Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Saw this today: Will Sprint lose its Palm Pre exclusivity due to horrible July sales?

It's from what I'd call a dubious source, but worthy of a quick read. To kind of summarize:

Eller says that only 50, 000 Pres have been sold in July. Thatís 25, 000 units sold weekly but Sprintís agreement with Palm requires 117, 000 weekly unit sales to keep its exclusivity.
    Maybe if palm made all of their phones to go through tougher qc then it would sell more.
    Well it's hard to sell something you don't have . I put part of this on Palm for defects and replacements being Higher then I'm sure they thought.

I mean I'm sure they knew some things would slip through but not this many.

Now I'm not knocking them at all and I know it's to be expected on a new devise but it is still what it is.

In a way I hope it does get released to other carriers and then maybe some more Apps will be developed. Just look at all the good ones from right here on PC
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    The $79 Simply Everything Plan sounds kind of exciting. Except I'm sure it still won't qualify for corporate discounts.
    I call huge BS. A lot doesn't add up with that.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    It's still all very suspect stuff. This is the second little chop-shop of "analysis" to come along. Their website looks like it was created by a 12-year-old using FrontPage. They've been doing this for all of a year-and-a-half.

TownHall Investment Research, formerly JRPG, has been publishing research and advising institutional money managers on the wireless and digital Communications sectors since 2007.
    About Us

This type of reporting is getting ridiculously absurd. Maybe I should create a website for wireless consulting and come up with my own analysis. It appears it would get as much credence as these guys and I could do it overnight.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    The $79 Simply Everything Plan sounds kind of exciting. Except I'm sure it still won't qualify for corporate discounts.
    actually, they honored corporate discounts for me.. (they didn't last time I tried to get the simply everything plan months ago..)
    -mark
    that's crazy if this information is correct
    how dose palm expect all those sales when they don't have enough to sell?
    its been sold out since a week ago!?!
    that doesn't add up hope this information is false
    i like the pre to be exclusive to sprint
    makes me feel important
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    It usually helps to find information before being 'sure' about something. The $99 simply everything does not carry a discount, however the 2 other everything data plans do carry a corporate discount.
    Stores have enough to sell right now, its not a supply problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Stores have enough to sell right now, its not a supply problem.
    right now they have enough but what about 2 - 5 weeks ago?
    i know if they have had enough the first week sales would be a lot better.
    more people would have had bought the pre instead of the new iphone
    and how does palm expect sprint to sell products with the oreo problem
    or dead pixels...etc
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    It usually helps to find information before being 'sure' about something. The $99 simply everything does not carry a discount, however the 2 other everything data plans do carry a corporate discount.
    Yeah, I know the other two Everything plans accept the discount, but the $99 "Simply Everything" plan (which the article says might be reduced to $79) does not work with discounts. Although the other person mentioned they were able to get the discount to work. Perhaps the policy has changed, or they just got lucky (nice!). I suspect it's the latter.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I have posted this numerous times (and don't feel like searching for the link again), but when the Pre was out for just a few weeks, Fox News ran a 'consumer reports' comparison between the Pre, the Storm, and the iPhone.

During this nonsensical comparison of the phones (no fox news jokes, it was a CONSUMERREPORTS.ORG person, not a rep of Fox News...Fox News is irrelevant to the point I am making)...

They ran a 'Quick Fact' ticker at the bottom of the screen that had said Palm has sold 300,000 units
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    right now they have enough but what about 2 - 5 weeks ago?
    i know if they have had enough the first week sales would be a lot better.
    more people would have had bought the pre instead of the new iphone
    and how does palm expect sprint to sell products with the oreo problem
    or dead pixels...etc
    There would have been more short term sales but demand doesn't decay to nothing just because there were 3 weeks or so that the device was in short supply.

Supply is not what is causing ****ty demand. The device needs a lot of work and competition isn't gwtting any easier, especially in europe where great GSM devices are plentiful.

Palm is in deep financial crap right now. I know most of you can't see that but WebOS isn't delivering on sales the way it needs to.
    There would have been more short term sales but demand doesn't decay to nothing just because there were 3 weeks or so that the device was in short supply.

Supply is not what is causing ****ty demand. The device needs a lot of work and competition isn't gwtting any easier, especially in europe where great GSM devices are plentiful.

Palm is in deep financial crap right now. I know most of you can't see that but WebOS isn't delivering on sales the way it needs to.
    huh?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts

Hey! Don't go all chicken-little on us. Despite the fact that the following poll was conducted before the iPhone 3GS came out, Britain sure was freakin' hot for the Pre in May. Britain is part of Europe, no? And it's O2 that's getting the Pre. O2 is GSM.

Results: Palm Pre beats the new iPhone!

The numbers are in. We asked you which gadget due in Summer youíd be buying first and you voted for the Palm Pre in droves, crushing the new iPhone. Read on for the full results.

That's 83% that wanted the Pre.

Results: Palm Pre beats the new iPhone! - mirror.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    That is nothing but a blog from some third rate investor that is on an anti-Palm agenda since the Pre came out.

And if I didnt know better I would swear the "blogger/investor" is a iphone-troll member of this forum.

that blogs IP should be blocked.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    That article does seem a little dubious.

The explanation of poor battery life being caused by friction from opening/closing the slider (causing the battery to recycle) is new to me (and I've been pretty manic about checking the most popular pre sites and forums). That's not to say that explanation is not true, but it seems odd that rumor is not being more widely touted.

No doubt, Palm's QC on the Pre's (especially the very early Pre's) has left a lot to be desired. I have not read many posts of users returning their Pre due to frustrations with webOS; it's almost always been a hardware issue. For an early adapter, it's expected to have some bugs/lacking features in the OS, but I think a solidly built product is not too much to ask for (even day one). Palm's failure in that department could hurt Sprint as it seems like either their exclusivity ends at the end of 2009 or, at the very least, other carriers will have other webOS devices in early 2010.

I'm on my 2nd Pre myself. the first one (got on launch day) was awfull (in regards to build quality) but the 2nd one was much more solid (still feels a little flimsy feeling, but nothing too significant. From what I've read in this forum, the build quality of the Pre has been steadily improving (though there will always be exceptions). So, if there was a slight downtick in July due to returns, I would guess that that's a temporary thing.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Since they corrected the article, i have a hard time believing it at all. Even 55,000 units a week is A LOT. 4 months to a million units? That's faster than the iPhone when it first launched.

Also the analyst said that so many were returned for a keyboard issue? What keyboard issue?
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast