1.    #1  
    Has anyone noticed on their pre they can't fit as much music as they could on other 8 gig devices? It can't hold as much as my 8gb iphone or touch. Quite a bit less actually. I have 1300 songs and no space remaining. What about you guys? 1300 songs can't be 7gb....
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    It depends what else is on that flash storage.
    It also depends on the format and compression you're using.
  4.    #4  
    In addition. "other" says 1.34gb used in itunes. I sware my first pre didn't have that much in "other" and I was actually mistaken. I only have 1100 songs. Nothing else seems to be on the pre. No photos. Only music....
  5.    #5  
    So you guys don't have any other ideas? Do other people have 1.4gb showing up in itunes as "other"
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm confused... there is no more "efficient" storage. 8GB is 8GB, on an SD card, iPhone, or Pre. Don't look at the number of songs you have, look at the amount of space they use on your computer and compare that to the space they use on your Pre. They're the same one mine. If your Pre is full, and not full of songs, then you've got other stuff on there. Like apps, pdfs, etc. Space just doesn't disappear by itself. Have you downloaded the sdk? If you have, use novaterm to access a console (or ssh if you've installed it), and run "df -h". The last line will show you how big your Pre's USB drive is (6.7GB) and how much of it is used.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I only have 144MB show up as "other" in iTunes. Maybe make sure that all other iTunes syncing is turned off (photos, contacts, podcasts, movies, tv, etc.). If that still doesn't reduce that 1.4GB, plug it in and use the USB drive mode to browse it and see if there's anything else on there.
    I am using a mac and USB transfer to swap various music files onto the pre. The pre showed zero storage left even though there were not many files on the pre and those that were left on the pre, I deleted by placing them into the trashcan on the mac.

Some time later, I emptied the trashcan from my mac. Only then did I get the 8 gigs of space back on the pre.

This seems like a bug.

Is there a way to back up the Pre settings (ie the homebrew apps etc) in case I need to hard reset back to factory settings? I do have already the media files backed up.
    Man I thought I had alot of songs lol, I have 1256 songs myself. What I did was compress all my old songs to 128 bitrate and left my new songs in the 190 BR. I have 2.1 gigs left. I am now working on my photos.

BTW I used a freeware batch pgm that converted all the selected mp3 files....it took over 4 hours to run through them..sry I don't have the name of that pgm..I can post later when I get home
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I am using a mac and USB transfer to swap various music files onto the pre. The pre showed zero storage left even though there were not many files on the pre and those that were left on the pre, I deleted by placing them into the trashcan on the mac.

Some time later, I emptied the trashcan from my mac. Only then did I get the 8 gigs of space back on the pre.

This seems like a bug.

Is there a way to back up the Pre settings (ie the homebrew apps etc) in case I need to hard reset back to factory settings? I do have already the media files backed up.
    that's not a bug. Putting things in the trash on a mac doesn't actually delete them (or in linux, or windows). Windows just tells you that the space is there, but it's really not until you empty the trash. So if you put something in the trash, then disconnect the Pre without emptying the trash, it's not gone. It's just been moved. It's a good idea to make sure you empty the trash before ejecting your Pre.
    Just a guess but itunes might be using the extra space as a buffer. And it might set the buffer size according to the amount of music loaded on the Pre.
  12.    #12  
    Well guys. I did a complete reformat of my pre. Put all the music I had before plus some. "other" is no about 144mb instead of 1.4gb. 1200 songs, and 600mb left. That's more like it. Seems like a glitch. I know I didn't have 1.4gb of "other". Wierd