Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    I realize that the screws under the battery cover really have nothing to do with the slider, but a lot of users here said that it helped. Because of this, I decided to give it a try. My Pre had a pretty bad "oreo" effect.

After tightening the screws, I noticed that I had actually cracked the casing. In the dark, two cracks on the gesture area were clearly visible, with light bleeding through them from the screen. The actual surface was stil smooth, so the cracks were only internal. I also broke the palm sticker on the top right screw, not realizing that it was there. The device seemed to be slightly tighter after doing this, but this could have just been my imagination.

The next day, I brought my Pre to the Sprint store to get a replacement, citing unrelated problems. Thankfully, the tech never even took off the back cover or noticed the cracks. They gave me a replacement and even threw in a touchstone battery cover...very cool. There wasn't actually anything wrong with it, but I don't feel too bad about it, as I shouldn't have had to try to manually fix the hardware in the first place...there should have been better QC out of the factory.

This new was built on 6/24, but the entire thing feels so much tighter than my first one ever did. And it feels even better with the touchstone back.

So, just take my stupidity as a warning. Even though the screws seem loose, they're loose for a reason. And I haven't taken the device apart, but I'm pretty certain that the top screws have nothing to do with the sliding mechanism.
    How did you find out when it was made/built?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    What did you cite as your problems that netted you a new Pre?
    Let's see. Sprint records different numbers from these devices when they sell them to us. Sprint exchanges an owner damaged Pre that has those recorded numbers on it, and then returns it to Palm. Palm sees the voided warranty sticker, and just maybe calls Sprint to tell them this device was tampered with, and thus should not have been accepted. Does Sprint then add this charge to the bill of said owner? I'd be watching my bill carefully in the months ahead...
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    Not to say your wrong but, your assessment of the screw tighten method is not accurate. I noticed the light bleeding on every pre I checked and even the ones in the sprint store for demo. I never tightened the screws on the back of any pre but I did notice the light bleeding in all for corners of the pre. I checked this light bleeding pre on 15 palm pre, and out of those 15, 15 had light bleeding. Most people dont realize it until they are in complete darkness with the pre lit. The peoples pre that I looked at swore they had no light bleeding, well at least until I pointed it out. I am 90% sure every pre has the light bleeding.

My replacement phone, which I got july 16 two days ago, had less twist and felt tighter.

I would of tightened the screws if I actually had a screw that freaking small.
    If I have to take the device into a darkened room and inspect it to find a problem, it's not a problem for me.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    What did you cite as your problems that netted you a new Pre?
    Well, one was dead pixels, which was true...they didn't really bother me enough to get an exchange though. The other was that the keyboard would stop working sporadically, which happened to my wife on one occasion, so I figured it was probably a widespread issue. I also said that sometimes it doesn't accept a charge, even though I'm 99% sure that this is due to my lame best buy brand adapter. It's BS that you have to make anything up, really. They should just exchange units with bad sliders.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparda07 View Post
    How did you find out when it was made/built?
    ##786#

Edit: warrantydatecode is the build date
    Last edited by geodim; 07/23/2009 at 06:01 PM.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Let's see. Sprint records different numbers from these devices when they sell them to us. Sprint exchanges an owner damaged Pre that has those recorded numbers on it, and then returns it to Palm. Palm sees the voided warranty sticker, and just maybe calls Sprint to tell them this device was tampered with, and thus should not have been accepted. Does Sprint then add this charge to the bill of said owner? I'd be watching my bill carefully in the months ahead...
    I've worked in warranty repair before. This would never happen. At that point, it would have gone through too many hands.

Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    ##786#

ACTDATE is the build date
    Correction, warrantydatecode is the build date. Mine has a warranty date code of 6/25 and actdate of 6/30 which is the day I bought it.
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prefect View Post
    Correction, warrantydatecode is the build date. Mine has a warranty date code of 6/25 and actdate of 6/30 which is the day I bought it.
    Yeah i just noticed that myself the actdate is the day they gave me my defective Pre at the store.
    Wish i had kept my first day PRE. It didn't have this much wrong with it.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    This is true.

If the plastic casing doesn't crack, the screw will - the heads on this screw are suspiciously brittle, and I broke off the head of the screw just tightening it. Not all that tight either - and apparently I'm not the only one.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12