Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please help me understand something. If you can send anyone a text message (SMS), then why does everyone want IM clients on the Pre?
    IMs are free and people are on computers IMing
    its just a way to keep everyone more connected
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    IMs are free and people are on computers IMing
    its just a way to keep everyone more connected
    What he said. I don't personally use IM, but I see why they included it.
    I don't text message everyone that I IM with and vice versa.

I'm really missing yahoo IM...the web version just isn't cutting it.
    Last edited by GoTitans; 07/18/2009 at 09:39 PM.
    Because I don't plan on asking my Counter-Strike friend who lives in New York for his phone number to communicate.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

6.    #6  
    Is it safe to say IM simply allows you to communicate with people for whom you do not have phone numbers for?

I understand people use various IM clients. Is there an obvious "best" choice or should you just go with the one most of your friends are using?

If you are not currently using an IM client and don't know which one most of your friends are using, which one should you get?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Is it safe to say IM simply allows you to communicate with people for whom you do not have phone numbers for?

I understand people use various IM clients. Is there an obvious "best" choice or should you just go with the one most of your friends are using?

If you are not currently using an IM client and don't know which one most of your friends are using, which one should you get?
    all of them they are free

PS this is my 100th post
    It varies widely. I use Yahoo IM. I used to use AIM but nobody i know seems to use it anymore.

If you're unsure just create an account for all of them and then use a program like trillian to group all the IM clients into one. Just google Trillian..its easy to setup. Hope that helps.

Trillian won't work on the Pre of course...but only option on the Pre right now is AIM so that is a pretty easy choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    It varies widely. I use Yahoo IM. I used to use AIM but nobody i know seems to use it anymore.

If you're unsure just create an account for all of them and then use a program like trillian to group all the IM clients into one. Just google Trillian..its easy to setup. Hope that helps.

Trillian won't work on the Pre of course...but only option on the Pre right now is AIM so that is a pretty easy choice.
    Gtalk is also on the pre currently.

Ya you could use trillian it doesnt support many protocols. A free alternative and open source would be pidgin It has support for all the protocols that trillian supports plus myspace, gtalk and many more. Even facebook and xfire given you install the plug-ins.

I believe I read some where that the pre already has the purple library that pidgin uses.
    Well, for me it's about communicating with my kids. When they're home, they frequently have the phones off, not close to them, or the batteries are dead. But they're ALWAYS at their computers IM'ing, so I can easily talk to them.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  11.    #11  
    Good point! I always have my phone near me so I never even considered people who turn off their phones but are on the computer IMing. Even when my battery dies, I'll put it on the charger and turn it on. I am ALWAYS near my phone.

PIDGIN
    Of course you should go to whichever IM client you can get your friends to join
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    OP: Texting is *not* free. Not everyone has texting. I know I didn't before I got the Pre.
    Texting is not free for non-sprint members.

I'm is more convenient for those without qwerty keyboards.

Some people you know online/ or at work but don't have a relationship where you share cellphone numbers.

Etc.

P.s. I like meebo.com for free cross platform I'm client that works great from your browser. Haven't used a software solution since discovering it.
    The more ways you have to communicate the better. MSN would be useful though, that's very popular with all my friends.

PS: GoTitans - awesome avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus View Post
    Texting is not free for non-sprint members.

I'm is more convenient for those without qwerty keyboards.

Some people you know online/ or at work but don't have a relationship where you share cellphone numbers.

Etc.

P.s. I like meebo.com for free cross platform I'm client that works great from your browser. Haven't used a software solution since discovering it.
    About Meebo, looks like the iphone interface will work on the pre, very nice thanks

I would still like to have a native client so I could get notified on events though.
    I am holding off getting the Pre right now because I use WLM (MSN) for my IM and all my friends are on it. The Pre doesn't seem to have a good program for this.

It still doesn't seem very good with Hotmail either.

I emaild Beejive to see if they were going to make a Pre version. They said if they get enough requests they will. So everyone here send them a note about the Pre. www dot beejive dot com.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Hotmail is terrible on the pre. and i mean dreadful. I am moving to Gmail for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Hotmail is terrible on the pre. and i mean dreadful. I am moving to Gmail for everything.
    Now that is not what I wanted to hear. I use hotmail for everything. I hope they come out with better hotmail support.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Please help me understand something. If you can send anyone a text message (SMS), then why does everyone want IM clients on the Pre?
    The backbone of IM is "presence awareness" knowing someone's availability
    Its a step forward in communication which allows you to know if the person you are trying to communicate with is available (online and free) as against not available (in a meeting) or offline (asleep!)

Knowing someone's presence (and in some cases where they are what what they are doing) helps you communicate with them faster and in a more efficient manner.

IM is synchronous (instant) SMS is not (i.e. you send a message down the pipe and have no idea whether the person is even by their phone).

We use IM at work and it is invaluable in getting answers really quickly and conferencing lots of people in if we need to (just drag their names into the list).

Much easier than finding a conference number sending everyone an email with the numbers etc
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast