Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51
  1. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    I'm piggybacking on others who beta-tested and hammered out the kinks in the iPhone; I don't want to be one of those same early adopters with the Pre.
    That's exactly why you should go get your iPhone. You seem to have your mind made up anyway.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Dear mikah, below is a fine example of just how wrong you are about the forum members with smart-alec comments and silly, sorry reasoning.
    If by "wrong", you mean showing exactly why people react this way to these posts, then you're correct.

    Again, I have no problem with people listing "the good, the bad, and the ugly" of the Pre. But 25 percent of his reasoning is "people here are pretty nasty". Another 25 percent is that he doesn't trust Palm.

    How does that help ANYBODY with any sort of interest in the Pre? It's just ridiculous that all the leeway has to be on the people of this forum. Oh, sure it's fine for newcomers to post iPhone vs. pre threads in the wrong forum. Oh, sure it's fine to start a new thread for every complaint you have, and PLEASE start a new one to tell us why you are returning the Pre or have returned it already. Oh, sure it's fine to disregard all decorum, and you may make generalized insults against this forum. Have at it.

    I mean, really?

    But take offense to any of that? What's wrong with you, jerk? The guy's just trying to let some steam off. What's the big deal?
  3. #43  
    Jerk? Moving right along...
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Oh how The Goat misses the good old days. When our members were very welcoming and seemingly intelligent.

    I don't even bother with my long-winded speaches anymore about how we should all remain classy.


    Pedro, I couldn't agree more. These forums have taken an unfortunate turn to the nasty and there isn't much that can be done about it. A far cry from the Treo days for sure.
  5. #45  
    The reality is people have a hard time dealing with the excessive negativity of the device on a fan forum. These forums shouldn't look like this 30 days after release and it shows that one thing is certain, the Pre needs a lot of work to get it where it should already be. That is the bottom line and why you see all the *****ing.

    Some here can't handle that and think people should just grin and bear it, as if we buyers have some sort of obligation to accept beta issues on a 1.04 device.

    Fact is what we have now is going to be pretty close to what we have in 6 months. We still aren't going to have a ton of apps, the SDK will still be somewhat limiting, there isn't going to be a hardware revision and the OS is still going to lag, stutter and in general be slow.

    Why?

    Because if these things were easy to fix they would have been fixed. This device has been in development for years the easy stuff has been done and like previous Palm devices you can expect third parties to step in and develop software to fix the underlying short comings. That is the Palm way.

    There isn't going to be a magic patch, you can expect exactly what we have received thus far. Slow, incremental improvements. Personally I can't tell you a single thing major that has changed in the handful of updates we have received. From the looks of 1.1 it also will be underwhelming for many although the EAS fixes are needed they should have been addressed far faster and probably cost Palm & Sprint many users.
  6. yiffzer's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    #46  
    Fact is what we have now is going to be pretty close to what we have in 6 months. We still aren't going to have a ton of apps, the SDK will still be somewhat limiting, there isn't going to be a hardware revision and the OS is still going to lag, stutter and in general be slow.
    That is absolute hogwash. You know this as if you read the future? Your prediction has no truth to it. Within six months (which would be past the fall, by the way), there should be a flow of new apps by then, the SDK would be more open, and the OS will improve along with better battery life.

    Just wait for the WebOS 1.1 update. I personally believe, from what I've read and people I've talked to, the WebOS 1.1 update will be more than just a small fix. After all, why would they codename it 1.1? If a small incremental update is worth .01, then this update is at least six times the updates. Perhaps once that's received, a lot of the things you claim so confidently would be shattered.
    Last edited by yiffzer; 07/20/2009 at 07:20 PM.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Jerk? Moving right along...
    Sigh.

    Obviously, I am not calling you a jerk. I'm sarcastically pointing out that people who "dare" to take offense at forum rules being flagrantly violated get way more flack these days for bluntly saying so than people complaining about the Pre (The fact that the latter pretty much outnumber the former is at least partly responsible for this).

    It's like a Bizarro Pre forum.
  8. #48  
    Why do people feel the need to justify their reasonings for switching to the iphone? If you like it go with it! Why the long negative posts bashing the Pre on a Pre forum no less? I ditched my iphone and wouldn't touch another with a ten foot pole. IMO, they're more hype than anything else and yes they have tons of hardware issues (visit their forums for proof). But not once have I posted on the Apple forums bashing it.

    The Pre wipes the floor with it in both multasking, web browsing and email imo. I could care less about the amount of apps. I bought the pre for what it can do best not because I think it's as feature rich as the iphone. If you want the Pre to be like the Iphone, get the Iphone, period!!

    I think the mods should just move these types threads to their designated areas. Visit the Apple forums and you will not find a single thread like this? Why? They delete them all.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    1) I have an Alarm system, there's an application for it. Both my mortgage company as well as my regular banks have applications. Vox (blog) has an application. BTW: None of these are "fart" apps.....The pre has 0 of them.
    I can definitely understand this reason. If you're an app kinda guy, the Pre in its current state is not the right phone for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    2) Defects. Yes, I realize it's a 1.0 device, but there still seem to be an unusual number of hardware defects. Blotchy screens, bad sliders, heat....
    Did you have all of these issues with your phone? If so, then I agree this is a valid reason. If not, then I'm not sure why someone else's defective Pre would make you want to return yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    3) Total distrust in Palm. I have (had) a 700wx and 700p. Palm never fixes anything. Why would they fix WebOS problems any faster? How long should you wait for an uncrippled cut and paste?
    Why did you buy a Palm device when you have "total distrust" for them? If I didn't have trust in a company, I wouldn't give them my money.

    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    4) Community (very minor issue). The people on this board are pretty nasty and way to "religious" about their tech. If you say anything negative, they immediately scream you are wrong, then extol some of the virtues of the Pre just for extra effect. If I'm going to buy a version 1.0/beta phone I'd want help not flames.
    I guess we just differ here. An online community wouldn't have any affect on which phone I use.
  10. #50  
    FWIW, I ditched the Pre for the 3G S as well. I went through 3 Pre's, each with build quality issues, and one with a dead pixel as well. I just realized that I was not into having a 1st gen device. I love my iPhone and am very happy with my decision to switch.

    Let it be known that I'm not a hater of the Pre. I think WebOS is wonderful and has great potential. I could see myself owning a future WebOS device. The Pre just wasn't for me, the iPhone however is.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Why do people feel the need to justify their reasonings for switching to the iphone? If you like it go with it! Why the long negative posts bashing the Pre on a Pre forum no less? I ditched my iphone and wouldn't touch another with a ten foot pole. IMO, they're more hype than anything else and yes they have tons of hardware issues (visit their forums for proof). But not once have I posted on the Apple forums bashing it.

    The Pre wipes the floor with it in both multasking, web browsing and email imo. I could care less about the amount of apps. I bought the pre for what it can do best not because I think it's as feature rich as the iphone. If you want the Pre to be like the Iphone, get the Iphone, period!!

    I think the mods should just move these types threads to their designated areas. Visit the Apple forums and you will not find a single thread like this? Why? They delete them all.
    I think your definition of "bashing" needs adjustment. Your bar's too low.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions