Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    The positive articles on potential to deliver of the Linux-based OS and programming articles are finally trickling out. (as opposed to run-of-the-mill device comparisons) Read the Infoworld article here.

The innumerable Pre vs. iPhone slugfests inevitably hit the point where one points out the WebOS is v.1.0.x while iPhoneOS is "mature" at v.3.x. From there, there are a number of stereotypical responses on how Palm should have handled the situation.

To summarize, the author believes that Palm has given developers the open mobile platform they want. Known non-proprietary technologies (HTML5,Linux), speed and ease of development, and despite what you've heard of the fledging App Catalog, all signs point to less draconian control over distribution (devmode, open source components, dev community support) which means less financial risk. (Google "iphone commodore 64 emulator" articles for more.)

Apple's mantra "There's an app for that." is all too true for basic or core functions. There is in fact ONLY ONE app, get your damn hands off of it, we made it, it's ours, our "core" function. All the way from messaging apps down to cut & paste.

We're one month into this adventure, the homebrew scene is cooking and those webos-internals are looking like old friends already. Palm can fire back in a few months: Group SMS forwarding? Yup, 5 apps for that. Video recording? 3 apps for that too. Improved cut & paste? Take your choice. Farting? Too easy, 242 apps for that...(ahem.)
    Last edited by Goyena; 07/22/2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Figurative prophetic text taken too literally in an immediate temporal sense.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Infoworld has done a nice job on this article.

- Craig
    Perceived hardware shoddiness aside, what makes me really excited is webOS. It's not perfect but it's one of the best if not the best OS out of the major 6 right now. It helps that it has the prettiest UI aesthetically, too.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Thanks for the good post.
    Haven't done coding in a long time.
    The new SDK excited me to start coding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    We're one month into this adventure, the homebrew scene is cooking and those webos-internals are looking like old friends already. Group SMS forwarding? Yup, 5 apps for that. Video recording? 3 apps for that too. Improved cut & paste? Take your choice. Farting? Too easy, 242 apps for that...(ahem.)
    I looked through webos-internals and didn't see the video apps or SMS stuff. Where should I be looking?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    @gbp, Me too. That would be a good poll. I think most of the developers are hanging out in the Palm forum though. Being able to bounce ideas off of Palm's development team has its appeal - and it's free.

@jimlynch11, Sorry - they're not. Yet. But they will be. And quickly. That was the point of the article and my post. What will help speed things up will (should) be Palm's encouragement of user tweaks and enhancement to the core, something that Apple is against.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Group SMS forwarding? Yup, 5 apps for that. Video recording? 3 apps for that too. Improved cut & paste? Take your choice. Farting? Too easy, 242 apps for that...(ahem.)
    Interesting, but where are these apps/mods you're referring to...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    Interesting, but where are these apps/mods you're referring to...?
    Reading comprehension is your friend.

Palm can fire back in a few months: Group SMS forwarding? Yup, 5 apps for that...
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Reading comprehension is your friend.
    When the first two people to read and respond to a post interpret it the same way (not as the author intended), blaming the miscommunication on the readers is... dumb...
    Im sure it will fire back when people really starts to get the potential of a device with its linux core almost open by default.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Don't get snippy with each other. I just edited my text cos it was being misunderstood. (Added "Palm can fire back in a few months:")

Totally my bad. Kiss and make up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    When the first two people to read and respond to a post interpret it the same way (not as the author intended), blaming the miscommunication on the readers is... dumb...
    Not mention it is in poor taste and lacks tact or forum etiquette.