Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Siraris's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
       #1  
    My phone gets tremendously hot from calls that last 15-20+ minutes long. I'm talking about a temperature that has to be approaching or passing 100 degrees F. The battery drains extremely fast, and the heat resonates from the bottom part of the phone. A minute or so after I hang up, the phone cools down quite a bit.

    Does everyone have this issue?
  2. #2  
    i had this problem today as well...i don't know why it does it...at first i thought maybe it was just because i was in a place with bad reception, but even after i hung up and made the phone cal where i had good reception (3-4 bars) it still got hot....it started heating up after about 5 mins though...so that's even worse....
  3. Enthusiast's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'm most certainly sure this issue is with all 1st generation Pre devices. On my Pre, I noticed that if I open numerous applications -- the device turns abnormally warm on the back.

    Its something I think we all have to deal with -- and hope for a upgrade on this issue -- and if that upgrade it possible.

    -Enthusiast
  4. #4  
    I'm not usually a thread nazi but come on! this has to have been posted a zillion times. I think one of the threads is even still on the main page.

    Yes, the phone gets hot.
  5. Siraris's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
       #5  
    I mentioned in another thread that I was going through my contacts the other day, simply deleting some duplicates that I copied over from my Curve, and the phone got extremely hot and started dropping battery like crazy. I have my Facebook synced with my contact list, and so I have roughly 300 contacts, but I was simply scrolling through my book, finding dupes, and hitting delete, and the phone got extremely hot.

    I just want to make sure this is a known issue, and is not an abnormality for just a few. If some phones have an issue, and others don't, then it's either a bug, or something in the manufacturing process. If all do, I guess it's a way of life?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    I'm not usually a thread nazi but come on! this has to have been posted a zillion times. I think one of the threads is even still on the main page.

    Yes, the phone gets hot.
    +1... everyone's Pre gets hot with some use. It gets even hotter when you have it sitting on the Touchstone. I've been using my phone with a bluetooth headset for long calls and for short ones, I don't notice much difference. Hopefully some of these hardware issues will be fixed in the Pre 2, but they're insignificant enough to me to not worry about it.
  7. #7  
    I don't even know that its a Pre only issue. My 700P would get hot and the screen would dim during long phone calls.
  8. #8  
    my blackberry did too. and? duh your using the phone its going to get hot. my new pre is hotter than my old one is though.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  9. Enthusiast's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    my blackberry did too. and? duh your using the phone its going to get hot. my new pre is hotter than my old one is though.
    You are correct. My preceding Blackberry Curve was another phone that had this issue during long phone calls. I don't really want to call it an issue -- because I'm sure Palm will fix this somehow -- we have to understand that all of us have first generation Pre devices. It may even be the battery actually. The warmth comes from the back of the Pre.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    You are correct. My preceding Blackberry Curve was another phone that had this issue during long phone calls. I don't really want to call it an issue -- because I'm sure Palm will fix this somehow -- we have to understand that all of us have first generation Pre devices. It may even be the battery actually. The warmth comes from the back of the Pre.

    idk if my heat issue is from the battery, it feels like its coming from one of the radios, maybe wifi, its below the battery
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  11. SHO_ONE's Avatar
    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    My phone gets tremendously hot from calls that last 15-20+ minutes long. I'm talking about a temperature that has to be approaching or passing 100 degrees F. The battery drains extremely fast, and the heat resonates from the bottom part of the phone. A minute or so after I hang up, the phone cools down quite a bit.

    Does everyone have this issue?

    Mine doesn't heat up like that, but it get's hot enough to be annoying. The heat makes my face sweat a little and thatís more annoying than anything. I love my Pre, but the battery thing is a soar spot for me.
  12. eji930's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #12  
    My phone heated up for the first time today while I was charging it...on WIFI and a Bluetooth Phone call..SO I think thats normal with all the radios running but as far as just using the device it doesnt get any warmer than any other phone..but I found if your going to be running all the raidos wifi bluetooth and phone just charge it and place it right in front off a fan and it wont be hot at all
  13. Siraris's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
       #13  
    I do not run wifi or bluetooth, and when I make a call over 20 minutes, it gets HOT, like I can't hold it there.
  14. geogray's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #14  
    Holy crap! Every bloody cell phone I've ever had got hot, sometimes really hot, on long calls. And, guess what? The battery drained quicker too. Call me stupid, but I think this is endemic to prolonged use and not a fault of the bloody phone. My last phone-a Motorola Q-got so damned hot it was uncomfortable. I had two of those things and they both acted the same way. The LG-350X I had would get hot, the display would get dim and the thing had so-so call quality. But, hey, the camera was decent. That's something, right?
  15. Siraris's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
       #15  
    So strange.

    Just did a test with a friend: called him, put the phone on mute and set it down. Over 16 minutes, I lost 5% of battery (62% - 57%) and the phone barely got warm whatsoever (if at all). Last night, I felt like I talked on the phone for 20 minutes, and my phone was red hot. Maybe it's because I was in a weak signal area last night (in my living room) and it was trying to stay connected to my Airrave?
  16. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I don't even know that its a Pre only issue. My 700P would get hot and the screen would dim during long phone calls.
    +1
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    So strange.

    Just did a test with a friend: called him, put the phone on mute and set it down. Over 16 minutes, I lost 5% of battery (62% - 57%) and the phone barely got warm whatsoever (if at all). Last night, I felt like I talked on the phone for 20 minutes, and my phone was red hot. Maybe it's because I was in a weak signal area last night (in my living room) and it was trying to stay connected to my Airrave?
    Correct, unusually hot phones are due to a weak signal, not due to the phone. Your battery will drain faster and generate more heat when your signal is weak and connecting. This is why people with a good wi-fi signal get better battery life, the background sync is using less energy with a better signal.

Posting Permissions