1.    #1  
    What is the function of the lock button on the Pre, and could those functions be accomplished without it (through the software, for example)?

Thanks for your help
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    There is no lock button.

I think you're referring to the vibrate/sound on button.
    -mark
    Do you mean the ringer silencer? It's a quick way to silence the ringer without having to turn the phone on.
  4.    #4  
    I mean the button on the top right. I've been told it's for "locking the screen and turning off the phone". I need to know if that's true and if these functions can be accomplish via other means. i.e. how much of a real defect this is.
    It's to silence the ringer.
    If it's broken so there are no sounds, then it's a big problem, as software won't override it. If it's broken so you can't use it to mute the phone, it's perhaps less of a problem, but Ii don't believe there is an easy way to mute all sounds at once via software. The phone's still under warranty--might as well get one that works. Unless, that is, it's broken because it was dropped or suffered other abuse.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  7.    #7  
    Here's a quote from the pre review on this site:

"As we have all come to expect from Palm products, the Pre has a 'Ringer Switch' on the top that allows you to instantly silence most sounds. Unlike previous Treos from Palm, the Pre's silent switch still allows music and movies to come through the speaker, but it does turn off all other sounds. Next to the ringer switch is the power button that does its job turning the screen on and off and also bringing up a dialog for airplane mode when you hold it down. It is a little hard to press when the slider is open, though."

I'm talking about the power button, not the ringer button.

Any advice?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chabsin View Post
    I mean the button on the top right. I've been told it's for "locking the screen and turning off the phone". I need to know if that's true and if these functions can be accomplish via other means. i.e. how much of a real defect this is.
    I thinks Chasbin is talking about the power button rather than the silence slider/switch thingy. If that is the case, then it is a pretty big issue. To my knowledge, it does the following:

1. press to turn on the phone's screen. if the phone has been off for over a few seconds, it will show the 'locked' screen on which you must use the touchscreen to drag a 'lock' icon outside the bounds of a half circle.

2. press to turn off the phone's screen. the screen will lock if left 'off' for more than a few seconds.

3. press and hold to power off the device.

4. press and hold to power on the device.

5. press and hold, then toggle the ringer switch three times to reset the device. useful for those rare occasions when the device locks up and will not turn off by any other means (short of pulling the battery).

I'm not certain if any of this can be done via API calls, but I'm under the impression that it would be possible if you rooted your phone and can access the underlying OS/services.
    I believe he is talking about the power button too...

In any case, does anyone know if it would be possible to make a "Quick" software volume settings function in the top where you tap to see the battery level, turn on wifi/bluetooth, etc...? There needs to be a quick software method to change the volume settings.

1. Volume loud/vibrate
    2. Volume off
    3. Separate volume/vibrate settings for calls, text/mail messages, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSioux View Post
    I believe he is talking about the power button too...

In any case, does anyone know if it would be possible to make a "Quick" software volume settings function in the top where you tap to see the battery level, turn on wifi/bluetooth, etc...? There needs to be a quick software method to change the volume settings.

1. Volume loud/vibrate
    2. Volume off
    3. Separate volume/vibrate settings for calls, text/mail messages, etc...
    Why is this needed? It was never present on the PalmOS. And no software method will be faster (or even as fast) as toggling the switch on the top or using the rocker switch on the side.