Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I spent at least a month trying to figure out which phone to buy between the iPhone, Crackberry, and Pre. It came down to Pre and iPhone.

I love WebOS, I think it's a better OS than anything out there.

I like Sprint a lot, and never had any problem with service, and the service price is very good. Coverage was very good.

I really hate some of the Apple community, but these are the reasons that forced me to the iPhone. Maybe they can help others decide:

1) I have an Alarm system, there's an application for it. Both my mortgage company as well as my regular banks have applications. Vox (blog) has an application. BTW: None of these are "fart" apps.....The pre has 0 of them.

2) Defects. Yes, I realize it's a 1.0 device, but there still seem to be an unusual number of hardware defects. Blotchy screens, bad sliders, heat....

3) Total distrust in Palm. I have (had) a 700wx and 700p. Palm never fixes anything. Why would they fix WebOS problems any faster? How long should you wait for an uncrippled cut and paste?

4) Community (very minor issue). The people on this board are pretty nasty and way to "religious" about their tech. If you say anything negative, they immediately scream you are wrong, then extol some of the virtues of the Pre just for extra effect. If I'm going to buy a version 1.0/beta phone I'd want help not flames.

Maybe I'll come back to the Pre in a year or two when it's fully cooked. Until then, I hope WebOS continues, and gets better hardware. Competition is a good thing, and will keep things evolving.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    All valid reason. Farewell, and hope to see you back here when the apps are all there and the bugs are taken care of.
    My hardware is fine and store i went too said they haven't seen any problems with the pre, pretty big corp store, so i think the problems on here are a bit over stretched but the people with problems always voice their opinions the loudest, i think if under 3% of the devices work properly that is somewhat normal in this industry.

I think Palm is going to put a lot into webos mainly cause if it's the same platform running on all phones, updates will apply to everything. I do think they will abandon all older devices sooner though if not already.

I have a few bugs with the pre, but they aren't so bad where i can't use the phone daily. But if the touch pro2 comes out in 2 weeks i will probably switch over to that. I've been waiting 1 year of out of contract to get a good phone and while this isn't perfect is good enough for me in 2 years or a year i'll get something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    1) I have an Alarm system, there's an application for it. Both my mortgage company as well as my regular banks have applications. Vox (blog) has an application. BTW: None of these are "fart" apps.....The pre has 0 of them.
    Thats unfortunate.
    2) Defects. Yes, I realize it's a 1.0 device, but there still seem to be an unusual number of hardware defects. Blotchy screens, bad sliders, heat....
    Hardware defects are going to be amplified on support forums for the actual product. The iPhone is not free of defect. My first phone was perfect until the earpiece stopped working, but I'm not certain I wasn't at fault for that, after installing my BSE skin... My 2nd phone IS flawless, the battery life is excellent, the slider is solid(I dropped it a few times, so its slightly sloppy when closed, but only slightly), no heat issues, no blotchy screen, etc.

3) Total distrust in Palm. I have (had) a 700wx and 700p. Palm never fixes anything. Why would they fix WebOS problems any faster? How long should you wait for an uncrippled cut and paste?
    This one is a simple answer. They have to. The future of the company depends on this phone.

4) Community (very minor issue). The people on this board are pretty nasty and way to "religious" about their tech. If you say anything negative, they immediately scream you are wrong, then extol some of the virtues of the Pre just for extra effect. If I'm going to buy a version 1.0/beta phone I'd want help not flames.
    That comes with any community for any product. Go on an apple forum and say something bad about mac, or go on an iPhone forum and say something bad about the iPhone. Same for Android, same for xbox 360, same for ps3, wii, you name it. Any time there are people that are avid about a product, they do not want to hear the bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    I know, right? No disrespect, all, but we don't need a new thread for every individual story of why you are returning the Pre, just as we don't need a new thread for every instance of "Why I love my Pre!"

Enough already.
    ...Why would they fix WebOS problems any faster? How long should you wait for an uncrippled cut and paste?...
    Well, they have been pretty fast with the OS updates so far (unlike apple). Furthermore, it took about two years before the iPhone had ANY cut and paste at all.
    1. Can't help you there. I agree though. Lack of apps hurts. I can read kindle books on the iphone..can't on the Pre. But i knew this going in that apps won't happen for awhile.

2. iphones have em too. Exchanged my GS one already as the headjack was broke. There's a few bugs as well, but have to be patient.

3. I hear ya on the distrust. But Palm has a much more modern system in place for providing updates and with this OS they can go much much further. Only time will tell how fast they come.

4. Community. It's dumbed down a bit..no offense. The homebrew forums remind me most of the old treocentral. But here in general its..for lack of better explanation..turned iphone like. Ever visit iphone forums? It's not great.

It's human nature to defend investments and rationalize them. Personally, since there's not much to the Pre at this point beyond homebrewing, i enjoy the comparison talks more between the platforms.
    YOU'RE WRONG!!!! The Pre multitasks like nobody's business, and Synergy is DAH BOMB!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I spent at least a month trying to figure out which phone to buy between the iPhone, Crackberry, and Pre. It came down to Pre and iPhone.

I like Sprint a lot, and never had any problem with service, and the service price is very good. Coverage was very good.

I really hate some of the Apple community, but these are the reasons that forced me to the iPhone. Maybe they can help others decide:

Maybe I'll come back to the Pre in a year or two when it's fully cooked. Until then, I hope WebOS continues, and gets better hardware. Competition is a good thing, and will keep things evolving.
    Completely Understandable... its unfortunate about #4, but it is true. People get all hyped up about a product and they can't stand the hard facts. The product is a very fresh, new device. It has a lot of hardware bugs that need to be taken care of for it to be a great device. As far as the apps, they will come in time, its only been close to two months.

Good luck with the iphone. I'm sure you'll enjoy it also.
    How long should you wait for an uncrippled cut and paste?
    About 3 years, and revision 3.0 of your OS?
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Who carrrrreeeeesssss.
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    About 3 years, and revision 3.0 of your OS?
    Someone missed the point. I'm picking up the phone *now*, which means I did not wait 3 years. Who cares how long it took to get the functionality as long as it exists right now?

In fairness, I wouldn't have waited if I were considering the iPhone v1 2 years ago, but this is already 3.0, so I don't have to wait.

I'm piggybacking on others who beta-tested and hammered out the kinks in the iPhone; I don't want to be one of those same early adopters with the Pre.
    jthelman, I was in the same boat as you. I had an original iphone (edge only no 3g) and needed a new phone that has faster data networking plus and here is the biggie a great camera with video recording. I was leaning toward the pre but since there is no video recording on it 'as of now' I went with the new iphone 3gs. I'm a firm believer that palm will eventually release a video recording feature on the pre or a third party will do it but I needed something today and the 3gs fit the bill. At the end of the day you have to get the device that fits your lifestyle. Dont let the fanboys get you down, Hell apple's support forums are full of them too. I'm sure it would be much worse but the moderators keep it slightly under control.
    peace
    When talking about defects, you must remember that people will post on a forum to say that their Pre is broken to get help, but you don't get everyone making threads saying that their Pre is working fine.
    Last edited by PalmPre1337; 07/20/2009 at 11:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I bought my Pre 6/6. Obsessed over it since CES in January. Last weekend (Friday) my fiance bought the 3GS 16 GB white....by Sunday evening I was speaking with retentions about cancelling my account, returning my Pre (my 3rd one I must add) and anxiously waiting to join the cult of Apple followers.

The Pre is a good, solid, smartly designed phone. But Palm tried TOO hard. Was the Apple crew at Palm a gift or curse????? I say both but ultimately it was a curse for me. Palm rushed to get the Pre out before Apple WWDC and dropped the ball. The Palm Pre is a beta product. I had 3 Palm Pre's in 5 weeks (and needed a fourth). EACH Pre had a horrendous, embarrassing shameful battery (Shame on you Palm!!!). I went from 1.0.01 to 1.0.04 and only saw very minor battery life improvement. I was told by Sprint repeatedly to dim the screen all the way (iPhone 3GS default is MAX brightness), turn off push Gmail, turn off GPS, turn off Wifi when not in use, always keep Wifi on (yes, i was told to do both), dont leave apps open when not using (WTF is multitasking then?!?!?!), dont sync Google Calendar, dont sync AIM, sign out of Gtalk/AIM when not in use (which TOTALLY defeats the purpose of IM) and to not remain in an area with poor signal coverage (my Pre ALWAYS had 1-2 bars at home where I use it most...my Blackberry 8330 had 3-4...3GS ALWAYS, without fail has 5 bars).

But I digress. If I did indeed make all these changes, I wouldnt have a smartphone but rather a....dumb phone???

My other main problem other than battery life was the screen. EACH of the 3 Pre's had dead pixels (b/w 1 and 20!) and overheated, which caused discoloration on the bottom of my screen. Every one. And the warranty date ranged from 5/27 on my first Pre to 6/26 on my final Pre. Not to mention how terribly SLUGGISH the Pre gets when multitasking (even basic, not intense), the memory leaks (telling me I cant open any more cards with only ONE open?!?!?!?!?!) and the painfully annoying low signal strength and dropped calls (hardly EVER had dropped calls with my blackberry....not 1 with 3GS)

Needless to say, I left Sprint and went to iPhone. And my what a difference a week makes. 2 days of casually using and experiencing the iPhone wiped away 6 months of Pre obsession and 5 weeks of heavy Pre use (I really felt like a beta tester).

