Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I wonder WHY Barron's didn't report this today:

...However, Dede’s claim of a 40 percent return rate may be highly exaggerated, say four analysts polled by Wired.com.

“I would suspect that the Pre return rates would be in line or a little lower than the average smartphone,” says Michael Gartenberg, vice president of strategy for research firm Interpret. “Most consumers who bought the Pre were early adopters who were waiting for the phone and knew what they are buying into at this point.” Palm did not respond to a request for comment.

For his analysis, Dede ran a poll on the Pre Central website forum asking readers how many times they have exchanged their Pres. He also did some “impromptu questioning” of managers at some Sprint, Best Buy and Radio Shack stores.

The results that stem from that kind of unscientific data gathering could be rather flawed, says Carlo Longino, an independent mobile analyst. “The methodology here is a little suspect,” he says. “It’s hard to put too much stock into data that comes from running an anonymous poll in an online message board.”

Charles Golvin, a mobile analyst at Forrester agrees. “It strikes me as highly speculative and not based on a reliable data source,” he says. “I personally have not heard anything to indicate such a high return rate.”
    Nothing Unusual in Palm Pre Return Rates, Say Analysts | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Instead we have to hear it from a technology magazine rather than a market magazine.

This is what Barron's tech blog reported:

Report: More Palm Pre Returns? Strong iPhone Debut

Tech Trader Daily - Barron’s Online : Report: More Palm Pre Returns? Strong iPhone Debut
    “It wasn’t just one big thing about the Pre that I didn’t like,” says Knopp. “There were a lot of short-term deal breakers.”

“The iPhone 3GS is the same price and has better features,”

They may not be unusual. But they are certainly justified.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hedwiglives View Post
    “It wasn’t just one big thing about the Pre that I didn’t like,” says Knopp. “There were a lot of short-term deal breakers.”

They may not be unusual. But they are certainly justified.
    Right. Based on your citing of their citing of one single purchaser? Wired kinda blew that part of the story by going so ridiculously and singularly anecdotal.

There's also a difference between exchanged because of a manufacturing defect for a new Pre and returned. Lots of people seem to be mixing the two up including the original analyst Dede and his absurd assumptions based on the unscientific poll on this website of EXCHANGES, not returns.

I suspect analysts talking their books up and competitors down.
    Only Palm and Sprint know for sure. If they say nothing about sales and are hush hush like the Instinct then I'd wager it wasn't up to par. Return rates should be available in the next 10q or maybe the one after. I don't follow Palm's financials close as I don't believe in the company as an investment but it should be easily available to anyone that can do simple math and search Edgar's.
    The iPhone is most certainly not the same price. My family plan with iPhones priced at $255 and my family plan with Pres priced at $157. $2,352 dollars difference over the contract.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjim View Post
    The iPhone is most certainly not the same price. My family plan with iPhones priced at $255 and my family plan with Pres priced at $157. $2,352 dollars difference over the contract.
    Yeah, baby! Enough to build a Dunkin' Donuts in outer space.
    Last edited by SharonW; 07/21/2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjim View Post
    Amen. Do people really *not* get that the cost of ownership must be calculated over the TERM OF YOUR CONTRACT.

I need to go eat doughnuts now... in space.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    His very first post in the forum:

Quote Originally Posted by hedwiglives View Post
    It doesn't suprise me. Everyone I know that has had a Pre has either returned or exchanged it.
    16 more posts, nothing constructive, just a bunch of whining and bashing.

Another one for the list.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post

I'm seeing a lot of that lately. It seemed to grow with the negative news from that ***** analyst. Shorts do and will come to sites like this to sow seeds of negativity, otherwise known as FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt). Now that they know this is the number one site for the Pre, they'll stick around in abundance. The stock has 74% of its total float shorted!!!

It's almost too bad the moderators are so fair. It allows that type of crap to flourish, but I can't see a way around it either without going Nazi.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    It's funny, this thread has 8 replies. Complaint threads have multiple pages.
    People just like drama and vitriol i suppose.

Bump for the truth!! Palm Pre has been returned no more or no less than any 1.0 device.
    It's just with the advent of the iphone that people become increasingly critical and vocal of any device's supposed "shortcomings"
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Amen. Do people really *not* get that the cost of ownership must be calculated over the TERM OF YOUR CONTRACT.

I need to go eat doughnuts now... in space.
    You are right about AT&T vs. Sprint.

But you could by an iPhone outright, unlock it and run it on T-Mobile and save even more money than the Pre on Sprint. On T-Mobile you can get 1000 minutes, unlimited web and 400 SMS / MMS for $51 per month (but you'd lose 3G which I think is overrated anyway). Even versus Sprint's cheapest 450 minute plan you'd save $432 over two years which would more than make up the difference in price of paying list price for the iPhone. Oh, and that's with no contract and no commitment.

So you can actually run an iPhone cheaper than the Pre if you really want to (this is what I did with my iPhone).
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    It's funny, this thread has 8 replies. Complaint threads have multiple pages.
    People just like drama and vitriol i suppose.

Bump for the truth!! Palm Pre has been returned no more or no less than any 1.0 device.
    It's just with the advent of the iphone that people become increasingly critical and vocal of any device's supposed "shortcomings"
    I actually think that lots of the criticisms of late are a concerted effort and not merely actual owner complaints. Dig it? I've seen this kind of behavior before.

But, thanks for the bump up!!!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Nasa delayed sending my dunkin donuts AGAIN!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    Nasa delayed sending my dunkin donuts AGAIN!
    Sorry. They're still nursing hangovers from their moon-landing anniversary party. Bing, bing, bing today...not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    I actually think that lots of the criticisms of late are a concerted effort and not merely actual owner complaints. Dig it? I've seen this kind of behavior before.

But, thanks for the bump up!!!
    I think most of the complaints are legitimate. This is pretty much the same as when the 700p came out. Lots of people complaining about the device and lots of people wondering if all the complaints were real. When everything was said and done I think we can now safely say there were problems with that device that impacted a lot of people and Palm didn't handle it as well as they could have.

In this case I think sooner or later we'll know for sure that there really are / were problems that affected a significant number of Pre owners too.

It's honestly a bit too paranoid to me to think that large numbers of people have jumped on PreCentral and posted negative comments on hundreds of random threads just to further some nefarious purpose. Sure you might get the occasional nut, but a concerted widespread effort? I don't think so.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I think most of the complaints are legitimate. This is pretty much the same as when the 700p came out. Lots of people complaining about the device and lots of people wondering if all the complaints were real. When everything was said and done I think we can now safely say there were problems with that device that impacted a lot of people and Palm didn't handle it as well as they could have.

In this case I think sooner or later we'll know for sure that there really are / were problems that affected a significant number of Pre owners too.

It's honestly a bit too paranoid to me to think that large numbers of people have jumped on PreCentral and posted negative comments on hundreds of random threads just to further some nefarious purpose. Sure you might get the occasional nut, but a concerted widespread effort? I don't think so.
    Are you kidding me? When there's money involved, and there is...a crapload, yes, they will do this. It is a noted net phenomenon. I just don't make this stuff up.

While, granted, there are some legitimate issues, these people will pile on to make it seem far worse. FUD.

You see, the stock...PALM, has absolutely trounced multitudes of shorts. The shorts have literally lost their shirts and their shorts. The stock has defied every naysayer for the past six months. Being short is the most dangerous position you can take on a stock because you're betting it's going down and there is no top to how far up it can continue to rally or how much money you can lose being short. This is unlike owning a stock where 0 is as low as you can go.

I have seen this happen before to bigger companies than Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post

This is not your forum.

People should add you to the control freak list.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Are you kidding me? When there's money involved, and there is...a crapload, yes, they will do this. It is a noted net phenomenon. I just don't make this stuff up.

While, granted, there are some legitimate issues, these people will pile on to make it seem far worse. FUD.

You see, the stock...PALM, has absolutely trounced multitudes of shorts. The shorts have literally lost their shirts and their shorts. The stock has defied every naysayer for the past six months. Being short is the most dangerous position you can take on a stock because you're betting it's going down and there is no top to how far up it can continue to rally or how much money you can lose being short. This is unlike owning a stock where 0 is as low as you can go.

I have seen this happen before to bigger companies than Palm.
    I understand that there are people losing a lot of money on shorts. But to suggest that a meaningful portion of the complaints posted here are from them? That I'm not buying. I don't see these people paying off large numbers of PreCentral users or hiring large numbers of outsiders to post these complaints.

I also don't see anything that goes on here having a significant impact on Palm's stock price. I think such people would get more bang for their buck subverting Palm in some other way.
    Hey, if I was short on Palm stock, I'd be trying anything I could think of to make the stock fall. All the negatives on this site just don't ring true to me. I'm sure some are true. Nothing manufactured is likely to be 100 percent perfect, but as a proud owner of multiple 700p's all of which worked well, I'm skeptical.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    This is not your forum.

People should add you to the control freak list.
    Do you enjoy reading this? I do:

From http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/ :

Look this is typical. You start with a flamebait post where you indirectly insult "some" apple users and now when people react you attempt to engage them into a flamewar.

Mal, you`re not fooling anybody. You`re the one creating the problems here. Why are you feigning this indignance when it was YOU who is initiating everything? How much more disingenious can a person get?

How obnoxious.
    Let's all take a step back here folks. Does it not appear that the ones who are angriest with the iphone and most intent on instigating here are the windows crowd?

Regarding letting.... it.... go. Why haven't you taken your own advice? Seems all you guys do here is bash the iphone ALL day long and you talk about not being able to let... it... go?

Now the n-word comment? You just keep hanging yourself the more you talk.

This is priceless. Apple's arrogance has absolutely nothing on the windoze drones here.
    All speculation. There will always be some, as with ANY new phone, who will express disappointment with this or that, but nevertheless, the iphone will be an outstanding success. No phone pleases everybody, as you know, so naturally there will be some detractors as well as proponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj
    I think it is funny that the iPhone fanboys among us that this thread and people who participate in any criticism to mean that we don't think there is anything good about the iPhone. " 10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one) doesn't mean there aren't 10 things that are absolutely wonderful. Maybe I'll start another thread...
    So no pro-apple posts are allowed in an iphone bashing thread? This is getting even better.
    I must REALLY be getting under your skin for you to keep trying to say I'm posting in some iphone blog. For all we know that's YOU posting there!!!!

I don't think you can stand to hear anyone undermining your little status toy, so you come up with little lies like this to try to combat what you view as an affront to you and your little toy.

I see liars here who don't know they are liars... Something like THAT.

Liar = Troll.
    The fact that I don't seem to be able to add you to my Ignore list is a sign of psychological problems. Your persistence is just captivating. I promise I will seek help.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast