Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Today my Pre started doing something very weird. With no warning, it appears that the volume rocker is getting stuck turning it all the way down, and then it keeps turning it down, keeping the volume indicator on the screen, making the phone relatively useless.

Could this be a problem with any homebrew apps? OS? Or should I just nuke the phone and reload and see if that fixes it? Or, just take the phone back and exchange it? I really don't want to do the latter, as I just put on my Invisishield!
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Question is when did it start happening...did you load any new apps to your phone? If so, I would remove those apps and see if it fixes it. Also, have you tried rebooting the phone?
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Question is when did it start happening...did you load any new apps to your phone? If so, I would remove those apps and see if it fixes it. Also, have you tried rebooting the phone?
    Rebooting is the only way I can get it out of the stuck mode it's in. I'm going to nuke all the homebrews I installed and see if that's it. If not, then I guess it's time to visit the Sprint store tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    Rebooting is the only way I can get it out of the stuck mode it's in. I'm going to nuke all the homebrews I installed and see if that's it. If not, then I guess it's time to visit the Sprint store tomorrow.
    Well, doing a "Full Erase" did nothing. As soon as the phone came back up from the Palm Profile restore, the volume indicator was back stuck on the phone. Anyone think using WebOS Doctor would help by putting a complete new image on the phone? I'm not sure that the "Full Erase" really took it back to the factory image, as it came back with 1.0.4 installed. Unless the Palm Profile restore took care of that too?
    This seems to have happened to me today, only the volume is stuck turning it all the way up. This keeps the volume meter on the screen and makes moving through cards very much a pain.

ARRRR!
    I'm having the same problem. I got my Pre on launch day, and it worked without any problems until about 2 weeks ago. I have no home brew, have not altered the phone in any way. It happens intermittently, sometimes it will be fine for a day or two, then it comes back.

The worst part for me is not being able to adjust the volume during a call. The volume on the Pre is low enough as it is, and having it stuck all the way down makes it impossible to have a conversation. I've been hoping it was a software glitch that might be fixed with an update, but I guess I'm going to have to return it. Everything else about the phone I love, and I'm a little afraid to exchange it and get one that has even more problems.

My boyfriend got his on launch day as well, and he has had NO problems with his at all, apart from the common complaint about the ringers being hard to hear.
    Mine was doing that as well. Found out it was my snap on cover that was hitting the volume down button when I slid it open.
    I had this issue and discovered that it was my case pushing against the volume ctl (typically) when the slider was open. I had the case from cellbatt.
    Mine is definitely not caused by a case. No case on the phone, and I have actually watched the display screen light up and the volume turn itself down when it is sitting on my desk and I am not touching it.

Maybe it's haunted
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I got the same thing last night...tried removing the battery, resetting the phone, etc, and the volume still stayed on-screen. Then I charged the batt and when it was done the vol ind disappeared and reappeared for about an hour. Woke up this morn, it's gone. I have no homebrew apps, just a few mp3s and wallpapers I downloaded. No case, either- just PhantomSkinz...
    Same problem as above, in both varieties: volume bars stuck all the way up and inability to navigate, OR volume turns itself down as I sit and watch. Only owned phone for a week; no added apps, tunes, or images. Zagg skin placed 3d ago, but is nowhere near volume rocker.

Any info appreciated, although this may be headed for an exchange. Hopefully the only one, although the other threads suggest that returns are commonplace.

Help.
    mine was doing the same thing, turning itself all the way up while i was just sitting there watching it mine also continued to come back regardless of what i did to the phone, erase/etc. then suddenly it stopped, but now i cant get the volume to turn up, only down... anyone else get that? im gonna wait and see if maybe it has another "magic" pre moment and fixes itself. if not then im taking it to the sprint store. at least i know im not the only one having this problem..
    I've my Pre for about 2 months. Three days ago, out of nowhere, the weird volume problem started. Finally, after trying everything else, I used WebOS Doctor to wipe and reset the phone completely. No more problems, at least not yet. WebOS Doctor was surprisingly easy to use and the whole process took only about 20 minutes.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Yeah, after I reset my phone I haven't had any problems since. I thought that maybe it was some type of homebrew that was messing with it, and was a little gun-shy about putting homebrew on .... for a bit... and then I couldn't resist temptation anymore! I haven't had any problems, so I'm chalking it up to something funky.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    Yeah, after I reset my phone I haven't had any problems since. I thought that maybe it was some type of homebrew that was messing with it, and was a little gun-shy about putting homebrew on .... for a bit... and then I couldn't resist temptation anymore! I haven't had any problems, so I'm chalking it up to something funky.
    I'm having the same problem, with no case but lots of homebrew apps and patches installed. Soft-rebooting the phone and removing battery to hard reboot fixed the problem but temporarily - it came back in a few hours.

Any other ideas on how to fix?
    hmmm i'd had a volume issue recently too, for some reason, my ringer volume keeps going down on it's own. I've noticed this the last couple of days. I'll set it high then later on in the day it will be back to low. i guess i'm going to keep an eye on it i'm not sure if it's related.
    I tried removing all my patches and as with other users on this thread that seemed to be unrelated to the problem..

Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    hmmm i'd had a volume issue recently too, for some reason, my ringer volume keeps going down on it's own. I've noticed this the last couple of days. I'll set it high then later on in the day it will be back to low. i guess i'm going to keep an eye on it i'm not sure if it's related.
    I've now actually watched my volume meter go from high to low, bar by bar, while the phone is just sitting there.. so I think it must be a hardware problem.. That seems to be supported by a thread I found on another site (not enough posts to allow me to include the link, but it is the second link when googling for "palm pre volume meter stuck"

I tried the fix mentioned there -- remove the back cover and run some paper between the volume button contacts -- and it seems to work so far.. though I'll need a day or more of use to confirm is is really gone..
    same problem resurfaced for me this morning.. might not have gotten the contacts all the way clean, will try again.. frustrating because the problem seems to be intermittent and random..
    I recently had this problem, I went to my local radioshack and purchased a can of control/contact cleaner, catalog # 6404315 and that seemed to do the trick. I shut my pre down and removed battery and after you take the back cover off the volume control is more acessible to spray a little of the cleaner and I waited about 10 mins befor rebooting. Have not had a problem since!! Dont spray much it comes out fast. Hope this helps....
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    seems they might have needed an answer approx 3 months ago
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast