1.    #1  
    I am not sure if this has been posted yet, It sure does get us thinking.
    Living with the Pre:23 Things that can be chnaged in Software
    I love that article, and agree wholeheartedly. Palm cannot let WebOS get to 2.0 without fixing each and every one of those shortcomings.
    def agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I love that article, and agree wholeheartedly. Palm cannot let WebOS get to 2.0 without fixing each and every one of those shortcomings.
    In fact, these are really more like 1.2-ish or 1.3-ish types of things. I expect many of them to come along in dribs and drabs. If we get to 1.5 without most of them, I'll be a little disappointed. And we probably need to be at that point by say the end of CY09.

Edit: it would be really cool of Palm to let us see their roadmap with features that they intend to implement in the near future. I know this isn't going to happen, but that level of openness would really make everyone happy (until they miss a target--doh!).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I agree with 21 or 22 of those
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    There's quite a few things I would add to that list, but it's a great start nonetheless. Is there a complete list/change log for this "rumored" update for 7/22?

EDIT: Just wondering so we can take a look and see what on the list will get fixed soon. I don't think the article on precentral.net is a full list, but I could be wrong.
  7. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    He's obviously not downloaded the new version of Tweed. If so, well, then he's just stupid.
    There's a bunch of things in the article I don't agree with, myself. I generally agree with the main points, but there's a bunch of little things within each point that I disagree on.

Copy and Paste:
    However, I do like the feature where you hold your finger on the gesture area, then hit x, c or v to execute the cut/copy/paste, even if an on screen element would be easier.
    Does he not realize that there's a menu from which you can pick these things on-screen in addition to the shortcuts?

Email:
    confusing navigation elements (like only being able to get back to the inbox/main screen via gesture bar),
    How is it that that's the standard usage throughout the OS and it's still confusing to him? And when he mentions search for email, no, there shouldn't be a button to search like the picture shows, but it should just be type to search in email.

Universal Search:
    The framework for Universal Search is fine--start typing from the home screen, and contacts, apps and Google results begin to populate--but what about the contents of text messages/chat transcripts/emails, media files and even bookmarked sites?
    Disagree here as well. Universal Search should be immediate for things I need all the time. Bookmarks would be nice, I suppose, but text messages/IM, emails, media, etc. should all be searchable from within their applications. The reasoning is that when I'm looking to call someone, I don't want to see every single IM/email from him, and I especially don't want that search slowing me down from calling him. When I want to search an email, I know that what I'm looking for is in an email, and it makes much more sense to open the email application and type. (I know not everyone agrees with me on this one though.)

Hardware Access for Apps: I agree on this one in general, but I don't think it's an immediate need. I think it's more of a year or two down the line kind of need.

GPS Toggling from the Homescreen:
    That's why Palm needs to make it quicker and easier to turn GPS on/off. Having to go into Launcher, then over to Location Services utility, then toggling it off requires way more thought/navigation than necessary. Why not just have a GPS on/off on the homescreen menu where you deal with wi-fi and Bluetooth?
    It's not like the GPS is constantly on anyway. It only turns on when you run an application that needs your location (as long as you have background data collection off). With that being the case, why should one bother toggling the GPS on or off?

Better Integrated Twitter:
    As it stands now, Tweed's notifications are laggy at best and broken at worst, only popping up while the app is running (sometimes hours late)
    If you use Tweed, this is incorrect. You can get updates without the card open in the newest updates, as long as you've opened the card once before. And I disagree that this needs to be integrated in the OS like they suggest, it makes much more sense to be handled by third parties.

Onscreen Keyboard: Honestly I see absolutely no need for this.

LED Flashlight: Seriously, this shouldn't even be on there, it's pretty ridiculous compared to everything else.

Launcher:
    Palm should scrap the vertical scrolling and just create more screens that users can flick through
    Actually I think the opposite. Scrap the more screens to flick through and just keep the vertical scrolling. But it doesn't matter too much anyway when you can use Universal Search much quicker.

So, I guess that's about 14 I agree entirely with, and of the other 9 I pretty much agree with the general idea but not quite with everything he says.
    The one that I do NOT want to see implemented is turning Universal Search into... well... "universal" search. I love how fast it is at getting me to what I need the most immediately--which tends to be contacts and applications. I do NOT want to see it bogged down with email, text messages, etc., etc. There's simply no way that they can keep its responsiveness while searching through the entire device.

Now, that's not to say that a separate search app wouldn't be welcome. Just put it in the launcher. And, of course, email search at least within the email app is pretty much a necessity and should definitely come sooner rather than later.

Some of the other items are pretty meh to me, really...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    what am I missing about the browser? This article and others talk about how bad the browser is. I honestly find my self not picking up my laptop and just using my Pre when checking out a quick site.
    2. thats mostly gmails issue. they decide to put all these email in your address book. if you dont want your facebook and aol "friends" to sync, delete them.

5.it does, and i do use my hosted account on the pre.

11. a website issue. mlb would always redirect you to their wap site. and in the beginning, all the text would be squishes. now, it is a nice little site.

14. just use the email address flickr gives you, both problems solved.

17. not a webos issue, but a sprint issue. didnt iphone have same issue when it came out?

19. this would be a tweed issue, not a palm issue, and tweed have "solved" both of them. also, there are also 2 other twitter apps.

20. i wish palm was more open about a lot of things.

24. universal search.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    How is it that that's the standard usage throughout the OS and it's still confusing to him? And when he mentions search for email, no, there shouldn't be a button to search like the picture shows, but it should just be type to search in email.
    exactly.

geez.
    Felipe
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgoeson4ever View Post
    what am I missing about the browser? This article and others talk about how bad the browser is. I honestly find my self not picking up my laptop and just using my Pre when checking out a quick site.

im not a fan of pinching, un-pintching, scrolling sideways to get around a web page. give me the pre/iphone formatted sites (or at least the option to pick it) any time.
    Felipe