Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone been experiencing a lot of drop calls and no bars for your signal? Is there an update in the process to address this issue?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Actually in my apartment, the bars are all over the place. It still works fine, but that is kinda troubling.
    plenty of dropped calls. and i called sprint about that today and got the most obnoxious lady on the phone saying "well what do you want us to do?" WTF

I guess I will be calling everytime i drop a call so i can be credited. i read on one of these threads that they offer a free airave to improve reception but i'm guessing you have to talk to the right person.
  4.    #4  
    The airwave is when you threatened to cancel BUT it only good for your home and nothing else. The iphone had the same thing with all the drop calls and they issued an update and it worked. Why can't Palm do the same?
    Well, it took Apple/AT&T forever to issue an update on the signal issues they had. Don't forget this phone isn't much more than 6 weeks old. They've actually been patching quickly if you want to draw comparisons to the iPhone.

I see low bars in some places until I do something like make a call or send/receive data.
    Quote Originally Posted by deceptacon View Post
    The airwave is when you threatened to cancel BUT it only good for your home and nothing else. The iphone had the same thing with all the drop calls and they issued an update and it worked. Why can't Palm do the same?
    Palm most likely can issue an OTA update to fix this issue, and I'm betting they do real soon. I would not be surprised to see it in the update that is reportedly being released this week. It has to be something that has their attention.
  7.    #7  
    I hope for all of us Pre owners that this has their utmost attention because it's annoying to talk to someone and the call drops. They need to do this asap.
    I have not had mant droped calls but my phone does go offline on the regular. I can take it off the charger and it will be offline.
    Ever since i've put the touch stone back on the phone signal rentention seems to be better.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I get consistently roaming and one bar at my house. Called Sprint yesterday, and they had me "reprogram" the phone, which did absolutely nothing. I sure hope they issue some type of release to address this, or at least ship me an Airwave
    I also experience many dropped calls so I called Sprint prepared to go through the process to talk them into an Airave. The rep said they were going to send me a PRL update and I would need to dial *2 and reset my phone. After that my signal strength went up and now I don't have any dropped calls. I'm not sure if this was unique to my location or what.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I had low signal and dropped call issues. Palm tech support told me it was a firmware issue and it would be corrected soon. After 3 weeks and no update I went to Sprint and exchanged the phone. This one almost always has at least 3 bars and signal strength doesn't jump around like other one did. No dropped calls in the last few days and I am showing 2 or 3 bars in places where I had no service at all. Exchange your phone for one that works right.
  13.    #13  
    I'm on my third phone and they all have the same problems drop calls. It's something that Palm and Sprint needs to address. I shouldn't have the same problems with 3 phones and my wife has it too (she's on her second phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by iam4pack View Post
    I also experience many dropped calls so I called Sprint prepared to go through the process to talk them into an Airave. The rep said they were going to send me a PRL update and I would need to dial *2 and reset my phone. After that my signal strength went up and now I don't have any dropped calls. I'm not sure if this was unique to my location or what.
    I wonder how that is different from doing the "Update PRL" command that is built in to these phones? I would think it is the same thing, and this hasn't helped my situation. Neither does doing the "Update Network" command. They are both found by going to the dialer, and pressing the "Sprint" key in the upper left of the screen. In the drop down menu, select "Preferences", then scroll down.
    Quote Originally Posted by deceptacon View Post
    I hope for all of us Pre owners that this has their utmost attention because it's annoying to talk to someone and the call drops. They need to do this asap.
    It is fun though to be dropped when talking to Sprint Customer Horror! hehehe
    My problem is that I generally get a strong signal, yet I still get dropped calls. What's up with that? I typically have 4-5 bars and very rarely 3 bars, but never below that. Yet I still get dropped calls - sometimes during the dropped call the phone will go from 4-5 bars to no bars for about a second and then back to full again. I haven't looked at the screen enough times during the dropped calls to know if this fluctuation happens every time a call is dropped.
    Had a signal prob as well and sprint tech had me reprogram my pre, which didn't work. Told them I was going to return it and switch to another carrier and next thing you know they gave me an AIRAVE for free. I only had a prob with signal at home, now it's like having my own cell tower in my home.
    So, I hate to be the contrarian here, but I have an Airave, and while my signal has improved, there are STILL times when I have no bars... The only thing the Airave did for me is take from from a max of 3 bars (occasionally) prior to the Airave, to a max of 5 bars (more frequently) after installation. Again, my signal still jumps around, I still have periods of time when my bars are 0 and the phone is VERY warm...I have even stood right next to the Airave and gotten 0 bars - so there is something happening in the phone, it ends up unable to read the radio right or something....

I will speculate, and I'm in the tech/telecom field, that this issue is probably the biggest of issues which contribute to poor battery life. If the Pre cannot read the signal properly, it will draw more power from the battery to maintain a lock with the tower, especially during transmission (voice or data). So, if we are constantly at 2-3 bars, and should be at 5, there's your battery issue....

I have NO idea why my signal still jumps around with the Airave, and I am on my 2nd Pre (both, same issue).

I believe this is a software issue, so hopefully a patch will resolve, rather than a wholesale recall of devices.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    It is fun though to be dropped when talking to Sprint Customer Horror! hehehe
    happened to me twice yesterday
    My current Pre shows fewer bars in more places than any other phone I've owned (including other Pres). I can be 20 feet way from my Airave in the next room and the phone will mysteriously drop down to 2 bars.

However, I have not had any dropped calls recently and the call quality even when showing just 1 bar is good. So I don't stress over over the number of bars; the phone is working well enough.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast