy mechanism for charging is likely keeping away some developers. Or, for those developers that were in the program, keeping them from doing their best job. Splash, in my opinion is a good example. They've given us an app that doesn't do much (Infopedia) and a beta. Trust me, once they can charge, Splash will have more software and better quality.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I'm sure that has to do alot with the holdup. Palm setting up their storefront and who gets paid what. I'm sure Sprint is in there somewhere with their hand out as well.
    We are mentioning a number of good threads. Here are some links:

The real explosion of new apps is coming form the Homebrew forum.

The instructions are pretty simple.

You do not have to "root" your Pre but if you have some background there is another whole world that suddenly opens up:
    Rooting your Pre - AKA Jailbreak

- Craig
    Fyi, Developers will have a system to submit applications in the fall (currently it's a hacky, only free applications, review process where we email them details and have a back and forth). I'm guessing commercial applications would also happen at that time.