Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    So i'm having a issue that seems very odd to me. Does not happen often, but some times I will pick up my phone and it is off. Maybe see this once or twice a day. Anyone else have a similar issue?
  2. #2  
    There's a known battery issue, where it doesn't fit tight enough in some models. I believe I read that Sprint has replacement batteries.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  3.    #3  
    So this is in fact a battery issue and not a hardware mishap? I'm on my second battery, because my first drained so fast. This one holds charge much better. It doesn't restart though. I usually have to pull the battery then it works.
  4. budders's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #4  
    happens to me allot
  5. ttkk1's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #5  
    Same exact problem for me, just started after traveling for a few days. I added the small tape to the battery as others have suggested and so far seems to be solved.
    Handspring Visor Deluxe, Platinum; Visor Phone, Palm Zire 72; Treo 270, 700p; Centro x2; Pixi, Pre
  6.    #6  
    Any pictures to show exactly how this is done? I talked to Sprint care, and they said they couldn't warranty my battery because it was after 30 days. True? I thought we were covered under 1yr, plus I have the TEC insurance as well.
  7. #7  
    its a software issue if the phone turns itself off while sitting down. its a battery contact issue when the phone restarts when you open/close the slider. Sprint has said not to do what "ttkk1" did by putting something in the battery compartment. unfortunately its hard to find a store that is aware of all of the pre issues, so getting your battery replaced for free through a store may be difficult, but it will solve the issue (unless its a software issue in the phone - in which case the tape/paper in the battery compartment will not do anything)


    to the OP:
    get it replaced under 30 days if you can. sounds like a software issue.

    to others:
    get your battery replaced via the 1 year warranty through palm - not a sprint store (sprint ≠ palm). Sprint stores have to buy the batteries, so they have a hard time giving them away for free and taking a defective battery.

    normally you have to ship your defective item to the manufacturer first, then wait 4-6 weeks, then they mail it back, however, with a deposit for the value on a credit card, they should be able to send you a battery first, then you send yours back later (so there is no down time).
  8.    #8  
    Never use to have this issue. A friend from a Sprint store gave me another battery because my original was draining horribly. Then the new one seemed to fix that issue. Now it seems maybe once or twice daily it shuts down.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Any pictures to show exactly how this is done? I talked to Sprint care, and they said they couldn't warranty my battery because it was after 30 days. True? I thought we were covered under 1yr, plus I have the TEC insurance as well.
    TEP and sprint only cover the phone, not the accessories, and the battery is considered an accessory (same with chargers/cases/clips/cables etc).

    you might want to find out if its a battery problem before you go through the steps of getting the battery replaced. take the back off of the phone and see how much you can wiggle the battery, and see if the phone powers off while you wiggle, if it powers off, you can assume its a battery contact issue. if you can not wiggle the battery (because its tight) and the phone does not power off while you wiggle, then its a software issue with the phone and you need the phone replaced.

    phones randomly resetting/powering off is a very common problem (with all makes and models), and its mostly defective software in the phone.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsandwich View Post
    TEP and sprint only cover the phone, not the accessories, and the battery is considered an accessory (same with chargers/cases/clips/cables etc).

    you might want to find out if its a battery problem before you go through the steps of getting the battery replaced. take the back off of the phone and see how much you can wiggle the battery, and see if the phone powers off while you wiggle, if it powers off, you can assume its a battery contact issue. if you can not wiggle the battery (because its tight) and the phone does not power off while you wiggle, then its a software issue with the phone and you need the phone replaced.

    phones randomly resetting/powering off is a very common problem (with all makes and models), and its mostly defective software in the phone.

    Understandable, except it has never done it since launch, till now. I would rather keep my rather solid slider, all the ones I see have loose sliders. Pretty afraid to exchange it.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Understandable, except it has never done it since launch, till now. I would rather keep my rather solid slider, all the ones I see have loose sliders. Pretty afraid to exchange it.
    normally the refirbs have fixes in them that the new phones do not. simple things mostly, for instance they put a little sticky pad near the ribbon of another phone to prevent the ribbon from wearing out. this did not come on the NEW phones, only refirbs.

    you might get a refirb that has a simple fix for the slider issue.. but i would still wait a little while longer

    also i personally dont like having a refirb just because you never know who the previous owner was and i always think it was some greasy crackhead and i dont want that by my face
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsandwich View Post
    its a software issue if the phone turns itself off while sitting down. its a battery contact issue when the phone restarts when you open/close the slider. Sprint has said not to do what "ttkk1" did by putting something in the battery compartment. unfortunately its hard to find a store that is aware of all of the pre issues, so getting your battery replaced for free through a store may be difficult, but it will solve the issue (unless its a software issue in the phone - in which case the tape/paper in the battery compartment will not do anything)


    to the OP:
    get it replaced under 30 days if you can. sounds like a software issue.

    to others:
    get your battery replaced via the 1 year warranty through palm - not a sprint store (sprint ≠ palm). Sprint stores have to buy the batteries, so they have a hard time giving them away for free and taking a defective battery.

    normally you have to ship your defective item to the manufacturer first, then wait 4-6 weeks, then they mail it back, however, with a deposit for the value on a credit card, they should be able to send you a battery first, then you send yours back later (so there is no down time).
    I've gotten 3 batt's replaced and they gave me 2 extra batteries for free!
    Also, depending how bad the battery connector issue is, when you bumb it it could turn off. So its not just when sliding it up and down, its anytime a vibration or bumb makes it disconnect.
    I've had great luck with sprint insurance, this is my 4th palm pre. I wouldn't recommend shipping it to palm so early, go to a sprint repair store and see if you can haggle a deal with them
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    I've gotten 3 batt's replaced and they gave me 2 extra batteries for free!
    Also, depending how bad the battery connector issue is, when you bumb it it could turn off. So its not just when sliding it up and down, its anytime a vibration or bumb makes it disconnect.
    I've had great luck with sprint insurance, this is my 4th palm pre. I wouldn't recommend shipping it to palm so early, go to a sprint repair store and see if you can haggle a deal with them
    I don't have the slider or loose battery issue. I have tested it, and it does not shut off that way. As for my slider its tight as can be, solid. I think it's a software ordeal within the 1.0.4. I never had this issue before, and it rarely happens.
  14. #14  
    This just started happening to me too. Possibly after the 1.0.4 update was applied. About once a day I find my phone has powered off. I can't wiggle the battery, so I don't think it is the loose battery issue - also, I think the battery would have been loose since I got the phone on 6/8. Again, it just started happening very recently.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    So i'm having a issue that seems very odd to me. Does not happen often, but some times I will pick up my phone and it is off. Maybe see this once or twice a day. Anyone else have a similar issue?
    I had the exact same problem with my phone. I suggest calling customer service and speaking with a tech support rep. So they can document the problem in your account. be sure to explan to them that your unit has a manufacturer defect and you're looking to get a replacement. That's what I did and now I have a refurb that I love more than the original phone I purchased. Completely solid with no problems.
  16. fraz's Avatar
    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    I had the exact same problem with my phone. I suggest calling customer service and speaking with a tech support rep. So they can document the problem in your account. be sure to explan to them that your unit has a manufacturer defect and you're looking to get a replacement. That's what I did and now I have a refurb that I love more than the original phone I purchased. Completely solid with no problems.
    Which CS did you call? Sprint or Palm?
  17. #17  
    I handled everything through sprint. After I spoke with the tech support rep he directed me to a sprint repair service store and I explained my problem to someone there. they placed an order for a refurb and had me go back to pick it up in 5 days.
  18. #18  
    I had the same problem. Sprint rep said there is an issue with the battery making proper connection. Switched out my Pre for a new one. Said some are putting paper in the battery compartment to force the connection. This shpuld never be done. Just take it in for an exchange.

Posting Permissions