View Poll Results: Are you a Palm Pre fanboy?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

98 48.28%
  • No

77 37.93%
  • I'm not sure

6 2.96%
  • Give me more time to think

22 10.84%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I voted No, as I have been following this forum from just before the Pre released. I was hoping for big things with the phone, but after seeing one in person at the store, then a friend bought one. I have been let down. The phone looks wonderfull, screen res and styling. Way too many hardware issues. I have bought a used BB curve (hoping it arrives soon) to maintain my upgrade discount in the hope that Palm has issues resolved within the next year or so.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Frankly, and I don't mean to be offensive or point a finger directly at you so please don't take it that way, but I have to wonder how many of you long time Palm loyalists are jaded when it comes to the Pre. I owned a number of Palm PDAs from way-back-when and a Treo 650 that I absolutely loved (and everyone made fun of since it was such a big, solid, brick of a thing), but IMO it doesn't hold a candle to using the Pre. It's like maybe some of you guys can't get over Palm deserting your old OS and devices and are taking it out on the Pre. Fortunately, that umbilical cord was involuntarily broken for me a few years back.

As far as fanboy, I think the Pre is a terrific device that has made my life much easier in a number of ways as compared to the BB it replaced but, just like with my old Treo, it's only a phone. I would really just like to be able to come to a forum that's not chock full of threads started by people with questionable motives. I think the number of people who feel compelled to go to the trouble of visiting, signing up and posting just to let the world know the device is not for them is telling in a number of ways. And the guys and gals that call BS on them for doing so are the bad guys?? Gimme a break. I don't like or want the iPhone, but I've never felt the need to go over and "straighten-out" the people that do. If I did, they'd call me a d**k, and I'd deserve it. No matter how you spin it, that's just pitiful.

Constructive criticism is great, but just bashing, regardless of which beloved platform you come from, is lame. And that's coming from a fair-weather fan.
    I think you have some good points here that may be true for some folks but I am not sure why you chose to quote me. I said, "Palm hit a home run with the OS but the hardware sucks." I LOVE the OS and it is awesome!

If I think the OS was a home run then how can my post be quoted as a long time palm fan who misses the original OS and can't get over the loss of the old platform????

My complaint was about the hardware and how the Pre lacks as a talking device (phone) compared to most of my older Palm PHONES due to reception issues and dropped calls. I love the new OS and it is in fact the ONLY reason I didn't return my Pre for good after 30 days despite MULTIPLE hardware FAILURES with the first three Pre phones I got.

Same home, same network...different palm phone....NOW I need an airave and always drop calls and get way more VM's than I ever did and pieces break off like the usb door and power buttons get lose and spider web cracks appear on the screen within a few days....

And yes, I use a carrying case and am gentle with my Pre phones. I never had to return ANY of my other Palm phones because they broke or for poor reception and didn't even know what an airave was until I bought a Pre.

SO again, Palm fan yes, Palm Fan Boy...NO. I refuse to ignore the major hardware issues with this palm device despite lovong the OS. Now, put the Pre's OS in the iphone's well constructed body and you have a real home run.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Simple question:
    Do you consider yourself a Palm Pre fanboy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    To me the Palm fanboys are worse. At least with the Apple users, they love their products and don't really give a damn about anything else. With people here, it seems they are more obsessed with iPhone and Applee than with the Pre. They tried to justify every fault someone has with the Pre by saying well the iPhone didn't do it when it was released, Pre is a 1.0 product while iPhone is 3.0 and rest of all that crap.
    You didn't even answer the question that the thread is based around. You went right to bashing Palm "fanboys" and "people here".
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    I think you have some good points here that may be true for some folks but I am not sure why you chose to quote me. I said, "Palm hit a home run with the OS but the hardware sucks." I LOVE the OS and it is awesome!

If I think the OS was a home run then how can my post be quoted as a long time palm fan who misses the original OS and can't get over the loss of the old platform????

My complaint was about the hardware and how the Pre lacks as a talking device (phone) compared to most of my older Palm PHONES due to reception issues and dropped calls. I love the new OS and it is in fact the ONLY reason I didn't return my Pre for good after 30 days despite MULTIPLE hardware FAILURES with the first three Pre phones I got.

Same home, same network...different palm phone....NOW I need an airave and always drop calls and get way more VM's than I ever did and pieces break off like the usb door and power buttons get lose and spider web cracks appear on the screen within a few days....

And yes, I use a carrying case and am gentle with my Pre phones. I never had to return ANY of my other Palm phones because they broke or for poor reception and didn't even know what an airave was until I bought a Pre.

SO again, Palm fan yes, Palm Fan Boy...NO. I refuse to ignore the major hardware issues with this palm device despite lovong the OS. Now, put the Pre's OS in the iphone's well constructed body and you have a real home run.
    Well, like I said, I wasn't pointing at you, and that was just in reference to your experience with your 600 and the Pre, and mine with the 650. I guess I need to be a little more careful in parsing out the quotes I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Well, like I said, I wasn't pointing at you, and that was just in reference to your experience with your 600 and the Pre, and mine with the 650. I guess I need to be a little more careful in parsing out the quotes I use.
    No big deal. I actually agreed with much of what you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I don't agree with Wikipedia's definition (or perhaps with your edit). A fan has great enthusiasm. A fan boy has an unreasonable, unbridled passion for an object, beyond reasonableness, to the point of being blind to that object's weaknesses.

And there are lots of fan boys here that rival those on on the iPhone sites in terms of blindness.
    yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I don't agree with Wikipedia's definition (or perhaps with your edit). A fan has great enthusiasm. A fan boy has an unreasonable, unbridled passion for an object, beyond reasonableness, to the point of being blind to that object's weaknesses.

And there are lots of fan boys here that rival those on on the iPhone sites in terms of blindness.
    The word "fanboy" is a lot like "nerd" or "geek." It was originally meant as derisive but a lot of the objects of that derision have begun adopt that moniker proudly. I don't have a problem with labeling myself as a "fanboy" but usually when I try to avoid applying it to individual people since I would see it as rude. (This is probably because fanboy is a relatively recent term and still retains more of a negative connotation than nerd or geek.) In fact I rarely use the term "fanboy" as singular and prefer to use it in a more generalized manner to describe people with an immature attitude about their own fandom. I think that the "Palm can't do anything right" crowd is just as obsessive and fanboyish as the "Palm can do no wrong" crowd. There is little difference in my mind between extreme, uncritical love and extreme, hypercritical hatred. In fact they can often be one in the same -- especially when they are done right....
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    To me the Palm fanboys are worse. At least with the Apple users, they love their products and don't really give a damn about anything else. With people here, it seems they are more obsessed with iPhone and Applee than with the Pre. They tried to justify every fault someone has with the Pre by saying well the iPhone didn't do it when it was released, Pre is a 1.0 product while iPhone is 3.0 and rest of all that crap.
    I guess it's all a matter of perspective. You see to me, the example you gave of Palm fanboys being unreasonable sounds perfectly reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    Yep. I have exclusively owned Palm for over ten years. I have also been with Sprint for over ten years due to their cheap data plan and Palm devices as well.

That said, I might own an iphone 3gs if they were on Sprint.

BUT I do hate apple "proprietary" thinking even if I think they make an excellent product and they do.

I will also add that I can't stand when people call the Pre a 1.0 device and then excuse it for its many faults. In my mind Palm has been doing this longer than most so I expect more from them. My Pre as a phone isn't as good as my 5 year old treo 600 as a phone. They hit a home run with the OS on the Pre but the hardware sucks and I believe the average Joe user will likely pick the i phone over the Pre because side by side the Pre looks and feels like a cheap Chinese toy compared to the solid iphone and older Palm smart phones as well. This is coming from a Palm fan but not a Palm Fan Boy.
    Personally I have a big problem with people who show this kind of an attitude where they dismiss the opinions of other people by merely saying that they are a "fanboy" or some other derisive term. I happen to think that the fact that the Pre is a 1.0 product is a perfectly legitimate reason for the occasional shortcoming. It was a major shift from the Treo and there were bound to be mistakes along the way.

Maybe I've just been lucky because my Pre hasn't had any hardware problems so I don't see how it looks and feels cheap next to the iPhone. (My Treo 270 by contrast had to be replaced three times eight years ago and looked very fragile.) And while my Treo 600 was built like a tank, many people saw as a bad thing. Maybe this is why my attitude towards the Pre is different from yours. I have grown increasingly addicted to wireless data over the years. (I installed the Palm VII libraries on my Treo 270 eight years ago so I could use PQAs.)

I still remember the day I decided to abandon my Treo 680 when I couldn't even pull up a simple bus schedule in the middle of a cold Chicago winter because its data connection kept crapping out. That was when I moved to Android with the T-Mobile G1. I moved back to Palm with the Pre mainly because it kept the simplicity that made the PalmOS great and married it with a modern OS and web browser and was much faster than the G1. The fact that I can use PalmOS apps in Classic is just gravy. If that makes me a "fanboy," so be it.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Sure am. I love this thing and I show it off to everyone. One of my friends who has an iPhone is jealous, though the iPhone did get much better with OS3.0, so he's not quite as jealous as he was right when the Pre first came out. He is a power user too, not just some shmuck who bought an iPhone cause everyone else did.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234