Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I understand that there are people losing a lot of money on shorts. But to suggest that a meaningful portion of the complaints posted here are from them? That I'm not buying. I don't see these people paying off large numbers of PreCentral users or hiring large numbers of outsiders to post these complaints.

I also don't see anything that goes on here having a significant impact on Palm's stock price. I think such people would get more bang for their buck subverting Palm in some other way.
    Well, let's check the evidence. You're commenting in a thread that was started because an analyst at Barrons used a thread on an internet forum, containing an anonymous poll as a basis for making stock recommendations. Am I off on something there?? If you buy that as honest analysis and/or journalism, then I've got a bridge in Manhattan with your name on it.

And you don't have to pay off Apple fanboys to do anything. Ask my good buddy Treobk.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Gmoney FTW! Lol... I wish this forum would show the IP of all posters. I sometimes wonder if a few bad apples (hahhah) have created multiple accounts for the purpose of appearing to corroborate their own claims. I don't doubt, of course, that there have been users with legitimate problems... But I never 'misunderestimate' what people are capable of. Particularly given my experience of having administrated fairly large forums that were home to fanboys of several similar apps that were competing for popularity.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Oh, GMoney, that was priceless. Simply priceless.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Well, let's check the evidence. You're commenting in a thread that was started because an analyst at Barrons used a thread on an internet forum, containing an anonymous poll as a basis for making stock recommendations. Am I off on something there?? If you buy that as honest analysis and/or journalism, then I've got a bridge in Manhattan with your name on it.

And you don't have to pay off Apple fanboys to do anything. Ask my good buddy Treobk.
    LOL! You're on a streak! Let is roll, baby, roll. Let it roll....all night long.
    Sorry guy, have to make a small correction:

because an analyst at Barrons used a thread on an internet forum, containing an anonymous poll as a basis for making stock recommendations.
    Not "an internet forum", but "this internet forum".

I think it would make this a little painfully inaccurate:
    I also don't see anything that goes on here having a significant impact on Palm's stock price. I think such people would get more bang for their buck subverting Palm in some other way.
    when an analyst is making recommendations about selling based on a poll on this forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    LOL! You're on a streak! Let is roll, baby, roll. Let it roll....all night long.
    Hell, I'm supposed to be working. Back to it...
    Gotta love it when a woman says that.

Well, OK, except for the "LOL" part. I hate it when that happens...
    But we digress...
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    But we digress...
    Digression is the better part of valor.

Yeah, I know, I know...but we can be discrete, too, no?
    Yeah, I know, I know...but we can be discrete, too, no?
    Looks like someone else is on a roll now!

You're suggesting then that the analyst has secretly shorted Palm stock and that's why he made his sell recommendation? And he infiltrated PreCentral with his spies months ago and got them to create and vote in that poll just so he could use it as ammunition against Palm? And that he doesn't care that such a blatant and easy to detect artificial manipulation of stock prices would land him in prison for a very long time?

Or maybe, just maybe, people here are real people, really have had some legitimate problems with the Pre (just like with previous Palm products), the analyst saw the poll and made his recommendation based on it, there is no Vast Anti-Palm Conspiracy, and you are all just being comically paranoid?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Looks like someone else is on a roll now!
    Yeah, my fifth rum 'n die. It's definitely a roll.
    You're suggesting then that the analyst has secretly shorted Palm stock and that's why he made his sell recommendation? And he infiltrated PreCentral with his spies months ago and got them to create and vote in that poll just so he could use it as ammunition against Palm? And that he doesn't care that such a blatant and easy to detect artificial manipulation of stock prices would land him in prison for a very long time?

Or maybe, just maybe, people here are real people, really have had some legitimate problems with the Pre (just like with previous Palm products), the analyst saw the poll and made his recommendation based on it, there is no Vast Anti-Palm Conspiracy, and you are all just being comically paranoid?
    Wow, I don't recall suggesting any of that in my post, but let me check.

No, I didn't.

What I AM suggesting is that a crack monkey at the zoo would've been denied treats if he made stock recommendations based on such evidence. And despite the Pre having some build quality issues, there are a lot of people on this forum that are full of crap and many others that are the type of customer who are just not worth the effort. That's my opinion, and if you think that makes me paranoid, well I just don't care.

And maybe, just maybe, if you've returned your phone 7 times it ain't the phone that's the problem.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts

No, I didn't.

What I AM suggesting is that a crack monkey at the zoo would've been denied treats if he made stock recommendations based on such evidence. And despite the Pre having some build quality issues, there are a lot of people on this forum that are full of crap and many others that are the type of customer who are just not worth the effort. That's my opinion, and if you think that makes me paranoid, well I just don't care.

And maybe, just maybe, if you've returned your phone 7 times it ain't the phone that's the problem.
    Clipcarl is quickly becoming Comicalcarl. Talk about your non-intellectual leaps in assumptions. Yikes!

P.S. to Comicalcarl: This is exactly how bad information spreads...the Wired article actually states that the "analyst," (and I quote that term to point out my sarcasm) Dede, did the polling here. I don't think he did, but simply because he cited the poll, Wired now claims he created it, and thus your ridiculous assumption that GMoney was overly paranoid in thinking "analysts" had infiltrated the site is...well...incredibly ironic on multiple levels. Think back to a childhood game called grapevine.

No, I didn't.
    Umm, yes, you did. The conversation we were having was about people that had shorted Palm stock attempting to manipulate it by posting lots of complaints here. You chimed in with the analyst example.

Here's what I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    I understand that there are people losing a lot of money on shorts. But to suggest that a meaningful portion of the complaints posted here are from them? That I'm not buying. I don't see these people paying off large numbers of PreCentral users or hiring large numbers of outsiders to post these complaints.

And here's how you responded to that:
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749
    You are clearly making the suggestion that the analyst is somehow related to those who have shorted Palm stock. I called you on your paranoia and now you are changing your story.
    P.S. to Comicalcarl: This is exactly how bad information spreads...the Wired article actually states that the "analyst," (and I quote that term to point out my sarcasm) Dede, did the polling here. I don't think he did, but simply because he cited the poll, Wired now claims he created it, and thus your ridiculous assumption that GMoney was overly paranoid in thinking "analysts" had infiltrated the site is...well...incredibly ironic on multiple levels. Think back to a childhood game called grapevine.
    You are not making any sense. I think you should have stopped 3 drinks ago. I suggest when you sober up that you reread this thread and then decide whether it really makes sense that financial institution spies intent upon destroying Palm are really overrunning this site or whether you might be a little bit paranoid.
    You are clearly making the suggestion that the analyst is somehow related to those who have shorted Palm stock. I called you on your paranoia and now you are changing your story.
    Well, let me be clear then; I never meant to suggest anything about conspiracies by this guy or anybody else. If I actually believed that, you simply summarizing my post wouldn't cause me to "change my story". I know you're brilliant and all, but let's not get carried away, eh?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    You are not making any sense. I think you should have stopped 3 drinks ago. I suggest when you sober up that you reread this thread and then decide whether it really makes sense that financial institution spies intent upon destroying Palm are really overrunning this site or whether you might be a little bit paranoid.
    Honey, I make more sense with 5 drinks under my belt than you do, stone-cold sober.

Neither I nor GMoney EVER said that financial institutions have sent spies intent on destroying Palm to this site.

What I did say was this "poll" was grossly unscientific and that conclusions drawn from it are suspect given anyone can log in here and vote. It is QUITE WELL KNOWN that shorts will crawl all over sites like this to spread FUD and given Palm is one of the most heavily shorted stocks and this is the number one site for Pre discussions, it's pretty damn apparent they're here now.

And so, you don't understand the game of grapevine? A wee bit beyond your ken? Listen, a week ago this "analyst" CITED the poll conducted on this site as evidence of the return rate (which in and of itself is incorrect as it is a poll about the exchange rate). Now, a week later Wired claims this "analyst" actually conducted the poll on this site. That's how grapevine works. The information gets more and more distorted as it is passed along.

The irony exists because of your illogical conclusion jumping that GMoney and I have suggested we've been invaded by financial institution spies, when in actuality through the echo-chamber of online mags like Wired, it is now being stated that's precisely what happened. Wired says the analyst conducted the poll here. Did you see anything in the poll's original message to suggest he was an analyst? No. The appearance given was one of a Pre purchaser. And the supreme irony is that I believe it IS a Pre purchaser and NOT an analyst.

Get it? Yeesh.
    wow this topic is brutal. Any credible analysis would never take a random poll from an internet forum to base anything monetary. So many people that had even the slightest bad experience will flood the forums with garbage just because they can. The only way to get true numbers for something like this is to umm find the real numbers through sprint or through palm. Most people I find in this forum that complain end up being fans of another product and never even owned the product of the forum they are commenting in. How can you base anything true merit from posts like that?
    Everyone here is right, which is what makes this so much fun. Good heavens, these interesting conversations are much better than anything on tv, I assure you.

Okay, clipcarl is right in his initial thought, which is that there are honestly people out there who have bought Pres and have found the hardware to be unsatisfactory and have returned or exchanged them. Probably the poll on this site is not swayed by numerous people who are lying.

But SharonW and GMoney are right too--there are people who do spread FUD for the purpose of protecting their short position, and undoubtedly there are some forum comments here that fall into that category.

The "analyst" Dede didn't need to do that. The fact that he used this forum and a poll on it as a basis for a sell recommendation is almost transparently an effort to get the stock to drop. He knew what he said would resonate in the echo chamber since it was against the grain. He didn't need any spies, he just worked the system.

So everyone is right. I hope you'll all shoot me down so that the drama can continue, because when you all get rolling, it's massively entertaining.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast