Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

    I'm rather confused as to why I keep reading posts which state that you should turn "off" the GPS option under location services to save battery life.

    I could definitely understand this if I was using navigation all the time / Google maps / etc -- but I am not. I just like to leave the option on so that if I do use one of these applications (which is rare) that GPS will be utilized to provide location data to the app.

    So, here's the question -- if I do not have any of those apps running and I have the collect anonymous location data off, why would leaving this GPS option on affect battery?

    If no program is asking for GPS data, I assume it shuts off the GPS radio within the phone... correct? If not, why do they have the GPS radio running at all times even when no program is requesting location information?
  2.    #2  
    So I just tried to start Sprint Navigation with all settings set to off -- it refused. It wanted to enable GPS -- understandable. Yet, after stopping Sprint navigation, it did not shut off GPS again. So, is it actually still running in the background now???

    If so, why did Palm program the device like this???
  3. #3  
    So that when you did want GPS it would be immediately available instead of having to wait for it to acquire the satellite signals and then your position. Want better battery over instant positioning, then keep it off. Palm did the right thing here.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Palm did the right thing here.
    Then why do they not automatically have it revert to its original state (ie, GPS off) after an application turns it on temporarily for navigation / other location services needs?
  5. #5  
    A good compromise would be to have an option to turn it off or leave it on when leaving apps that uses gps.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bschlinker View Post
    Then why do they not automatically have it revert to its original state (ie, GPS off) after an application turns it on temporarily for navigation / other location services needs?
    I see your point, guess they couldve done a better job there. Maybe it'll come in an upgrade.
  7. #7  
    Under "Location Services" there are Auto locate, Use GPS, Geotag Photos, and Background Data Collection. How does each effect battery usage? If we use Auto Location on and the rest off, does that improve battery at the cost of less accuracy? What exactly does Background Data Collection do?
    Laissez Faire
  8. #8  
    I keep mine on, I didn't notice a difference from when I had it off.
  9. #9  
    I have mine on all the time, I don't have poor battery life.
  10. #10  
    I noticed difference with GPS being off vs. on (actually seemed like more drain with it off, but I'm sure other factors were involved). I leave it on.
  11. #11  
    I have all of mine off. I'll just activate them when I need them. Better battery life vs. having them all on. Quicker drain with location services in the on position.
  12. Modular's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #12  
    I can say for sure that GPS turned ON does not consume any power as long as no App is running that uses GPS. This is a fact.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    I can say for sure that GPS turned ON does not consume any power as long as no App is running that uses GPS. This is a fact.
    To be honest, this would make the most sense to me. Have you done a test to attempt to prove this (battery life over time vs option)?

    If it is true, I would like to finally know when I am reading through a battery life thread that the people who claim "Turn off GPS" have no idea what they are talking about.
  14. #14  
    I leave everything on all the time (Wifi, BT, and GPS). I have noticed no difference in battery use with them all on than with them all off. (My battery life is twice what I got with my 800w and 1.5x my centro.) People just assume that turning them all off will help battery life because that was true with older smart phones. My testing has convinced me that is not the case with the Pre. Palm has done an excellent job with power management on the Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  15. edoles's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    I keep mine on, I didn't notice a difference from when I had it off.
    Same here. after a couple weeks of usage, battery life is no longer the concern it was when i first got the phone. Anyone else have the same experience that if you have GPS turned off, google maps doesn't ask you to turn it on as it does with the Nav? I figured it would ask for it.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    People just assume that turning them all off will help battery life because that was true with older smart phones. My testing has convinced me that is not the case with the Pre. Palm has done an excellent job with power management on the Pre.
    Well now, hang on a minute. People assume that turning off GPS will help because on the Location Services page, under Use GPS, it says, "Improves accuracy but can impact battery life." As to whether it will have an impact on battery life if no active applications are using it, that's another question. It's pretty easy to hallucinate battery life differences. We're pretty short on objective test results in this category.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  17. #17  
    I don't have a pre YET, but I have a Treo 800w and I find that leaving gps location on does not affect battery life as long as you don't have an app using gps running in the background.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Drnycallstar19 View Post
    I find that leaving gps location on does not affect battery life as long as you don't have an app using gps running in the background.
    exactly thats wut i think too....

Posting Permissions