Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I have heard from a Sprint technician that Palm is planning a software update at some point ... that can make the 8GB work like 16GB.

Since we likely don't know what Palm will ACTUALLY do, my question is simple ...

What CAN they do?

What can software do to better utilize limited hardware memory space (e.g. 8GB).?
    doublespace lolol
    Dont believe anything you hear from a Sprint Technician. LOL
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Even if folder compression were enabled, it wouldn't work for things like MP3's, JPG's, etc, these things are already compressed. That "technician" was anything but.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Honestly, This post should be deleted for shear stupidity.
    I got my pre on launch, my mom went to a sprint store the next day to see if they had any, and the people there told her that they recalled all the pre's and they weren't going to make any more.
    What *could* work via software would be a host mode driver for the MicroUSB port, to enable it to access external storage. That, plus a MicroUSB-based external card reader, could enable unlimited (if removable) storage. (Micro-USB microSD Card Reader and Charger appears to be exactly that, although it's not clear how it works.) Actually, once such a driver were installed, a clever designer could create a case for the Pre that included a MicroSDHC card slot and plugged into the MicroUSB slot.

Otherwise, unless there's some magic tesseract inside the Pre that includes more memory chips, I agree that a software-driven upgrade is myth. {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Could I have my SUV compressed into a Prius to get 60 mpg? Toyota is working on it.
    8gb of cloud storage.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    a "save to virtual...." something would be nice... in other words, have an option to save and retrieve vids, pics, backup data, etc easily on a gmail online storage account....
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Cloud storage would be cool, but that in no way makes 8gb work like 16gb. That just adds space elsewhere.

There is no logical way to make 8gb work like 16gb even compressing compressed files wouldn't work. Your phone would languish and slug around because it would be performing too many processes.

If you want 16gb wait till the Pre2, or see if Palm provides some sort of cloud storage. Even then, I can't imagine Palm providing an extra 8gb of storage on their own dime.
    I've heard that if you add the cell phone antenna booster sticker, you'll get 50% more battery life as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfJonathan View Post
    What *could* work via software would be a host mode driver for the MicroUSB port, to enable it to access external storage. That, plus a MicroUSB-based external card reader, could enable unlimited (if removable) storage. (Micro-USB microSD Card Reader and Charger appears to be exactly that, although it's not clear how it works.) Actually, once such a driver were installed, a clever designer could create a case for the Pre that included a MicroSDHC card slot and plugged into the MicroUSB slot.

Otherwise, unless there's some magic tesseract inside the Pre that includes more memory chips, I agree that a software-driven upgrade is myth. {ProfJonathan}
    The best method would be to allow the user to set up a VPN and access files on a desktop PC. That would be awesome for music and video especially.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    1st, Rkolodz1 ... you are a true dumba$$.

Next, the reason for the post was that ... clearly the technician was not savvy ... my point was that given the inherent hardware limitations, what can software actually do. The other posters seem to understand.

An improved compression algorithm, was my best guess ... but the point about limited usefulness in .mp3/.jpg compressed files is a great point.

I like the idea of using the USB slot as an expander!!!
    Perhaps there is a hidden 8GB chip in the device they haven't 'activated' yet?

[Dreaming]
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The best method would be to allow the user to set up a VPN and access files on a desktop PC. That would be awesome for music and video especially.
    I don't see it; file access needs to be realtime, not over a network like that, to be fast enough. Heck, having suffered through the LifeDrive's misbegotten hard drive-as-RAM setup, I wouldn't think about replacing solid-state memory in a RAM-focused OS with a disk drive, let alone one accessed over a wireless network. I have no problem with remote backup or archived docs done that way, but not real-time files. {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by logie View Post
    doublespace lolol
    LOL. Nice. I once made my 20 MB hard drive 40 MB! I thought I was the king of the world!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm amazed at the things people keep hearing from Sprint "techs"... Yeah right!
    Quote Originally Posted by bevobadger View Post
    LOL. Nice. I once made my 20 MB hard drive 40 MB! I thought I was the king of the world!
    Until it crashed and I lost it all.. Oh, how many times that happened

Quote Originally Posted by ProfJonathan View Post
    I don't see it; file access needs to be realtime, not over a network like that, to be fast enough. Heck, having suffered through the LifeDrive's misbegotten hard drive-as-RAM setup, I wouldn't think about replacing solid-state memory in a RAM-focused OS with a disk drive, let alone one accessed over a wireless network. I have no problem with remote backup or archived docs done that way, but not real-time files. {ProfJonathan}
    Can already share your music from a PC with the iPhone, its very doable. I can SSH into my phone in realtime as well, over the EVDO network, its completely doable, and EVDO has the bandwidth to handle it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast