Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post

4) Community (very minor issue). The people on this board are pretty nasty and way to "religious" about their tech. If you say anything negative, they immediately scream you are wrong, then extol some of the virtues of the Pre just for extra effect. If I'm going to buy a version 1.0/beta phone I'd want help not flames.
    I had to laugh at this one. While what you say is true, the apple fanboy forums are at least as bad.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I had to laugh at this one. While what you say is true, the apple fanboy forums are at least as bad.
    I absolutely agree, but my point is that I won't need to be on Apple forums.

The Pre is too new, and has too many quirks not to have community help. The iPhone is pretty settled. If all goes well, I will just have and use a phone, and not spend any time reading forums.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I don't doubt it but it's a tough one to swallow when you remember how these forums used to be.

I still wonder, however, about folks who choose to be the earliest of adopters but don't hang in there for the long haul. I mean, I guess waiting 30 days is fair, but it seems like anyone following these forums would feel that things are on the up-swing. We've got a rumored update coming in a matter of days and have had 2 others already. It seems like an odd time to bail. Oh well. Maybe I'd feel similarly if I'd gone through a bunch of Pre's already; that might smell a little too much like the 700p days.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    thanks for playing, have a nice life.
    thank you so much for the looooooooonnnnnggg goodbye....we are gonna miss u soooooooooooooooooo much!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    thanks for playing, have a nice life.
    It's crap like this, that makes me wonder what the typical age of users here is....

These forums have gotten progressively worse and worse when it comes to maturity. I was hoping that the Mods here would start issuing warnings to people....

I've been pretty much a lurker until i got my Pre (last week), but now I don't know that I even want to take part in a bunch of little fanboy bickering.

Best of luck to you OP with your Iphone, there are pro's and con's on both sides, and I hope you find the best solution for you.

As far as the forum is concerned, if nobody brings up their issues with the Pre, then Palm has no basis for making changes. These professional posts noting the issues with the phone (like this thread), are what fuel Palm to make corrections. I don't see why some fanboys here aren't mature enough to realize it.
    jthelman, just don't worry about all the coments. I love the pre and to me I really don't see any bugs. Nothing bothers me except the lack of application and I don't need to hear the phone has been out for less then 2 months cause who cares your buying a pre to use today just like you would an iphone. If ATT has 3g network in the town I live it I would be a iphone owner, I actually waited for the pre and also bought an iphone but had to return it due to no 3g network. However I have said since day one when the pre was released, if there is no slingplayer by august 15th out for the Pre I'm going back to windows mobile.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I have two words: Instant+Gratification.
    Enjoy the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theutus View Post
    Best of luck to you OP with your Iphone, there are pro's and con's on both sides, and I hope you find the best solution for you.

As far as the forum is concerned, if nobody brings up their issues with the Pre, then Palm has no basis for making changes. These professional posts noting the issues with the phone (like this thread), are what fuel Palm to make corrections. I don't see why some fanboys here aren't mature enough to realize it.
    This is a straw man argument, and not the issue AT ALL.

The problem is seemingly everybody with a problem makes a new thread, and it's annoying. If the intent if to get Palm's attention to fix an issue, which would make more sense: 1) a huge 800 reply thread entitled "Buglist" or 2)a random thread from LadiesMan217 entitled "Sorry Palm, but I'm leaving"?

Beyond that, do you REALLY think Palm is unaware of hardware issues at this point? How do you suggest they address "distrust in Palm" or "the Palm Community is mean"? How is this thread helpful to solving either of those issues?

I mean, seriously. How many forums can you end a lengthy post with "Oh, and the people here are pretty nasty" and expect a productive or reasonable discussion?
    My Pre has been perfect since I got it at launch.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This is a straw man argument, and not the issue AT ALL.

The problem is seemingly everybody with a problem makes a new thread, and it's annoying. If the intent if to get Palm's attention to fix an issue, which would make more sense: 1) a huge 800 reply thread entitled "Buglist" or 2)a random thread from LadiesMan217 entitled "Sorry Palm, but I'm leaving"?

Beyond that, do you REALLY think Palm is unaware of hardware issues at this point? How do you suggest they address "distrust in Palm" or "the Palm Community is mean"? How is this thread helpful to solving either of those issues?

I mean, seriously. How many forums can you end a lengthy post with "Oh, and the people here are pretty nasty" and expect a productive or reasonable discussion?
    He's right, the forums here HAVE gotten pretty nasty. These one line comments talking about "have a nice life" are immature at best. Everyone knew from the title exactly what to expect coming into this thread. If you don't enjoy people posting these things, fine... Say it in a professional manner, not "We won't miss you". Honestly, the last thing I want to see this forum turn into is a fanboy mess of flaming.

Personally, I don't mind reading these posts at all. They give me insight into some issues that I didn't know existed, and also give the community a chance to possibly inform the user what options he has... Or maybe he didn't realize a feature existed, how to use it etc.

Maybe the mods should create a forum for "Jumping Ship", where people can post their feedback on why they are leaving etc. Somewhere where as a last resort maybe a user here could help them with their situation, or give some advice as to how to proceed. Regardless, they are still members of this community, and are expressing their opinion (usually in a professional manner). I see no issue with that at all.

I will agree with you to some point, in that I don't want to see "pre sucks iphone rulez" threads. That isn't the case here.

Just my .02 cents, take from it what you will.
    Everyone just needs to realize that there is no one perfect phone for everyone (suffice to say there is no perfect phone period). Also, everyone's usage is different. So if one person has a pre and it works great for them for how they use it, it is not to say there is another person that the phone does not perform for their needs. Neither person is wrong.

Palm is a company in their own right and we don't need to defend their actions, they are ultimately responsible for what they do. As far as this or that phone being better, we should let the companies do their own battles and we enjoy the options and innovation we get because of this as consumers. Alot of users seem to hate the iphone but you have to respect it for in some ways it helped shape WebOS.

I myself really like the pre and want to see it succeed but by defending Palm in the forums ultimately will have no impact on Palm's outcome. It is ok to have discussions about the phone's shortcomings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theutus View Post
    He's right, the forums here HAVE gotten pretty nasty. These one line comments talking about "have a nice life" are immature at best. Everyone knew from the title exactly what to expect coming into this thread. If you don't enjoy people posting these things, fine... Say it in a professional manner, not "We won't miss you". Honestly, the last thing I want to see this forum turn into is a fanboy mess of flaming.
    It's circular arguing. People leave lengthy goodbye Pre posts. This pisses people off because they won't put them in the proper thread and keep clogging up the front page. People then say the forum has gotten nasty. This makes the people even less tolerant of complaints since they're being personally insulted. Rinse. Repeat if desired.

Nobody is saying "Have a nice life" or "You won't be missed" to someone wondering about a Pre issue or bug in any sort of reasonable thread. They're saying it to people who've already made their mind up and need one last burst of attention, so they create YET ANOTHER thread like this. Again, it doesn't help Palm, it doesn't help this forum or the tone of discourse here, and it definitely does no favors for the OP. That's why it pisses people off to keep seeing these threads.

Personally, I don't mind reading these posts at all. They give me insight into some issues that I didn't know existed, and also give the community a chance to possibly inform the user what options he has... Or maybe he didn't realize a feature existed, how to use it etc.
    That's just the point. This is all after the fact. They've ALREADY chosen another platform so discussion of the issues is academic. "Oh, all I had to do with shut off GPS when I wasn't using it, and my battery life would've improved to what I was used to? Please disregard my 12-paragraph screed about how the Pre is a toy and Palm blew it."

Maybe the mods should create a forum for "Jumping Ship", where people can post their feedback on why they are leaving etc. Somewhere where as a last resort maybe a user here could help them with their situation, or give some advice as to how to proceed. Regardless, they are still members of this community, and are expressing their opinion (usually in a professional manner). I see no issue with that at all.
    Again, that's not the case here. Not only is this after-the-fact whining, but it's coupled with "This forum is pretty nasty" generalizing. Having made the same mistake some months ago when I felt like the pre-Pre talk was unerringly anti-Palm, I can tell you that this is not the way to go about changing things. It just makes it worse.
    Oh how The Goat misses the good old days. When our members were very welcoming and seemingly intelligent.

I don't even bother with my long-winded speaches anymore about how we should all remain classy.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    why are people who don't own a pre or getting rid of one feel the need to post? OP did you really think your post was going to make others see the reasoning behind it and go return their pre? And for the ones who state i don't have a pre and i wont until they..blah blah blah, who cares what you do or don't have. If you have a legitimate pre issue post it, why are you even a registered member? You don't see me on the 1991 Ford Taurus forums...you know why...cause I don't own one. People must have ungodly amounts of time on their hands if they can afford to waste it on forums inmaterial to their everyday lives.
    Dear mikah, below is a fine example of just how wrong you are about the forum members with smart-alec comments and silly, sorry reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty78 View Post
    why are people who don't own a pre or getting rid of one feel the need to post? OP did you really think your post was going to make others see the reasoning behind it and go return their pre? And for the ones who state i don't have a pre and i wont until they..blah blah blah, who cares what you do or don't have. If you have a legitimate pre issue post it, why are you even a registered member? You don't see me on the 1991 Ford Taurus forums...you know why...cause I don't own one. People must have ungodly amounts of time on their hands if they can afford to waste it on forums inmaterial to their everyday lives.
    On some level, I'm amazed that someone would come into an existing thread that they think is a waste of time, and then waste time repeatedly posting that it is a waste of time. I don't get why they scream, "Who cares?!" while other forum members posts clearly show that THEY care.

And for those who wonder why those who are post-Pre or who have no Pre post here, it's because it's a community and that's how it goes. Some of us highly anticipate but get disappointed or are happy or have to wait until their contract runs out or any number or other perfectly valid reasons.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    OP: Good luck. You'll have a great time with your new iPhone 3GS.

Everyone else: Instead of feverishly discussing whether he should have or should not have posted, whether he is justified or not justified to post, etc... it is a waste of time. Just say, "I hear you," or just leave at it, or just don't read it. Keep it simple and life would be good.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    You don't see me on the 1991 Ford Taurus forums...
    That was actually pretty funny

That said, there's no reason to blast folks who decide to post their issues with the Pre. It's a Pre community forum. This guy had interest and decided to share his Pre experience and/or thoughts. Things like this are still helpful for those trying to decide on phones or who have not yet purchased a Pre. There are lots of lurkers who want to know the good, bad and ugly.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by logie View Post
    Go for a triple post!
    He did... in a separate thread.
    Last edited by groovy; 07/20/2009 at 03:09 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast