View Poll Results: Whats your technique opening the keypad from the screen?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • One handed holding bottom of phone thumb in center botton area pushing/sliding up

112 43.58%
  • Two hands on side of screen sliding up

66 25.68%
  • One hand grasping entire phone while sliding up

18 7.00%
  • One or two handed sliding up from anywhere on screen

61 23.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious since I believe I may have inadvertently cracked my screen by simply sliding the thing open one handed to many times (but who knows I found the flowering cracks when I woke up one morning) ....

Anyway if this poses true Pre users should be careful especially around the center area just above the gesture button ... once the screen cracks its useless ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Since I have done the "super glue" method to correct the "oreo" I use both thumbs to slide open.
    Holding the Pre with both hands, fingers underneath, sliding up with both thumbs from the bottom.

That may be overly cautious, but I'd rather not take chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    Holding the Pre with both hands, fingers underneath, sliding up with both thumbs from the bottom.

That's what I do as well.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Usually one handed but on occassion I will go the careful route and use both thumbs.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Rest Pre on my four fingers and stick my thumb smack in the middle of the screen, then slide with very little pressure.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    I find myself using one or two hands...kind of depends what Im doing at the time I want to open it.

On a side note I personally think the "oreo twist" is caused at least by some degree by how people open their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabamm View Post
    Rest Pre on my four fingers and stick my thumb smack in the middle of the screen, then slide with very little pressure.
    Ditto

That's how my sprint tech told me to do it when I exchanged one with odd slider issues
    I throw mine on the ground until it opens. :P

Really though I usually just use two thumbs at the bottom corners of the gesture pad.
    Usually two hands with the thumbs on the side sliding up. If I'm busy and have carrying something in my hand, I'll go one handed and have the thumb slide it from the center of the screen.
    I use two hands to open and to close. I "help" it open (and close) not allowing it to snap open or to close.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
    Two hands; left one underneath holding they keyboard side, right thumb(nail) pulls on earspeaker/nubbin on top of screen. Seems to be easiest, stablest way to pull open. The first few weeks with the phone, the slider was too stiff and phone surface too slippery to open any other way with a lot of downward stress on the mechanism. It's loosened up a lot since, so that I could push it up with fingers but still prefer the centralized pressure on the nubbin.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoustipster View Post
    Ditto

That's how my sprint tech told me to do it when I exchanged one with odd slider issues
    This is how I open my most of the time as well. One-handed thumb smack dab in the middle to slide open. If I go the two-handed route, I place my thumbs on the side at the middle and slide up.
    One handed. Four fingers on the back and with my thumb in the middle of the screen I slide up.

I tried your guys' other methods and I have to say...theyre difficult and borderline dangerous. The Pre ignores your thumb when sliding open/shut the keyboard so it doesnt act as a "touch".
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    The Pre ignores your thumb when sliding open/shut the keyboard so it doesnt act as a "touch".
    That hasn't absolutely always been true for me--once or twice I've dismissed a notification accidentally if I moved my thumb after sliding open.

Still, I must admit that the one-handed opening is the best. I think the mechanism was clearly designed to work this way. It feels most solid when I do it this way.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    I find myself using one or two hands...kind of depends what Im doing at the time I want to open it.

On a side note I personally think the "oreo twist" is caused at least by some degree by how people open their phones.
    I open my keyboard with both thumbs and I guide it open slowly. I also open my keyboard about 6 to 7 times a day on a heavy day of use and I still have horrible twist.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post

+1
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Usually held in my right hand, I push on the screen with my thumb. One handed use all the way!!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Like the manual shows....thumb in middle.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Trying to be careful to keep oreo at bay, I usually use 2 hands. But I did figure out I can safely slide one-handed with the Pre in hand, palm up, grabbing front sides with thumb and pinky, and pulling the back of the phone down from the top with my first three fingers. A little awkward, but safer. Will see how used to it I can get.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast