Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I bought my Pre on Day 1 at a Sprint Store in New York. When I returned to California and needed to return my defective Pre (within the 30 days), but the Radio Shack didn't have any Pre's. They gave me permission to return it after the 30 days, but when they finally got 1 unit, it was the loosest slider I've seen. The Radio Shack guy said his Sprint rep told him it could be exchanged at the Sprint store.

The first Sprint store told me they couldn't do it, and I had to go to the Sprint store that does repairs. I went there and they tried to give me a refurb.

Any ideas? This is really messed up.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Request a new phone. Talk to the manager.
    And if they don't cooperate at that level, cancel and get a refund. However, you might want to consider whether or not your willing to take a refurb.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    If it was within 30 days when you made the request, you have every right to get a new phone. I did the same thing, mind you at a Sprint store but the same idea, where once I got my replacement it was three weeks after I made the request. It was a refurb and it was worse than my original. Since they didn't have any in stock, the manager ended up telling me to go through Asurion and have a new one sent, which was perfect, and he would credit me my deductible.

If you explain that you put in your request prior to the 30 day period, they will have to abide by the new replacement policy, even if it is a few weeks after. Just make sure you have it documented of when you made your request and talk to the manager and explain exactly the situation and you should be fine. Remember that people are people and if you treat them right they will help you out.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Why not look at the refurb they want to give you and check it out. It may be fine, in which case you've got nothing to complain about. A new one won't guarantee you perfection, either.

Otherwise, you could just wait for Radio Shack to get more, since they've agreed to extend your exchange period.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I would also look at the Refurb as well. I would think the ones in the system now might just be returns or ones they had to go over . This is better control then those coming off the line so you might make out.

If it's not up to par then just request a new one at that time.
    YMMV, but the refurbs coming to my local stores are actually NOT refurbs. They are marked in the system as refurbs but if you go into ##786#, you will see the recondstatus as NO. Sprint is doing that to protect themselves from reseller fraud. I am not saying this is the case with every Pre and every store, but just because its marked in the system as Refurb status, doesn't mean its actually a refurbed phone.

Ask to see the phone, and even before it's activated, you can make emergency calls... tap that on the bottom and it brings up the dialer with 911 in the top, delete it out and put in ##786#, Reverse Logistics Support will come up... Reconddate should be blanked out as well as Recondstatus should be no. The only place where refurb is seen, is on the Sprint side in their systems, for reactivation purposes.

Let us know.
    refurbs are fine, if it works.

just accept it and move on...much worst things to worry about than a "refurbed" phone.

caveat: make sure you test the phone prior to leaving the store.
    In addition to my previous post... the Warranty date on the devices I checked out was 7/6/2009 (but didn't swap, slightly better build, but it didn't offset the ardious task of restore, I miss simplistic restores ).

After this weekend, a few crappy keyboard lock ups and freezes, I believe I might wait til Wednesday's rumored *coughcough* 1.1 release date, if responsiveness doesn't get fixed from that... I'll go get the swap.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I had to get a replacement because my first phone died, and I got a refurb (well, it was in a refurb box but recond status says "no"). Its in great condition. Refurb does not necessarily equal bad phone.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I've never cared about accepting a refurb. As long as it works, it works. I generally have kept TEP since I started buying more expensive models, so what does it matter. Even if it breaks, Sprint will fix it or give me ANOTHER refurb.

The way some of the earlier builds look, I might prefer to have one that's been worked on again by techs, than one straight off the faulty line. IMO
    If you bought it at Radioshack, Radioshack will give you a new one within the 30 days, guaranteed. They are required send any activated units back to the factory.
    i had a battery problem with the pre i purchased on 6/6/09 and it was already past the 30 day exchange period so, i went to the sprint store and they swapped it out for a refurb and it feels really solid. i havenít had any problems yet. as a matter of fact im happier with this one than with my original. remember that you do not have to pay a deductible if you're exchanging your phone due to a manufacturer defect. the sprint rep i dealt with tried to tell me i had to pay the deductible..... i just laughed in his face. needless to say i didn't have to pay a thing.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Actually, the one the Sprint rep tried to give me was a return that was marked as a refurb. I called Sprint customer service today since I noticed an activation charge and an upgrade fee on my bill for my last exchange and they said they're going to have Palm send one out to me.
    it really depends on the store that you go to. If you buy it at radio shack then take it to Bob's Wireless Store, he cant exchange it for a new one. hell, even an officially labeled corporate sprint store isnt supposed to exchange it for a NEW one. They would basically have give you a Pre for free, and have to talk to their corporate reps to refund their money for covering a completely different store's ***.

The store that does repairs will likely only exchange it for a refirb (since that's what repair stores do - they order replacements which are refirbs). Honestly I wouldnt even mess with other stores, just take it back to where you got it and make them do all the work.

Other than that, you could just take the refirb.. most of them are better than the new ones anyway, since they are refirbed like 5 days before you get it in your hands, you can be sure it has the most updated hardware/software..
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsandwich View Post
    it really depends on the store that you go to. If you buy it at radio shack then take it to Bob's Wireless Store, he cant exchange it for a new one. hell, even an officially labeled corporate sprint store isnt supposed to exchange it for a NEW one. They would basically have give you a Pre for free, and have to talk to their corporate reps to refund their money for covering a completely different store's ***.

The store that does repairs will likely only exchange it for a refirb (since that's what repair stores do - they order replacements which are refirbs). Honestly I wouldnt even mess with other stores, just take it back to where you got it and make them do all the work.

Other than that, you could just take the refirb.. most of them are better than the new ones anyway, since they are refirbed like 5 days before you get it in your hands, you can be sure it has the most updated hardware/software..
    A lot of bad information in this post.

My refurb that I got today, a few hours ago, had version 1.0.3; Sprint is an authorized Palm Seller and therefore officially the product can be turned back to Sprint to be handled for warranty work, either by doing the fix there, replacement, or sending it back to Palm (a lot of the times they will claim they don't have to, but actually they do and customers take that for face value and never argue it). The NEW/REFURB status issue is simply because Sprint needs to avoid fraud in their system; again I am case in point; in the Sprint system, it is showing that I have a REFURB status phone, but the phone itself is not showing that nor is it a refurb'd phone (this thing is brand new, trust me). Sprint does NOT want phones in the hands of resellers that can be sold as new, the only people who can use those phones are people who have had a Palm Pre previously on their account and are getting a swap due to warranty issues. Those phones can NOT be used on New Lines / Previous customers w/out Pre's.
    How many days have you had it?
    RadioShack can swap you for a new one if they get one in. They should remeber your predicament if you went in before 30 days. They can send them back for credit even if they are more days past the thirty. Talk to the manager. You can also have them check other area stores. RadioShack is now sending Pres to nearly every store.