View Poll Results: Are you a Palm Pre fanboy?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

98 48.28%
  • No

77 37.93%
  • I'm not sure

6 2.96%
  • Give me more time to think

22 10.84%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Nope not a fan at all.

Cant be a fan of a product that IMHO is substandard.
    Last edited by Hellweek; 07/21/2009 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Ok, so I'm not crazy after all (at least not completely). I used Datebook to fill in the gaps of the standard PIM on my Palm devices as well. But with the way guys talk about Palm's PIMS being so comprehensive in the past, I thought maybe I was misremembering that and have been wondering why I had ever bought Datebook in the first place.
    Actually, the calendar on the Treo 600 was adequate, because it was a slightly feature limited version of Datebk. I'll agree that Datebk+ is a huge improvement over the base Palm calendar, and probably should have been more clear that the capabilities of the Treo were based in part on it's wide availability of 3rd party tools. But I think even base Palm calendar on the Treos was, in many respects, better than what's on the Pre. Heck, at least I could search it.

And I do hope that 3rd party developers will provide better PIM apps that what's available now. I really want to like the Pre, it's just not there yet, for my needs. Without (as a small example) floating appointments, advance notifications, and the alarm controls of datebk 5 or 6, it's too limited. FOR MY NEEDS.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You haven't given much information at all, just a lot of opinion. And, I don't blame you for not answering about the phone. Hard for some folks to man-up when asked simple, yet revealing, questions.

So now my opinion is also incorrect?
    I'll also point out that meyerweb's generalization about Treo owners is too broad. I used the PIM functionality of the Treo heavily, and do miss much of it, and also hope the Pre comes up to speed on it.
    You're right, and I probably shouldn't have written it. It was a (over) reaction to the comment below, which was equally too broad.

It's like maybe some of you guys can't get over Palm deserting your old OS and devices and are taking it out on the Pre.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    So now my opinion is also incorrect?
    Don't think I said anything was incorrect. But no, your opinion is probably just that. Your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Actually, the calendar on the Treo 600 was adequate, because it was a slightly feature limited version of Datebk. I'll agree that Datebk+ is a huge improvement over the base Palm calendar, and probably should have been more clear that the capabilities of the Treo were based in part on it's wide availability of 3rd party tools. But I think even base Palm calendar on the Treos was, in many respects, better than what's on the Pre. Heck, at least I could search it.

And I do hope that 3rd party developers will provide better PIM apps that what's available now. I really want to like the Pre, it's just not there yet, for my needs. Without (as a small example) floating appointments, advance notifications, and the alarm controls of datebk 5 or 6, it's too limited. FOR MY NEEDS.
    Ahhh, how much nicer things are when folks can calmly discuss instead of just cuss.

See, THIS we can agree on. I agree, the PIM functionality on the Pre is less than the base functionality on the original Palm devices. However, to be fair, I also believe that Palm gave up writing/modifying PIM software a long time ago, and left it up to the third party folks to continue on with addons.

That's the nature of things like that. You have a PDA that everyone is buying for the PDA capabilities. Then once that crowd is in place, they want more, and find it. Then others start buying because of the "more" capabilities. Suddenly, the mfg has programmers (the PIM folks) sitting around with nothing to do because the 3rd party guys are writing better stuff, and there's no money to be made writing software to better what's there.

As a matter of fact, it's counter-productive in many ways, because you are then competing with your partners (the third party app guys). I suspect Palm released all of the PIM programmers a long time ago. That was semi-confirmed when the Treo came with a light version of DateBook (was it really the 600? I thought it was later than that...).

At any rate, I wasn't surprised that the Pre was very basic in this area. I'll freely admit, I'm disappointed primarily with tasks; however, I believe everything (including tasks) will come up to speed.

Look at it from Palm and developer's viewpoint. Palm shouldn't (and probably wouldn't, and likely couldn't) release information about what developers are planning. Developers probably don't want to release information because they don't want possible competitors stealing information.

Those of us that have the Pre are still in the infancy stage with it. This thing has barely begun taking baby steps (wasn't going to happen until the SDK was publicly released).

I still say be patient, it will come. If I don't start seeing some serious apps (including PIM addons) by the end of the year, I'll be worried. If I don't see blow my socks off stuff by June of next year, I'll be looking for a new device.

Until then, I'm having fun with what I've got.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Point out one incorrect information that I have given out on this forum. As for what phone I use it's none of your business.
    Not true - if you want credibility, then the rule is full disclosure.

And since you own an iphone - what exactly are you doing here? You have no Pre experience, right? One can only assume you're a troll.
    Last edited by ION-q; 07/21/2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ION-q View Post

And since you own an iphone - what exactly are you doing here? You have no Pre experience, right? Once can only assume you're a troll.
    Once a farmer and his wife went to a costume party, he was dressed as a bull, she was dressed as a heifer. They decided to take a shortcut across another farmer's field, when suddenly a real bull started chasing them.

"What are we going to do??!!" the farmers wife asked...

Now, you might wonder what this has to do with anything. It's not in the amount of "bull" that's being spread on this forum lately. It's not even "tool envy". It's right here in the punch line:

The farmer said "I'm going to sit here and chew on some grass, but you better brace yo'self"
    I suspect Palm released all of the PIM programmers a long time ago. That was semi-confirmed when the Treo came with a light version of DateBook (was it really the 600? I thought it was later than that...).
    The Treo 600 came from Handspring, who licensed Datebk. The 650 and later versions were created after Palm bought HandSpring, and Palm reverted back to their own calendar.
    Bob Meyer

I agree. I think it's that word "potential" that you bolded in your last post that I just take for granted. When I look at the PIM stuff, I see big, wide-open Preferences screens that I just assume will be filled out as time goes on. And I almost don't want Palm to be the ones to do it, so that 3rd parties come along and give a number of options so I can pick the one that best meets my needs. All within this terrific OS framework.
    And I almost don't want Palm to be the ones to do it, so that 3rd parties come along and give a number of options so I can pick the one that best meets my needs. All within this terrific OS framework.
    I'm with you on that, but I'd drop the "almost" for me. I'd rather pay an entity that specializes in that, then get it frmo the the phone seller who doesn't.
    The Treo 600 came from Handspring, who licensed Datebk. The 650 and later versions were created after Palm bought HandSpring, and Palm reverted back to their own calendar.
    True. Actually, the full featured PIM apps were due to 3rd party development and Handspring had several in their pocket. The Treo 300 and 600 were, IMO, the pinnacle of Garnet's PIM apps. After Palm took over, all native PIM went downhill with features disappearing left and right. I was never one to use 3rd party addons, so I noticed the trend. It would seem that Palm was cutting loose 3rd party developers from its purse.

Now if Palm took a page from Handspring's playbook, and signed up all the PIM developers way before releasing WebOS, we might have been wowed on launch day. I hope they did and other factors had come into play that's delaying release of PIM addons. You have to admit that the lack of features contribute to a stable OS. But what we have on the Pre now is manageable for ME. Count me in as one that used ALL the features in the PalmOS PIM. Do I miss them - yeah. But I have learned to adjust and manage by simple workarounds. The only thing I don't have now is DocsToGo and DataViz will more likely deliver soon. Plus, I'm thinking of buying Classic for other legacy apps that I miss - just wish it didn't crash so much when running non-certified classic apps.

I do enjoy the exchange of opinions, ideas, and even the personal attacks. They are very informative one way or another. At the very least, amusing and entertaining.

Carry on Pre-ers!

BTW, I don't consider myself a fanboy because I don't push my opinion onto others. If someone asked if I like my Pre, I say "I love it." But if they ask if they should get it, then my reply would be well calculated considering their background and potential use of the device.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    You're right, and I probably shouldn't have written it. It was a (over) reaction to the comment below, which was equally too broad.
    Well, I must admit I've probably had a lot of over-reactions since the day I joined this forum and the very first thread I started describing how much I was enjoying my new phone was crapped-upon by another member who felt it was important to straighten things out for me.

I'm not really a tyrant.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    You have to admit that the lack of features contribute to a stable OS.
    I was thinking about that too. More stuff would've probably meant more crashes. Hopefully this time waiting adds up to 3rd party apps that are rock-solid out of the box.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts

And since you own an iphone - what exactly are you doing here? You have no Pre experience, right? One can only assume you're a troll.
    Since I own an iPhone, how in the world would you know this?
    And now it's time for us all to sing Kumbaya. Anyone have that on their Pre?
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Since I own an iPhone, how in the world would you know this?
    Because you admitted to it previously. Don't you read your own posts? And if not, why should we?
    When more apps come out I'll probably be a fanboy.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Anyone here who has a picture of the Pre as their avatar....is a fanboy.

I'm a Pre.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Because you admitted to it previously. Don't you read your own posts? And if not, why should we?
    Show me where I admitted to owning anything?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast