Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm going crazy wondering when pdanet will be available for the pre! My biggest question is will they even be able to do it. I don't mind going without it for awhile, but I'm afraid that it may not be possible to tether without doing the more complicated process of changing code!
    Quote Originally Posted by timo123451 View Post
    I'm going crazy wondering when pdanet will be available for the pre! My biggest question is will they even be able to do it. I don't mind going without it for awhile, but I'm afraid that it may not be possible to tether without doing the more complicated process of changing code!
    It's called My Tether and it works great...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Unless you want to USB tether under Mac OS X 10.5.x
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    If you donate to mytether you can get the beta installer and the software. It works great and can be utilize WIFI, USB or BT for access. I had multiple problems with PDanet on the 650 and this application in my opinion is hands down a better product. .
    Quote Originally Posted by gilroykilroy View Post
    Unless you want to USB tether under Mac OS X 10.5.x
    But BT and Wifi work. I did BT a couple of days ago.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I didn't realize they had an installer. I will definitely check it out! Thanks
    wireless tether is better.

wmwifirouter clone will be sick
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjain View Post
    wireless tether is better.
    A) It isn't secure unless you use WEP2 and even then...
    B) It drains your phone battery pretty fast.

Using USB tethering on my Instinct it actually charges my battery and is as secure as the phone network is (nobody else can use my internet connection.)

Those are the main reasons I want USB tethering and not WiFi or BT.

I would love to trade my Instinct in but can't do without the USB tethering.
    I wouldn't expect to see PDANet for the Pre any time soon, if ever. Assuming the app used the SDK at all, they'd have to sell it through the app store. And Palm has already caved to Sprint once when it comes to tethering. I think it hardly likely they'd thumb their collective nose at Sprint by actually selling a tethering app on the app store.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilroykilroy View Post
    A) It isn't secure unless you use WEP2 and even then...
    B) It drains your phone battery pretty fast.

Using USB tethering on my Instinct it actually charges my battery and is as secure as the phone network is (nobody else can use my internet connection.)

Those are the main reasons I want USB tethering and not WiFi or BT.

I would love to trade my Instinct in but can't do without the USB tethering.
    So plug it in so that it charges but use wifi to connect.. no biggie and it'll still charge/work. if you're worried about security, use bluetooth tethering.

-mark
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    In some ways, MyTether is better than PdaNet (for instance as a WiFI ad-hoc hot spot) and in ways it is a little bit less (you can't proxy a computer connection to make it look like it's actually coming from your phone). It's great to have for those few emergencies when you need it.