Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I have seen several threads on insurance through Sprint in general, and the TEP for $7 a month, yet none that have talked about just the Equipment Replacement Program. The Equipment Replacement Program is only $4 a month, and will replace your Pre in the case of water damage, loss, or theft with a $100 deductible. What is nice about this is that it covers the major things that the warranty doesn't, and does so for a relatively small cost.

I looked at the other component of TEP, the Equipment Service & Repair program, which can also be had individually for $4, yet it does not cover anything that the manufacturer's warranty doesn't. The only real advantage to it seems that you can get service from a Sprint store, instead of having to send your phone in to Palm. Since my credit card automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty, I will have complete coverage for the life of the phone. I just wanted to share this so that other people could take advantage of it.

Check this link out for details of both plans:

http://www.nextel.com/en/services/se...services.shtml
    Last edited by roninj; 07/19/2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Updated with correct deductible.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I know from experience that with the Sprint program you will pay the deductible and could possibly end up with a reconditioned phone.
    Sprint repair centers now honor phone warranties, if you get a replacement, the warranty transfers but doesn't restart. Also the deduct through ERP (asurion) is $100 for pdas. If you get your phone replaced through either, it will be a refirb. Sprint replaces only the phone, asurion replaces the battery too but they usually send some piece of junk battery. Sprint replacements are backordered for several days.

*posted from my pre, very hard when you can't landscape zoom to the whole text field and have to scroll back n forth!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Actually, Sprint's Pre stock is not on backorder at the moment. Or rather, it may say that - but the phones ship next day. I recently used the self-service tool and got a phone 2 days letter (UPS overnight).
    Interesting, I wonder how much bettersprint service is. $36 additional is not bad. Sometimes I feel like that they always defer to making you get a replacement from asurion, if you have the option. Of course, that might be because how I treat my phones. I've lost my phone a few times, but I've had it replaced due to malfunction only once.

I never really tried to get service direct from palm, but it might be better than sprint.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    All I can say is that I have seen the people waiting for service at my local Sprint store, and they did not look happy. It probably took 45 minutes for anyone there to get an issue resolved, and nobody, employees or customer, looked like they enjoyed the process. I would much rather just mail my phone to Palm and be done with it, though I might just go through a Sprint Repair center. I am also going to look into other insurance options for the phone, and $4 seemed like a small price to pay while I do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieck View Post
    Actually, Sprint's Pre stock is not on backorder at the moment. Or rather, it may say that - but the phones ship next day. I recently used the self-service tool and got a phone 2 days letter (UPS overnight).

Very strange, I've had to exchange several Pres for refirbs and every time I do the order it says "backorder", and it takes about 5 business days to get the pre (normally the phones are over-nighted).

I'm not sure what self-service tool you used.. since replacements should be done only through a physical store to check for physical/liquid damage before exchanging, however I have heard of customer care doing exchanges over the phone, but thats pretty rare, normally they tell you to go to a store.

What tool did you use to get the phone replaced? I'm curious.