1.    #1  
    Is a homebrew app store possible with the current OS?
    I have been wondering the same thing...

- Craig
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Why not, iPhone has "Installous". The're are alot of cracked and un-approved apps you can find in there.
    Ya I'm sure eventually we will have this but for now its just not a priority as we don't have many programs yet.
    I would think that the door is open to a multitude of homebrew apps with the sdk released. Never too soon to take advantage . . .
    Apple has a jailbroken app store called Cydia and I believe the developer is looking into making one for the Pre

Zotdd has made mention of the possibility. - "With word of saurik's ( http://saurik.com ) Cydia coming to the Palm Pre, you can bet I'll be there. "
    That be great! Hopefuly it happens.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhumberger View Post
    Is a homebrew app store possible with the current OS?
    Not without feeling the wrath of Palm's lawyers, because any programmer who distributed an app through a third-party store would be in immediate violation of their SDK license.....
    installous not so much, its not for homebrew, its for cracks. cydia or installer clone, why not?
    Homebrew App catalog with an email option FTW!!!!

Oh, I almost forgot, a rating and comments section would be really nice!
    That would be cool
    So what about open source and linux, if homebrews sold would be considered a violation of the EULA? Is linux not free? Does Palm pay for a license?
    What if the homebrewers were not using their SDK?
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Not without feeling the wrath of Palm's lawyers, because any programmer who distributed an app through a third-party store would be in immediate violation of their SDK license.....
    Actually I'm not so sure of that. You couldn't build an application store with the SDK because it's too far locked down for that. You need constant system access.

Once you have root access to the system then you can probably build an application natively. The problem lies in integrating it into the window system.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Just today I saw another article that had an app just to root the phone instead of typing out the code. So I'm confident someone has thought of this and is making a repository.