View Poll Results: Are you a Palm Pre fanboy?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    98 48.28%
  • No

    77 37.93%
  • I'm not sure

    6 2.96%
  • Give me more time to think

    22 10.84%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70
  1. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I don't agree with Wikipedia's definition (or perhaps with your edit). A fan has great enthusiasm. A fan boy has an unreasonable, unbridled passion for an object, beyond reasonableness, to the point of being blind to that object's weaknesses.

    And there are lots of fan boys here that rival those on on the iPhone sites in terms of blindness.
    To me the Palm fanboys are worse. At least with the Apple users, they love their products and don't really give a damn about anything else. With people here, it seems they are more obsessed with iPhone and Applee than with the Pre. They tried to justify every fault someone has with the Pre by saying well the iPhone didn't do it when it was released, Pre is a 1.0 product while iPhone is 3.0 and rest of all that crap.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sprint has a lot to do with it IMO. Cheaper plan, wider 3G coverage.
    Yep. I have exclusively owned Palm for over ten years. I have also been with Sprint for over ten years due to their cheap data plan and Palm devices as well.

    That said, I might own an iphone 3gs if they were on Sprint.

    BUT I do hate apple "proprietary" thinking even if I think they make an excellent product and they do.

    I will also add that I can't stand when people call the Pre a 1.0 device and then excuse it for its many faults. In my mind Palm has been doing this longer than most so I expect more from them. My Pre as a phone isn't as good as my 5 year old treo 600 as a phone. They hit a home run with the OS on the Pre but the hardware sucks and I believe the average Joe user will likely pick the i phone over the Pre because side by side the Pre looks and feels like a cheap Chinese toy compared to the solid iphone and older Palm smart phones as well. This is coming from a Palm fan but not a Palm Fan Boy.
  3. zacarias's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    To me the Palm fanboys are worse. At least with the Apple users, they love their products and don't really give a damn about anything else. With people here, it seems they are more obsessed with iPhone and Applee than with the Pre. They tried to justify every fault someone has with the Pre by saying well the iPhone didn't do it when it was released, Pre is a 1.0 product while iPhone is 3.0 and rest of all that crap.
    I sense a troll.. Please can we stick to the topic.
  4. ION-q's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Wiki definition (edited):
    Someone who has an intense liking and enthusiasm for a product. Fans of a particular thing or person constitute to its fanbase They often show their enthusiasm by starting a fan club, holding fan conventions, creating fanzines, writing fan mail, or promoting the object of their interest and attention.

    Simple question:
    Do you consider yourself a Palm Pre fanboy?
    This definition leaves out the irrational part of being a fanboi (correct spelling!): overlooking warts and giddily pimping the product no matter what.

    Therefore, I am not a fanboi.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Nah I'm more of a Clie fanboy. (TH55 still awesome)
    +923872389 Clie's ruled the world.



    In Soviet Russia, Fanboy = you!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    To me the Palm fanboys are worse. At least with the Apple users, they love their products and don't really give a damn about anything else. ...
    Except, of course. For the iPhone fanboys that keep posting on the Pre website...

    What type of phone did you say you own?
  7. #27  
    Hellll No! it's just a phone. i'm on here cause i keep checking hoping for some news that today is the day i can use my employee referral to buy a pre. And when i get it i'll probably won't read an article about cellphones unless its to answer some technical question about using the phone.
  8. #28  
    I don't know if I would call myself a fanboi, but I always point out a Pre commercial. I can't wait to get mine.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post

    I will also add that I can't stand when people call the Pre a 1.0 device and then excuse it for its many faults. In my mind Palm has been doing this longer than most so I expect more from them. My Pre as a phone isn't as good as my 5 year old treo 600 as a phone. They hit a home run with the OS on the Pre but the hardware sucks and I believe the average Joe user will likely pick the i phone over the Pre because side by side the Pre looks and feels like a cheap Chinese toy compared to the solid iphone and older Palm smart phones as well. This is coming from a Palm fan but not a Palm Fan Boy.
    Frankly, and I don't mean to be offensive or point a finger directly at you so please don't take it that way, but I have to wonder how many of you long time Palm loyalists are jaded when it comes to the Pre. I owned a number of Palm PDAs from way-back-when and a Treo 650 that I absolutely loved (and everyone made fun of since it was such a big, solid, brick of a thing), but IMO it doesn't hold a candle to using the Pre. It's like maybe some of you guys can't get over Palm deserting your old OS and devices and are taking it out on the Pre. Fortunately, that umbilical cord was involuntarily broken for me a few years back.

    As far as fanboy, I think the Pre is a terrific device that has made my life much easier in a number of ways as compared to the BB it replaced but, just like with my old Treo, it's only a phone. I would really just like to be able to come to a forum that's not chock full of threads started by people with questionable motives. I think the number of people who feel compelled to go to the trouble of visiting, signing up and posting just to let the world know the device is not for them is telling in a number of ways. And the guys and gals that call BS on them for doing so are the bad guys?? Gimme a break. I don't like or want the iPhone, but I've never felt the need to go over and "straighten-out" the people that do. If I did, they'd call me a d**k, and I'd deserve it. No matter how you spin it, that's just pitiful.

    Constructive criticism is great, but just bashing, regardless of which beloved platform you come from, is lame. And that's coming from a fair-weather fan.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Frankly, and I don't mean to be offensive or point a finger directly at you so please don't take it that way, but I have to wonder how many of you long time Palm loyalists are jaded when it comes to the Pre. I owned a number of Palm PDAs from way-back-when and a Treo 650 that I absolutely loved (and everyone made fun of since it was such a big, solid, brick of a thing), but IMO it doesn't hold a candle to using the Pre. It's like maybe some of you guys can't get over Palm deserting your old OS and devices and are taking it out on the Pre. Fortunately, that umbilical cord was involuntarily broken for me a few years back.

    <snip>

    Constructive criticism is great, but just bashing, regardless of which beloved platform you come from, is lame. And that's coming from a fair-weather fan.
    I can't speak for others, but for me you're completely wrong. I have no issue with Palm abandoning Garnet / P-OS. It's beyond long in the tooth, not stable enough, doesn't support wi-fi, and doesn't multi-task very well. WebOS has the potential to be far better.

    But as it stands, with the exception of multi-tasking (which is compromised by slow performance and apparent memory leaks) and wi-fi support, WebOS / Pre is, in many ways, inferior to Garnet / Treo. Hopefully, this is only a temporary situation, but for many of us who use our smartphones as business tools the Pre just doesn't cut it.

    The customization options are, charitably, poor. The PIM apps are barely adequate for my use. In fact, the calendar probably doesn't even rise to that level, and the tasks app is patheticly bad. The lack of sync capability for all apps is unacceptable for someone who spends most of the day with a computer as their primary tool, not their phone. The inability to back up all data and settings is unbelievable in this day and age. And it's got more than a few bugs and hardware quality issues to boot.

    Palm knows (or at least used to know) how to write brilliant PIM apps that were both capable and easy to use. With the Pre, for reasons we can only guess at, they abandoned that, and went to simple, basic versions of the PIM apps. I suspect it's because they're going for the consumer, rather than the business customer, and feel the consumer doesn't really care. Hopefully, 3rd party vendors will address that issue, but until that happens, and Palm fixes the bugs and fleshes out the missing parts of WebOS, the Pre just doesn't work for me.

    I suspect that former Treo users who are now Pre fans never used more than a tiny fraction of the Treo's capabilities, so the fact that the Pre only offers a tiny fraction of the Treo's capabilities doesn't matter. But those of us who use(d) our Treos as real business tools know what the Pre is missing.

    As far as bashing, yeah, there's some of that, but most of the criticism I read here (except from the iPhone faithful who are just looking to shore up their egos) is honest and pretty accurate. Just because you don't see the PIM apps as lacking doesn't mean those of us who feel that way are bashing the Pre. It just means our needs are different than yours. I'm not going to criticize you because you love the Pre, so don't criticize me because I point out it's weaknesses. Doing so just makes you sound like a fanboi.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    I sense a troll.. Please can we stick to the topic.
    Last time I checked the topic was about fanboys.
  12. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Except, of course. For the iPhone fanboys that keep posting on the Pre website...

    What type of phone did you say you own?
    And you know I own an iPhone because, it seems anyone who has a different opinion from the norm here is an iPhone fanboy.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    And you know I own an iPhone because, it seems anyone who has a different opinion from the norm here is an iPhone fanboy.
    "Know???" ... It was a question.
  14. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    "Know???" ... It was a question.
    Question my a$$, is that why you wrote iPhone fanboy up there.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I can't speak for others, but for me you're completely wrong. I have no issue with Palm abandoning Garnet / P-OS. It's beyond long in the tooth, not stable enough, doesn't support wi-fi, and doesn't multi-task very well. WebOS has the potential to be far better.

    But as it stands, with the exception of multi-tasking (which is compromised by slow performance and apparent memory leaks) and wi-fi support, WebOS / Pre is, in many ways, inferior to Garnet / Treo. Hopefully, this is only a temporary situation, but for many of us who use our smartphones as business tools the Pre just doesn't cut it.

    The customization options are, charitably, poor. The PIM apps are barely adequate for my use. In fact, the calendar probably doesn't even rise to that level, and the tasks app is patheticly bad. The lack of sync capability for all apps is unacceptable for someone who spends most of the day with a computer as their primary tool, not their phone. The inability to back up all data and settings is unbelievable in this day and age. And it's got more than a few bugs and hardware quality issues to boot.

    Palm knows (or at least used to know) how to write brilliant PIM apps that were both capable and easy to use. With the Pre, for reasons we can only guess at, they abandoned that, and went to simple, basic versions of the PIM apps. I suspect it's because they're going for the consumer, rather than the business customer, and feel the consumer doesn't really care. Hopefully, 3rd party vendors will address that issue, but until that happens, and Palm fixes the bugs and fleshes out the missing parts of WebOS, the Pre just doesn't work for me.

    I suspect that former Treo users who are now Pre fans never used more than a tiny fraction of the Treo's capabilities, so the fact that the Pre only offers a tiny fraction of the Treo's capabilities doesn't matter. But those of us who use(d) our Treos as real business tools know what the Pre is missing.

    As far as bashing, yeah, there's some of that, but most of the criticism I read here (except from the iPhone faithful who are just looking to shore up their egos) is honest and pretty accurate. Just because you don't see the PIM apps as lacking doesn't mean those of us who feel that way are bashing the Pre. It just means our needs are different than yours. I'm not going to criticize you because you love the Pre, so don't criticize me because I point out it's weaknesses. Doing so just makes you sound like a fanboi.
    I don't completely agree with your characterizations, but I see where you're coming from. I guess the difference is I assume (and could be wrong) that some of the detail being left out had more to do with time restictions than anything else and that most of those issues will be addressed over time. I think the EAS security fixes they're apparently working on for 1.1 is a good example. I guess we'll see how it goes.

    I'm really not a fanboy, I just despise trolling.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Question my a$$, is that why you wrote iPhone fanboy up there.
    You inferred what you chose to infer. Yes, I suspect you are not a Pre owner, and also suspect you either own, or wish to own, an iPhone. But, it is just my suspicion, as you've pointed out in the past, I don't know.

    But, you come on here and constantly put up posts that make it painfully obvious that you know little about the Pre. Your posts also seem to favor the iPhone.

    You also avoid the direct questions about the phones (as you did in this case)
    Do you own a Pre?
    Do you own an iPhone?
    Why do you come to this forum?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I don't completely agree with your characterizations, but I see where you're coming from. I guess the difference is I assume (and could be wrong) that some of the detail being left out had more to do with time restictions than anything else and that most of those issues will be addressed over time. I think the EAS security fixes they're apparently working on for 1.1 is a good example. I guess we'll see how it goes.

    I'm really not a fanboy, I just despise trolling.
    I'll also point out that meyerweb's generalization about Treo owners is too broad. I used the PIM functionality of the Treo heavily, and do miss much of it, and also hope the Pre comes up to speed on it.

    However, the PIM I preferred was not done by Palm, it was an addon. The PalmOS had a very good basic PIM, but even it was "lacking" enough that there were a slew of add-ons, and some of became staples among Palm users.

    I had Datebook from version 2 (it was up to 6 when I got my Pre). Also, DateMate was a favorite of mine. I do miss being able to look at a calendar and see by the icons what the various appointments are for, and I especially miss DateMate (puts in recurring events, like anniversaries and birthdays).

    However, there are two advantages for me. I can make it without those features, and I understand completely that we are in the Pre's infancy, and similar apps are likely to be showing up.

    I understand that some cannot do without the features they're used to. However, please don't presume that those of us that can, either weren't aware of or weren't using those features.

    There are some of us that know exactly what we're donig as early adopters.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I had Datebook from version 2 (it was up to 6 when I got my Pre). Also, DateMate was a favorite of mine. I do miss being able to look at a calendar and see by the icons what the various appointments are for, and I especially miss DateMate (puts in recurring events, like anniversaries and birthdays).
    Ok, so I'm not crazy after all (at least not completely). I used Datebook to fill in the gaps of the standard PIM on my Palm devices as well. But with the way guys talk about Palm's PIMS being so comprehensive in the past, I thought maybe I was misremembering that and have been wondering why I had ever bought Datebook in the first place.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 07/21/2009 at 10:58 AM.
  19. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You inferred what you chose to infer. Yes, I suspect you are not a Pre owner, and also suspect you either own, or wish to own, an iPhone. But, it is just my suspicion, as you've pointed out in the past, I don't know.

    But, you come on here and constantly put up posts that make it painfully obvious that you know little about the Pre. Your posts also seem to favor the iPhone.

    You also avoid the direct questions about the phones (as you did in this case)
    Do you own a Pre?
    Do you own an iPhone?
    Why do you come to this forum?
    Point out one incorrect information that I have given out on this forum. As for what phone I use it's none of your business.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Point out one incorrect information that I have given out on this forum. As for what phone I use it's none of your business.
    You haven't given much information at all, just a lot of opinion. And, I don't blame you for not answering about the phone. Hard for some folks to man-up when asked simple, yet revealing, questions.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions