Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is Palm's motive in making the Pre? This is not like Palm. Why bring out the "Pre" which has taken away so many applications and tasks that the previous Palm's could and can do. These now missing actions and capabilities of the new Palm Pre are things that made the company into a respected name for advancing mobile technology. Palm infiltrated?

Not to mention the hardware problems of Pre. Why Palm?
    What is Palm's game here...
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    What is Palm's motive in making the Pre? This is not like Palm. Why bring out the "Pre" which has taken away so many applications and tasks that the previous Palm's could and can do. These now missing actions and cababilities of the new Palm Pre are things that made the company into a respected name for advancing mobile technology. Palm infiltrated?

Not to mention the hardware problems of Pre. Why Palm?
    What is Palm game here...
    They wanted to change with the market. Most people believed it was the only way they could survive.
    Keep in mind that they had a next generation os that was scrapped 4 years ago. WebOS is long over due and certainly would not run effecitvely on their other hardware.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    palm wanted to stay in business. The palm software of old needed a serious makeover. I think it was change or die, basically.
    The missing tasks isn't that big a deal considering the potential of WebOS and the SDK. Developers will hopefully flock to it and fill the void. Like the others said, Palm's interface was dated and needed an update. They needed a more dynamic device that fits better with the new generation. Plus it's not like the Pre is all there is, the other more familiar devices are still available for those who prefer them.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Keep in mind that they had a next generation os that was scrapped 4 years ago. WebOS is long over due and certainly would not run effecitvely on their other hardware.
    What was the name of this device or spec's etc? Very interesting.

Note: the oldest last generation Treo's are only about (2) years Old. .
    The Foleo marked their last breath. They gambled and lost BIG TIME. Stock plummeted and most considered Palm a dinosaur in the iPhone/Blackberry world. The Foleo was a MASSIVE flop and the company nearly died as a result of it (and a domino effect of other "meh" products).

The Pre is their savior. The stakes have never been higher. It MUST succeed now and continue to succeed for many, many years.

If it fails, Palm goes under. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    The Foleo marked their last breath. They gambled and lost BIG TIME. Stock plummeted and most considered Palm a dinosaur in the iPhone/Blackberry world. The Foleo was a MASSIVE flop and the company nearly died as a result of it (and a domino effect of other "meh" products).

The Pre is their savior. The stakes have never been higher. It MUST succeed now and continue to succeed for many, many years.

If it fails, Palm goes under. Period.
    The Foleo didn't flop. It was never released. But Palm (and partners) spent huge amounts of money developing it. Obviously all wasted.
    What was the name of this device or spec's etc? Very interesting.

Note: the oldest last generation Treo's are only about (2) years Old. .
    And those Treos were running a OS that was 10 years old.
    There was also the Palm Cobalt OS which Palm developed and nobody (including Palm themselves) ever produced a commercial device for.
    Ironically, netbooks are now all the rage.
    Palm OS meeded a face lift and IMHO it got one.
    My device history. Casio A-10/Cassiopeia E-100/PPC6600/PPC6700/700wx/Moto Q/PPC6700/Mogul/Touch/Mogul/700wx/800w/Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/Palm Pre/Touch Pro
    But let's face it: Web OS is more than a facelift of Palm OS. It's definiitely a brand new OS from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    The Foleo didn't flop. It was never released. But Palm (and partners) spent huge amounts of money developing it. Obviously all wasted.
    Well, the Foleo "didn't flop" in the same sense that a motion picture intended for theatrical release, but instead sent direct-to-video, "didn't flop." The odds of it being a success were so bad, it wasn't even given a chance to fail by actually being put on the market.

--John
    But let's face it: Web OS is more than a facelift of Palm OS. It's definiitely a brand new OS from them.
    Ageed that's a very good point and I love the inprovements
    My device history. Casio A-10/Cassiopeia E-100/PPC6600/PPC6700/700wx/Moto Q/PPC6700/Mogul/Touch/Mogul/700wx/800w/Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/Palm Pre/Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Why does any respectable business release a new product? To make money. If a business releases a product without the aim of making money, then what is the point? Its strictly business.
    There was also the Palm Cobalt OS which Palm developed and nobody (including Palm themselves) ever produced a commercial device for.
    Not quite. Palm split off into two companies at one point: PalmOne, the hardware company, and PalmSource, the software company.

PalmSource made Cobalt, which was a total flop, and it was PalmOne who didn't want to use it on any of their devices.

Then Access bought PalmSource, and PalmOne bought back the Palm trademark.

So while Palm didn't end up using Cobalt, it's not really them who developed it.
    Useless whiny complaining pre post #3561427...
    What is Palm's motive in making the Pre? ..
    Are you seriously asking that question? Either you are just playing with us or you are very naive about business.

To simply things for you, lets just say that Palms motive for making the Pre was to stay in business and not have to go chapter 11 which is where they were heading.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    you do know there were quite a few posts before yours discussing the topic with quite a few different people chiming in without complaint before your useless post so some people actually wanted to discuss it. If you don't like it, why don't you shut your mouth and go on to the next thread. btw, are you related to hparsons?
    Do you open your mouth when you post on a forum? I don't. Who is hparsons? This thread is completely redundant to all the other whiny "omg the pre isn't flawless" threads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast