1.    #1  
    Anybody make the switch from Verizon to Sprint in the central NJ area? I live at the shore and work in Trenton, so I'm interested in how the service compares across central NJ.

Also, how do I port my number? If I go into a Sprint store, will they handle it for me, or do I need to call Verizon first?

Thanks for any help.
    Hello postlapsaria! I'm not from your area but live a 'verizon-centric' area (Santa Cruz, CA). I have not noticed the difference in coverage. I hear that sprint leases verizons towers and that I might be roaming.. This does not cost extra from sprint but may use up more battery life (is this true?). My number from verizon ported over without indecent.
    You can go to sprint.com and check the coverage in your area.
    Def. Do that b4 you switch.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Porting your number is as simple as giving Sprint your account ID for Verizon and telling them to give you a Pre :-) .
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    I made the switch and have gotten good coverage in NJ. You could also just do a temp number for the first 30 days to check it out. If its good you just port over your number or return phone.
    Monmouth County is great on Sprint. My spouse was on Verizon and Monmouth Beach was a big dead zone. Sprint was a good change and we're saving a lot! Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I made the switch and have gotten good coverage in NJ. You could also just do a temp number for the first 30 days to check it out. If its good you just port over your number or return phone.
    I don't know why I didn't try this.. My gf ended up wanting to switch from her choice of a HTC Touch Pro to the Pre and I wanted to get the $99 Best buy deal with instant rebate for her. The brick and mortar said that, since we didn't have an old sprint phone/account to temporarily hold her number (We were formerly with Verizon), that she would have to give up her number to return the phone and get the pre at a different store. Working with Sprint customer support they said they could temporarily hold the number while we bought a third line at best buy and then returned her phone and to the brick and mortar sprint store, canceled the new number, ported the old number to the new pre... A lot of work but we got we wanted.
    Don't port your number right away, try out the service for a day or two and see how you like it. If you do it right you should get a pretty good idea if its right for you. You can always port the number later.