Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I've been having horrible battery life with my 3rd Pre. My 1st one was horrible, then inexplicably got better. My 2nd was great from day one. This 3rd one has been horrible from day one, but I was hoping it would cure itself. Sadly, it hasn't. And truth be told, I think it's gotten worse.

I keep GPS off, only one email account with push notifications, and I barely browse on the thing. Music? Forget it- can't do it if I want to be able to use my phone for it's namesake- that is, make calls on it. I love the Pre. More specifically, I think I love the idea of the Palm Pre. I'm becoming a little disillusioned with it as the days go on, because there's just no consistency with the build quality, and no accountability from either Sprint or Palm. And that's my biggest issue, I think- the circular logic that someone else will take care of the problem, because god forbid either of them admit there's an issue.

I just don't get it- we're early adopters, all of us. In reality, we're beta testers that pay for the product, and normally, I'm okay with that. That's assuming, of course, that the company takes care of it's customers, and I'm not finding that to be the case. Sprint tells me Palm is the one who takes care of the phone issues, Palm tells me Sprint takes care of it. Meanwhile, I'm paying(!) for the privilege of taking my faulty phone back to Sprint to the tune of $7 per month. When I do take it back, they attempt to charge me $35 to return a defective item, standing behind flawed interpretations of the corporate policy.

My first phone's gesture area stopped working. My second had a bubble underneath the screen. My third has battery life so bad, that while I was writing this, it dropped from 18% battery life, to 10%. I fear the worst, should I try to update the title again.

This post was initially going to be about the battery life, but it's turned out to be much more: I'm a dissatisfied customer of both Palm and Sprint. My initial confidence in dumping Apple and T-Mobile was that both of my newly chosen company alliances were in a must-win situation. That confidence has waned, and knowing that other people on this and other boards have had similar situations and thoughts to my own, I think it's time we as consumers fight back.

I propose a coordinated, planned, consumer-retaliation to both companies. Although they seem blissfully unaware of problems on an individual basis, they would be remiss to ignore the masses. It can be something as simple as a pre-formed email sent to both Sprint and Palm's CEO, or an actual snail-mail letter to the aforementioned folks. All I know is, SOMETHING has to be done. When there's a problem, the good companies step up, and the bad ones don't. Let's just see which ones we've chosen, shall we?
    I agree...maybe start an online petition?
    I started by taking my phone off the charger at 6am I have had roughly 42 calls. We use yammer for my work so I get a sms message ever 3 minutes so after a rough count ending at 5pm I had received and replied to about 92 sms messages. I had used the sprint navigation for about 30 minutes one way and received about 58 emails. Now at 8:30pm I have a good 20% left in my battery. I have 3 exchange email accounts currently configured all with as it arrives. My gps stay on as well as wi-fi. The only think I can think of that makes my battery last so long is that I am never in a bad signal area. I have yet to have a dropped call so I guess I'm just lucky.

I really don't think the majority of pre owners have issues. I have been to 3 different sprint stores in the last couple of days (wifes 3 year old phone is finally starting to die.) and none of them have said there were many if any pre returns.
    That's true. My battery life is respectful enough that I don't go around expecting it to never need a charge for the next week with heavy usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    I started by taking my phone off the charger at 6am I have had roughly 42 calls. We use yammer for my work so I get a sms message ever 3 minutes so after a rough count ending at 5pm I had received and replied to about 92 sms messages. I had used the sprint navigation for about 30 minutes one way and received about 58 emails. Now at 8:30pm I have a good 20% left in my battery. I have 3 exchange email accounts currently configured all with as it arrives. My gps stay on as well as wi-fi. The only think I can think of that makes my battery last so long is that I am never in a bad signal area. I have yet to have a dropped call so I guess I'm just lucky.

I really don't think the majority of pre owners have issues. I have been to 3 different sprint stores in the last couple of days (wifes 3 year old phone is finally starting to die.) and none of them have said there were many if any pre returns.
    That is simply amazing! I can't wait til my area gets 3G if it improves battery life that much. I am in a strictly 1X area and I can NOT use any additional features on my phone if I want to get through the day. I'm all for an online petition or something but I'll wait to see what the upcoming update brings. I've heard that battery life improves dramatically with CPU scaling so hopefully Palm implements that soon.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
    I agree...maybe start an online petition?
    That sounds like a plan. How/where is a good place to start? I'd ideally like to get as many people from as many boards as possible to sound off on it. Things need to drastically change, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    That may be true, and provides even more incentive to actually let both companies know what the issues are. "The vocal few", as they say. I also think some people may be more willing to deal with issues than others, and to them, they become non-issues. But there are people like me on their third phone- some are on their fifth or sixth.

It's not convenient to switch phones, unlike a certain fruit company's wares. I say that because the people switching aren't just finding issues for the sake of being inconvenienced. The problem is not that the phone has it's share of issues, rather the two companies lack of owning up to their respective problems. An online petition sounds like the easiest solution, and as long as a company may pay attention and possibly help those who sign the petition, I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedisrus View Post
    That is simply amazing! I can't wait til my area gets 3G if it improves battery life that much. I am in a strictly 1X area and I can NOT use any additional features on my phone if I want to get through the day. I'm all for an online petition or something but I'll wait to see what the upcoming update brings. I've heard that battery life improves dramatically with CPU scaling so hopefully Palm implements that soon.
    if I were you I would be certain to implement the 1x only mode using ##3836# form the dialpad. It will keep the phone from searching for evdo and can literaly double the battery life, it has for me when I visit my mom or wifes parents both live in poor reception areas. Also try updating the prl.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoustipster View Post
    if I were you I would be certain to implement the 1x only mode using ##3836# form the dialpad. It will keep the phone from searching for evdo and can literaly double the battery life, it has for me when I visit my mom or wifes parents both live in poor reception areas. Also try updating the prl.
    I like this!
    Have you performed any of the steps to improve battery here in the sticky also featured in the tips and tricks

In addition to those other things that drain the battery faster that should be turned off or delete connection to: AIM and google IM logoff when not in use or if you don't use them at all remove the account from the messaging app. Twitter clients tweed and spaz turn off periodic updates/notifications I know when turning on the notifications option in tweed this drained my battery significantly faster. So many of the battery drainage issues are resolved by simple user controllable tweeking of turning on when needed and off when not features and severing connections to things never used and the other things to reduce consumption.

Outside of that figure from 100% to powering off the following separate tasks: 4 hours talk time, about 6 hours of streaming music, about 3.5 hours of video (not sure if this is streaming). Texting, emailing, web browsing, not cpu intensive applications are hard to quantify in this manner. But during those tasks the illumination of the screen probably drains the battery more than those tasks (outside of the frequency and amount of texts and email recieved).

So to attempt to quantify in example form your usage talk time used 26 minutes (consumed 11%) just being on for 12 hours consumed 40% to 60% based on best to average idle consumption reports. That is a combined range of 51 to 71% consumption from just those two facts from your report. This doesn't factor in any variable like if you have bad signal spots for any or all of the 12 hours.

When I 1st got my pre I too was seeing similar results as you describe. But after taking steps to follow all the savings tips possible including turning off IM services and the periodic twitter update checks/notifications from the twitter clients I went from what you described of getting close to powering off after 12 hours to getting about 20 hours by the time I hit about 20% left. So I'm really curious to know if there are power savings tips that have not been performed.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    50 mins of calls, a few times on the web and a you tube video, 5 texts. 60% battery left (took off charger 8 hours ago).

Not checking email every second..
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I had a treo 800w before my Pre and the battery life on that phone was garbage, so far this one seems to be much better
    My battery life is respectable but nothing to write home about. It should have come with the 1350mAh battery but it's all good. Not really complaining about it much since I expected battery consumption to be an concern depending on my use.
    I'm on my 2nd pre..had to exchange the 1st one because I couldn't be on a call longer than 10 mintues without the battery getting to hot