I have not had one single solitary delay or hiccup since I bought this phone. Have 5 bars 90% of the time, SIGNIFICANTLY improved battery (I mean night and day people), SIGNIFICANTLY improved web browing (faster, better youtube and quicktime video integration, better formating, autofill, better bookmark mgmt & syncronization, etc.), smooth and responsive EVERY DAY ALL DAY, bigger and better screen (glass vs plastic, no repeated taps like with Pre) and of course 65,000 apps vs 30. I could go on and on but I dont wanna **** my PreCentral fam off. Just sharing my experience. But we shoud not accept sub par build quality just because Palm needs the Pre out before iPhone 3GS.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I bought my Pre 6/6. Obsessed over it since CES in January. Last weekend (Friday) my fiance bought the 3GS 16 GB white....by Sunday evening I was speaking with retentions about cancelling my account, returning my Pre (my 3rd one I must add) and anxiously waiting to join the cult of Apple followers.

The Pre is a good, solid, smartly designed phone. But Palm tried TOO hard. Was the Apple crew at Palm a gift or curse????? I say both but ultimately it was a curse for me. Palm rushed to get the Pre out before Apple WWDC and dropped the ball. The Palm Pre is a beta product. I had 3 Palm Pre's in 5 weeks (and needed a fourth). EACH Pre had a horrendous, embarrassing shameful battery (Shame on you Palm!!!). I went from 1.0.01 to 1.0.04 and only saw very minor battery life improvement. I was told by Sprint repeatedly to dim the screen all the way (iPhone 3GS default is MAX brightness), turn off push Gmail, turn off GPS, turn off Wifi when not in use, always keep Wifi on (yes, i was told to do both), dont leave apps open when not using (WTF is multitasking then?!?!?!), dont sync Google Calendar, dont sync AIM, sign out of Gtalk/AIM when not in use (which TOTALLY defeats the purpose of IM) and to not remain in an area with poor signal coverage (my Pre ALWAYS had 1-2 bars at home where I use it most...my Blackberry 8330 had 3-4...3GS ALWAYS, without fail has 5 bars).

But I digress. If I did indeed make all these changes, I wouldnt have a smartphone but rather a....dumb phone???

My other main problem other than battery life was the screen. EACH of the 3 Pre's had dead pixels (b/w 1 and 20!) and overheated, which caused discoloration on the bottom of my screen. Every one. And the warranty date ranged from 5/27 on my first Pre to 6/26 on my final Pre. Not to mention how terribly SLUGGISH the Pre gets when multitasking (even basic, not intense), the memory leaks (telling me I cant open any more cards with only ONE open?!?!?!?!?!) and the painfully annoying low signal strength and dropped calls (hardly EVER had dropped calls with my blackberry....not 1 with 3GS)

Needless to say, I left Sprint and went to iPhone. And my what a difference a week makes. 2 days of casually using and experiencing the iPhone wiped away 6 months of Pre obsession and 5 weeks of heavy Pre use (I really felt like a beta tester).

I have not had one single solitary delay or hiccup since I bought this phone. Have 5 bars 90% of the time, SIGNIFICANTLY improved battery (I mean night and day people), SIGNIFICANTLY improved web browing (faster, better youtube and quicktime video integration, better formating, autofill, better bookmark mgmt & syncronization, etc.), smooth and responsive EVERY DAY ALL DAY, bigger and better screen (glass vs plastic, no repeated taps like with Pre) and of course 65,000 apps vs 30. I could go on and on but I dont wanna **** my PreCentral fam off. Just sharing my experience. But we shoud not accept sub par build quality just because Palm needs the Pre out before iPhone 3GS.
    Go for a triple post!

Everyone has their own reason to keep or move to new phone/network. Mine was insurance. I cant afford to drop new Iphone and pay $500+ for it again. I misuse my phone a lot but for a normal guy its just a risk. Others have their own reasons but do you want to take that risk?

Just few points since you are buying Iphone:

-Make sure you know that your option is AT&T. Not just here on Precentral but try any community and you will get fair review on it. Also Iphone is not perfect hardware wise. Heat is just one issue but moving from BB or Palm phone is hard when you cant replace battery. It doesn't matter how much life you get out of it. Trust me I gave 30 day.

-If you like physical keyboard then go with BB if not Pre. Iphone is ok if you give few months. Its learning curve.

-If you are reviewing Pre based on decisions Palm made before Foleo then you are wrong. If you notice Palm do not have same CEO. Palm is now lean and mean company. They will go all out as they dont have any backup option and they have one of great team in business. Wait for Christmas (Europe & Canada) and January (Verizon). You will get apps and lots of them.

Good Luck!
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast