1.    #1  
    I finally overcame my hesitation of rooting the pre and now that I want to, it is not working.

This is what I did. I installed python, webosdoctor, and dowloaded the novacom proxy. The novacom drivers are installed properly.

I got to the point when your in putty and you change the two options to "force off" and pressed open.

When I press open, a box pops up but with no text and goes away.

Omg please help. I am getting frustrated, pissed, and cursing up a storm!

Fixed: See post #6 by pharsons.
    Last edited by Muyiwafly; 07/22/2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    I finally overcame my hesitation of rooting the pre and now that I want to, it is not working.

This is what I did. I installed python, webosdoctor, and dowloaded the novacom proxy. The novacom drivers are installed properly.

I got to the point when your in putty and you change the two options to "force off" and pressed open.

You're sure you have it set to port 222 (that's not the default)? Also, ensure that you don't have any firewall software blocking you on your PC.
  3.    #3  
    its set to port 8023 like the wiki site said do.
  4.    #4  
    I also tried 222 and nothing.
    I'm surprised that they dont have an app to root your Pre!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post

OK, I just went back and "refreshed my memory" on this. I jumped ahead of where you are with the "port 222" instructions.

Let me double check to make sure of a few things:

• Did you download the Python script?
    • Did it produce an error message? (if you'd like, paste the message it produced here).
    • Did you leave the box running the Python script opened?

Assuming all of the above are "yes"

• Double-check the port that the script is listening on (that's what should be 8023)
    • Make sure you put the port # shown in the box (still opened) in PuTTY as the port, and RAW as the connection type, wth "localhost" (no quotes) as the host, (you want to connect with yourself). If this doesn't work with the rest of the "tips" below, change "localhost" to "127.0.0.1" and try it all again
    • Make sure that set you set "local echo" and "local line editing" to "force off"

Good luck and let us know if this helps
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK, I just went back and "refreshed my memory" on this. I jumped ahead of where you are with the "port 222" instructions.

Let me double check to make sure of a few things:

• Did you download the Python script?
    • Did it produce an error message? (if you'd like, paste the message it produced here).
    • Did you leave the box running the Python script opened?

Assuming all of the above are "yes"

• Double-check the port that the script is listening on (that's what should be 8023)
    • Make sure you put the port # shown in the box (still opened) in PuTTY as the port, and RAW as the connection type, wth "localhost" (no quotes) as the host, (you want to connect with yourself). If this doesn't work with the rest of the "tips" below, change "localhost" to "127.0.0.1" and try it all again
    • Make sure that set you set "local echo" and "local line editing" to "force off"

Good luck and let us know if this helps
    OOOOO my freaking GOD!!!!! I love you man!!!! Just when I thought nobody cared, you come flying in with your generosity and saving the hopeless. I am deeply, deeply, grateful for your help! Really, I dont know what to say or what to do to thank you enough. Thank you so much hparsons!

For anyone who else has this problem and just happens to come to this thread, what I did to fix it was instead of putting localhost, I put in 127.0.0.1. All thanks to pharsons.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    You are clearly the second coming, hparsons.
    It's nice to be loved.

FWIW, the likely reason that "localhost" didn't work was a change hosts file. I've seen it happen before, so put in the IP address as a "just in case".

You should have a file called "hosts" (no extension, and of course, no quotes) in the following location:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

It should contain this line:

Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost
  10.    #10  
    Thanks!!!!