View Poll Results: Whats your technique opening the keypad from the screen?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • One handed holding bottom of phone thumb in center botton area pushing/sliding up

112 43.58%
  • Two hands on side of screen sliding up

66 25.68%
  • One hand grasping entire phone while sliding up

18 7.00%
  • One or two handed sliding up from anywhere on screen

61 23.74%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    center thumb....gentle pressure up...
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    my slide mech was so tight when i got the phone that i was hesitant to put enough pressure on the phone to open it with one hand - and have used two thumbs on the sides from day one.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I use one thumb in the middle of the screen usually. If the screen happens to crack someday, then I'll get it replaced under warrantee. No big deal. It's not as if I'm being anywhere near abusive to it.
    I know it's totally wrong, but I hold the phone in my right hand, and use my thumbnail to grip the raised plastic in the earpiece area to pull the screen up. For some reason I feel that if I open it using my thumbs on the screen, I'll eventually wind up cracking it. With the quality of the builds so far, it wouldn't surprise me.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schlave View Post
    Trying to be careful to keep oreo at bay, I usually use 2 hands. But I did figure out I can safely slide one-handed with the Pre in hand, palm up, grabbing front sides with thumb and pinky, and pulling the back of the phone down from the top with my first three fingers. A little awkward, but safer. Will see how used to it I can get.
    that's what i do, seems to work nicely for me.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Just curious since I believe I may have inadvertently cracked my screen by simply sliding the thing open one handed to many times (but who knows I found the flowering cracks when I woke up one morning) ....

Anyway if this poses true Pre users should be careful especially around the center area just above the gesture button ... once the screen cracks its useless ...
    I had my screen crack about a week and a half ago. The same "fan-like" cracks. This is a very common occurrance as is discussed in the following Palm blog forum:

forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?message.uid=206830

Because this is very common, so I called sprint and discussed it with them. They told me to take it to a Sprint store. I did and they swapped out my Pre with a new one.

The problem is with the center button. It causes the "fan-like" cracks that come from the center. You are not the only one. So, just take it back to Sprint.
    When I want to open the slider, I call *2, and they send someone out to open it for me. Retentions also asked the guy to sick around and close it again after I called and threatened to quit. :-)

EDIT: Joking aside, I'd like to see someone do some videos showing the different ways to open the Pre.
    (Some of the actions are hard for me to visualize.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I use the thumb in middle of screen method (that's what the manual shows so why not?). I too had spreading cracks appear one morning, but I think it had more to do with severe temperature exposure & then pressure on the screen. I had accidently left the Pre in a windshield mount for about an hour of 90+ degree weather. When I went to retrieve, it was brought into an overly ACed home. Next day -- stress cracks spreading in both an upward and downward direction. I don't know for certain it was the extreme heat, but my gut tells me it was.
    it depends. i do it with one hand (hmmmm?) most of the time, but not always.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Here's how I slide my Pre open:

1. Place phone firmly in the palm of left hand.
    2. Make sure the bottom of the phone is stabilized by the lower palm (thenar muscle) and the top of the phone is stabilized by the distal phalanges of the left index and middle fingers. (Be careful not to squeeze the palm closed, just gently cup the phone).
    3. Place the distal phalanges of the right thumb and index finger on the sides of the screen, at mid-screen level (again, be careful not to squeeze).
    4. Without placing downward pressure on the screen, gently and slowly slide the screen in an upward motion until it is fully extended.
    5. Once fully extended, gently swing the phone perpendicular to the palm in preparation for utilizing the keypad.
    wow...now I'm all paranoid when I have to open my Pre.

One month of sliding using one hand and one thumb slightly above the center button.
    I'm BACK!!!
    Treo 650 -> Treo 755p-> iPhone 3g -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Either, thumb in the middle, two thumbs-one on each side of the screen, or holding the screen in one hand an pulling the keyboard down as apposed to the screen up...sort of the same...more of a state of mind I guess. No cracks so far.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by EazyWeazy View Post
    I had my screen crack about a week and a half ago. The same "fan-like" cracks. This is a very common occurrance as is discussed in the following Palm blog forum:

forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?message.uid=206830

Because this is very common, so I called sprint and discussed it with them. They told me to take it to a Sprint store. I did and they swapped out my Pre with a new one.

The problem is with the center button. It causes the "fan-like" cracks that come from the center. You are not the only one. So, just take it back to Sprint.
    I think it has to do with the fact that i one hand it in the car while driving so i used my thumb pressure to push upwards ...

Just got my replacement and had a weird issue today with dialing phone numbers (got a weird busy signal thing) and had to do a device partial reset to get it working again .. ahhh the more pre's the worse they get ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I open it terminator-style-- pinch the front between thumb and forefinger at the top of the phone, then flick downwards quickly and let gravity do the work.

Two hands on side of screen sliding up. Because I think I'm going to break it otherwise.

Oreo= bad
    Quote Originally Posted by kabamm View Post
    Rest Pre on my four fingers and stick my thumb smack in the middle of the screen, then slide with very little pressure.
    It is so natural....
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    One hand with my thumb in the middle of the screen like the manual shows. I believe that using any pressure on the sides, or especially on the bottom edge, is contrary to how the phone was designed and would contribute to slider problems. Likewise with pressure at the bottom of the gesture area near the button, which may account for some of the cracking. Maybe because I have hands big enough to palm a basketball I can easily support the back of the phone from top to bottom with my other fingers and it seems to open and close almost effortlessly with my thumb on top in the middle of the screen, with also a slight counter-movement down/up with my fingers on the back.

But I don't see this in the poll as one of the options, even though it is the one described in the manual...
    I hold the phone with the right hand. And I use my right thumb in the middle of the screen to push it open.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 07/21/2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I read that thread about the cracked screens before buying my pre, and although it gave me a slight scare, I'm glad I read it. I would highly advise against sliding open the phone by pushing from below the center button, that seems to be what caused a few of the screens to crack.

Better to be cautious and take the extra half second to open the pre with 2 hands for me
    Palm should have put have made a spring loaded slider so it would slide/spring up with a push of a button... one hand, no touching the lcd... very geeky Nextel did a star trek type spring loaded system like that on one of their phones.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast