Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    Since they corrected the article, i have a hard time believing it at all. Even 55,000 units a week is A LOT. 4 months to a million units? That's faster than the iPhone when it first launched.

Also the analyst said that so many were returned for a keyboard issue? What keyboard issue?
    Probably sliding open the keyboard resets the phone or the keyboard stop working.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecb1171 View Post

No doubt, Palm's QC on the Pre's (especially the very early Pre's) has left a lot to be desired. I have not read many posts of users returning their Pre due to frustrations with webOS; it's almost always been a hardware issue. For an early adapter, it's expected to have some bugs/lacking features in the OS, but I think a solidly built product is not too much to ask for (even day one). Palm's failure in that department could hurt Sprint as it seems like either their exclusivity ends at the end of 2009 or, at the very least, other carriers will have other webOS devices in early 2010.

I'm on my 2nd Pre myself. the first one (got on launch day) was awfull (in regards to build quality) but the 2nd one was much more solid (still feels a little flimsy feeling, but nothing too significant. From what I've read in this forum, the build quality of the Pre has been steadily improving (though there will always be exceptions). So, if there was a slight downtick in July due to returns, I would guess that that's a temporary thing.
    I'd much rather have my May 11th made pre back than my current June 26th Pre they won't replace.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    . Britain is part of Europe, no? And it's O2 that's getting the Pre. O2 is GSM.

That's 83% that wanted the Pre.

Results: Palm Pre beats the new iPhone! - mirror.co.uk
    Off topic, but just to reply. Actually, Britain does not consider themselves part of Europe. They are not on the Euro, have nothing to do with the EU, etc. Not nearly as socialized as the rest of 'the continent'. In fact, to no surprise, Britain is closer to North America than Europe as far as day to day life is concerned. (Well , maybe excluding queerbec.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Off topic, but just to reply. Actually, Britain does not consider themselves part of Europe. They are not on the Euro, have nothing to do with the EU, etc. Not nearly as socialized as the rest of 'the continent'. In fact, to no surprise, Britain is closer to North America than Europe as far as day to day life is concerned. (Well , maybe excluding queerbec.)
    member states of the European Union

http://europa.eu/abc/european_countr...s/index_en.htm

IIRC while maybe not as "socialized" as the rest of Europe they do have socialized health care and have nationalized all large industries..ie: airlines, rail, commercial television etc and the same socialized services we have here in this country postal service and social security to name a few..
    Last edited by leftyman; 07/22/2009 at 10:28 AM.
    It's not uncommon to have a minimum committment to sustain an exclusive. Most vendors structure exclusives as a combination of payment and guaranteed sales volume, mostly the latter. If Sprint is as lame as we all anticipated, trying to take the cheap way out on marketing, etc... Then things may well slow down to the point that they lose their exclsuive.

The problem for Palm is that they probably don't have other carrier deals inked just yet, though I think VZ will get it sooner than AT&T since it's basically the same hardware as for Sprint. The GSM version is just about to launch, and the US GSM networks run on different frequencies...
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    It's not uncommon to have a minimum committment to sustain an exclusive. Most vendors structure exclusives as a combination of payment and guaranteed sales volume, mostly the latter. If Sprint is as lame as we all anticipated, trying to take the cheap way out on marketing, etc... Then things may well slow down to the point that they lose their exclsuive.

The problem for Palm is that they probably don't have other carrier deals inked just yet, though I think VZ will get it sooner than AT&T since it's basically the same hardware as for Sprint. The GSM version is just about to launch, and the US GSM networks run on different frequencies...
    If this is true, it is BS for Sprint ... Sprint does not control the actual product. A lot of people are reading about how it needs work. We all acknowledge it needs a lot of work. I love my Pre, but I have always been an early adopter. You would think that both companies would have certain requirements to reach, and how can Sprint sell a certain amount when the supply has been low and a lot have been replacing other Pres. The App Catalog is still in Beta, had only 30 Apps for over a month, multiple issues with Exchange so the Enterprise isn't buying it yet. Sprint can only do so much, and for them to have to lower their price to meet an obligation Palm set when they can't even meet their own. Absolutely ridiculous. Palm and Sprint both wanted to rush it to the market, so they should both suffer together.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I would blame on Palm Pre's quality!! it's not sprint fault..
    Quote Originally Posted by j1huynh View Post
    I would blame on Palm Pre's quality!! it's not sprint fault..
    Huh?? First they don't guarantee enough volume for Palm to produce enough units to be available at launch. Then they require subs to take only their most expensive plans, forcing SERO and other users to upgrade. Then they do virtually no advertising and marketing of the product prior to launch since they don't have very many units (thinking they can save money).

Then when AT&T and VZ say they'll have it right after exclsuivity is over in january, they issue crash orders to run the factory 24x7, shipping each days worth of production via air to the US. Still no advertising or marketing. After inventory levels stabilize, they begin some anemic marketing campaign, but by now, many users are happy to sit back and wait for VZ or AT&T to get it.

Palm has their issues, but this has been a screwed up launch by Sprint. There is a reason why Sprint is a tier 2 carrier!
    You know, it sounds like this Eller guy is somehow combining rumors in his mind and to me that makes his analysis need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Relevant issues that we've actually heard about on the forums:
    • Keyboard slider being loose / oreo effect
    • Loose battery / battery disconnecting from the keyboard closing
    • Low battery life

And somehow he comes up with an amalgamation of all three or something? That somehow the loose slider is causing friction on a loose battery which is causing low battery life? Maybe that's just something he's poorly worded, but it doesn't give me much confidence in his reporting.

If Simply Everything drops to $79 though, I'd probably switch from my current 450 minutes for $55 plan to it. Unlimited everything for only $25 more than my current plan would just be too good to pass up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    Since they corrected the article, i have a hard time believing it at all. Even 55,000 units a week is A LOT. 4 months to a million units? That's faster than the iPhone when it first launched.

Also the analyst said that so many were returned for a keyboard issue? What keyboard issue?
    No actually, according to informationweek.com, it took Apple just over two months to sell 1 million units of the original iPhone. That means palm has twice the time apple used to sell 1 million units... personally i hope sprint does lose their exclusivity with the pre because i am one of the people who are waiting to get it on Verizon. Also, with the pre open on other carriers and with more people using it it will attract developers to make new solid apps for it.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Huh?? First they don't guarantee enough volume for Palm to produce enough units to be available at launch. Then they require subs to take only their most expensive plans, forcing SERO and other users to upgrade. Then they do virtually no advertising and marketing of the product prior to launch since they don't have very many units (thinking they can save money).
    I somehow doubt Sprint told Palm to not bother to make a bunch of units for launch; that just sounds odd. Also, the Pre uses data connection constantly. If you use the phone on a non-data plan, you WILL hit your spending limit regardless of what it is. So any SERO plan that did not have data access wouldn't be able to anyway, and there's really no need to honor SERO anymore as most people on it probably don't qualify for it anyway (actually having the family member/close friend a current Sprint employee). There's nothing guaranteeing that you can stay on SERO forever and ever; Sprint is fully able to cancel your plan and either move you to a new one or offer to waive the ETF and send you on your way.

Then when AT&T and VZ say they'll have it right after exclsuivity is over in january, they issue crash orders to run the factory 24x7, shipping each days worth of production via air to the US. Still no advertising or marketing. After inventory levels stabilize, they begin some anemic marketing campaign, but by now, many users are happy to sit back and wait for VZ or AT&T to get it.

Palm has their issues, but this has been a screwed up launch by Sprint. There is a reason why Sprint is a tier 2 carrier!
    You can't really blame Sprint for Palm not producing enough units, or having so many come back. I'm sure Sprint would have loved to had plenty of units ready for launch some time in mid/late fall; it's a shame it didn't work out that way and had to launch head to head against the iPhone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12