Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Here's a question, if you buy a brand new Pre, from Sprint or more likely Best Buy, do they give you the option to take it home and activate it yourself? Or do they just automatically do it for you in the store?

Here's why I ask: I've set an Aug 1 date to buy my Pre. I have already purchased a PhantomSkinz, a case and will probably purchase the Touchstone before I actually get the Pre. Anyway, since the PhantomSkinz say you should allow them to dry for 24 hours or something like that, I figure it might be easier just to take it home, install the skin before I switch the service from my Instinct, so I wont have to turn my phone off for a full day, being unable to use it.

I know that some people say the PS dries in as quick as two hours, but being that it'll be my first skin install, I'd rather give it the full, recommended time - just to be safe. So has anyone activated their phone online? Is it simple? Can you transfer your contacts via Bluetooth? If not, I'd imagine it should be simple since Sprint backs them up anyway. Sorry for the multiple questions, but any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    You cannot leave without activating. Sprint does not currently sell unactivated Pre's.

And the dry time is more like an hour or two. Just don't put it in your pocket or something in the first 12 hours or so.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    if you do it in the sprint store and there is a problem - there is somebody (somewhat qualified most of the time) right in front of you...

if you do it online and there is a problem - there is a monitor in front of you...
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Well, if they don't allow you to activate it yourself, I guess that ends that. I just wasn't looking forward to leaving it off for the first 12-24 hours after I bought it. But I have my work phone in case of emergency, I suppose.

With the hardware issues, maybe I'll wait a day or two before installing the skin anyway, to make sure the phone is fully functional. Even though PS sends two skins, I'd hate to waste one right away on a returned unit.