View Poll Results: How much charge percent did you lose in one hour?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • I lost less than 6% in one hour (10+ minutes)

26 50.98%
  • I lost between 6% to 9% in one hour (6.7 - 10 minutes)

4 7.84%
  • I lost between 9% to 12% in one hour (5 - 6.7 minutes)

7 13.73%
  • I lost between 12% to 15% in one hour (4 - 5 minutes)

3 5.88%
  • I lost between 15% to 18% in one hour (3.3 - 4 minutes)

1 1.96%
  • I lost more than 18% in one hour (3.3- minutes)

10 19.61%
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    After reading many complaints about how fast the Palm Pre's battery runs out, I would like to ask people to honestly measure their battery and post their results.

My goal here is to measure the average population minutes per charge drain and to see if the problem is really that bad as people claim it to be. I'll be applying some basic statistics as well (why not utilize what I've learned from class?).

Note: The only problem with doing this measurement is that it does not take account of multiple variables: enabled features, signal strength, application settings, and human error. And on top of that, there will be some wide variation since we can not measure what "normal use" is. So there will be some margin of error. But I am not too worried of that since I am focused on the parameter (population).

This is a very unscientific measurement but my method is to:

1. Set at least one hour timespan
    2. Measure the charge remaining once in the beginning
    3. Measure the charge remaining once in the end
    4. Calculate the average battery drain per minute (total battery drained divided by minutes)

I would love to find out two things: the battery drained per minute on both maximum settings and the conservative but usable settings. But the poll only allows for one result. For this poll, I want to find out the average population minutes per battery drain using conservative but usable settings.

The following settings should be this:

• Brightness - Lowest (the screen is bright enough IMHO).
    • Screen Turn Off After - 30 seconds
    • Ringer Switch - Off
    • Vibrate - On
    • Auto Locate - Off
    • Use GPS - Off
    • Background Data Collection - Off
    • WiFi - On
    • Bluetooth - Off
    • Get Email - Manual
    • Show Notification - On

Try to run several apps. If you can not run some of them, substitute them with some of the official apps through Palm (not homebrewed!).

• Messaging
    • Mail
    • Web: precentral.net
    • Tasks
    • Memos
    • Google Maps
    • Calendar
    • Photos

And then finally, just use the phone as you normally would, and post back with the results. The results may be surprising or it may not be.

Calculate by: total minutes / battery drain for average minutes capable per charge drain.

Thank you.
    Last edited by yiffzer; 07/22/2009 at 01:58 AM.
    Testing for only an hour will give unusably inaccurate results because of the way the battery meter works. Only full discharge (from full to empty) would give anything vaguely accurate. See this poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Testing for only an hour will give unusably inaccurate results because of the way the battery meter works. Only full discharge (from full to empty) would give anything vaguely accurate.
    Not to mention variables like signal strength/availability, which apps you're running and the definition of "normal use".
    I intentionally ran by battery down to zero today. With CONTINUOUS use. Not even a single break, (The Goat has come down with strep throat... So he couldn't even leave his bed this morning.) my battery lasted from 12:15pm until 4:45pm.

Brightness maxed, (I found out that brightness doesn't seem to have that much of an adverse effect on battery life... So now my brightness is 3/4 all the time)
    Wi Fi on,
    Constant streaming of Pandora,
    Constant browsing (of these forums mostly),
    Constant texting (I sent well over 50 texts),
    E mail,
    About 30 minutes of YouTube,
    All location services off,
    At least 3 cards open the whole time.

More than 4 hours!!!

Needless to say, the Goat was impressed.

Then I just threw it on the Touchstone while I watched a movie and it was back to 100%.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Testing for only an hour will give unusably inaccurate results because of the way the battery meter works. Only full discharge (from full to empty) would give anything vaguely accurate. See this poll.
    The 12.5 days is a bit excessive. I wanted to poll people within realistic timelength. Even if the results are all over the place, applying statistics, we can see the average over time. My hopes is to get at least a sample size of 30.

Edit: I could have asked people to test theirs from 100% to 0% but I feel this would be an unreasonable request. Who would be willing to set their phone up to specific settings without doing what they wanted for a few hours? I'm not sure. So I feel asking for one hour of their time is reasonable enough and I don't think there's any issues with the battery meter - it is pretty consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I intentionally ran by battery down to zero today. With CONTINUOUS use. Not even a single break, (The Goat has come down with strep throat... So he couldn't even leave his bed this morning.) my battery lasted from 12:15pm until 4:45pm.

Brightness maxed, (I found out that brightness doesn't seem to have that much of an adverse effect on battery life... So now my brightness is 3/4 all the time)
    Wi Fi on,
    E mail,

More than 4 hours!!!

Then I just threw it on the Touchstone while I watched a movie and it was back to 100%.
    Damn Goat, that sucks. I got a horrible flu going on right now and I am in the middle of a trial. FML is appropriate here.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Wi Fi on,
    E mail,

More than 4 hours!!!

So, if it is more than 4 hours, this means: 4*60 = 240; 240/100 = 2.4 minutes per charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Damn Goat, that sucks. I got a horrible flu going on right now and I am in the middle of a trial. FML is appropriate here.
    No good brother. I threw myself on Z Pack and I seem to be feeling much better. So that's nice I suppose.

How's your Pre battery treating you? Mine hasn't been bad at all.

I was thinking about writing yet another review for the Pre to follow up that silly preview thread I had. Then I was thinking I would write another review about the Pre about a year from now to see how far the OS has come. I'm just not sure if anyone would care. Our forums seem to be filling up with meanies as of late.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    So, if it is more than 4 hours, this means: 4*60 = 240; 240/100 = 2.4 minutes per charge.
    Hmmm. That sounds bad though! I was really impressed with my Pre holding up for that long after the torture I put it through.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Hmmm. That sounds bad though! I was really impressed with my Pre holding up for that long after the torture I put it through.
    I think four hours for your heavy use is good. Signal strength is the biggest impactor of battery life, in my experience. And the nice thing about the Pre is that the charger, the Touchstone at least, can fully charge within a couple of hours if you run it down to zero.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I have been plotting my battery usage while I am at work almost hourly, every day since I got my Pre (I've only had it a week). It varies greatly depending on usage. Just by looking at the data, I can easily tell when I was using the web/pandora, and when I was just using messenger or email, and when it was just sitting idle.

My worst (most usage) day ever was 2.5 minutes/% drained. I used the web or pandora the for the whole charge.
    On my "average" days (using the web now and then, and letting it sit idle (standby) more than half the time), I get about 4.4-5.4 minutes/% drained.
    On my best day (I forgot to bring my charging cable to work, so I just let it sit in standby most of the day), I got 10.7 minutes/% drained.

I can even notice a difference while it is charging depending on when I use the web/pandora. It charges a little bit slower than when it is just idle or just doing emails.

just my 2 cents.
    (NOTE: I rarely ever use the Pre as a telephone, so I don't have any accurate data on battery drain during voice calls.)
    Last edited by polecat99; 07/21/2009 at 04:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    It is interesting seeing where the battery performs best and poorly under certain circumstances. Thanks for chiming in here with your observations. I am hoping to see more people post their results.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    bryanmsi, dtrose, FLY_N_NE_WEATHR, hedwiglives:

Can you post more information on certain variables of how and where this was being tested? Signal levels? High usage? Et Cetera...
    I think you set email to manual as an equalizer. setting it to as it arrives has too many variables of how many emails you get. more importantly Exchange vs. yahoo vs. gmail etc..
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Thank you! I didn't think of this.

Edited first post.
    Mine used 9% over an hour. I had 2 programs consistently running. Homebrew timer, and homebrew tracker (using the gps location services). So considering those 2 were running, I don't think 9% is a huge deal.

UPDATE: I ran it again this morning, using it minimally with my normal settings including no wifi, no bluetooth, location services on, but not using them. Checked a few emails and some texts and after an hour had lost 3%
    Last edited by aolbites; 07/23/2009 at 03:46 AM.
    Seems to me that the "WiFi On" spec for this test really throws things off. Seems that people will be using their cell phone the most when they are not at a desk (nor near a computer), and thus not using WIFI...no? the WIFI seems to lengthen the battery life a bit
    since you are not using the cell radio...*in other words, these are not the maximum settings, seeing as wifi actually saves battery power when there is a wifi signal.*
    A test with WIFI off would be a lot more interesting to me.
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 07/22/2009 at 09:56 AM.
    Seems like a fairly complex list of items to take into acoount statistically? How do you plan to factor or weight each of the variables? What assumptions will you make?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    @ronnienyc: In this test, my goal was to get consistent results. I actually intended on people to use WiFi connection to test battery life because I can not depend on people's reception as they can range from poor to excellent. A poor signal would hurt the battery performance while a good signal would make it shine. Using WiFi consumes much less power and should be a better indicator of overall battery life. However, the only flaw is that I can not guarantee that all of the population data actually utilized WiFi, which is why I mentioned a margin of error. I would ask people to use their cell radio instead of WiFi, only if all of the population were able to get 5 bars.

@Nurgling: It is an attempt to receive near true results from consistent settings, or in a scientific sense, a good control. With these settings that I requested (which would be my assumption in the first place), I would figure out the true average of battery life and see if the Palm Pre owners would deem it acceptable. Then maybe when the update comes out and supposedly it starts improving battery performance, then the same test would be conducted and get the true average performance gain.

In all honesty? I'm doing this for ****s and giggles. It's fun since I'm taking a statistics class now.

I hope I answered your question correctly, if anything.