Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    June 6th and perfection. Droped it, threw it in a fit of rage, wacked the headphones sending the pre flying. And still not a scratch and working perfect.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    My launch day Pre had a good build quality, but the center button stopped working so they gave me a horribly loose one with a date in late June. Returned it and bought a 7/2 unit at Best Buy that is incredibly solid with no issues. Just one guy's experience. It seems like the first batch of the ones in the white boxes had a higher "oreo rate".
    Quote Originally Posted by motox502 View Post
    You have to dial it in the dialer, not on the home screen.
    Ah ha! thx!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by js2302 View Post
    June 6th and perfection. Droped it, threw it in a fit of rage, wacked the headphones sending the pre flying. And still not a scratch and working perfect.
    Sounds like someone needs an anger management app! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dabulls View Post

Noticeable differences:
    1. The slider was ROCK SOLID this time. From the close position, it does not wobble unless I put some amount of force on it. My previous phone was noticeably wobbly out of the box and I simply shrugged it off thinking thats what sliders do.

3. The keyboard keys are different. Less gummy or stronger. I dunno if it's cuz it's not broken in yet but I can tell the difference. I only had my previous phone for 2 weeks. There's no way it could feel that much different.

QFT

I too just replaced my Pre yesterday, and although I am having light leak issues, and some dead pixels, the keyboard does feel different, just like you said. I thought it was because it wasnt broken in, but I didnt notice it on my other either. Less gummy and more feed back imo. The slider on my new one is also great, sounds better, and it doesnt wobble

Also came with a sleeping back that said palm on it =D. This pouch seems to be of better quality and it smells better !

07/07/09 Pre
    Last edited by glamisfanatic; 07/18/2009 at 07:48 PM.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Day 29 since my purchase and I just got a warranty exchange with a build date of 07/11/2009. It wasn't easy to get this done. It was actually my second exchange. The first was after about a week when the plastic under the usb port broke off. This time I used the "oreo" looseness as an excuse and the store did not want to replace. I was ready to give them everything back if they wouldn't do it. Then they said yes, but couldn't because the serial number on my receipt didn't match the phone (because of the first exchange). They told me I had to go to the service center down the street.

Got there and the manager said they didn't have anything to exchange it with. I said, ok. Refund everything. She went to the back and came out with a new Palm pre

Much tighter than my previous phone, and no little scratches on the screen like the one I just brought back (forgot to mention that). And I think from previous experience I know better how to take care of it. My Vaja case should be here this week.

Very happy that I was able to pull this off
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I've been wondering why my exchanged phone had a lot less to no wobble vs the previous phone. Here are my OCD observations.

In my previous phone, the mirror section was fairly close to being even with black plastic border. My newer phone there is an obvious indentation of the mirror. So because of this there is more plastic railing sticking out adding alot more stability when the phone is closed. Even the sharper edges of the keyboard area, the left and right sides seem thicker, also adding more stability.

I'm also feeling a different type of plastic on this phone. My previous one seemed thinner and a lot more slippery when ur finger oil got on it.

Anyone else notice this?
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    My launch date purchase has a build date of5/21/2009 and the phone is perfect. The mirror on the back is recessed quite a bit from the black edge. I only have the slightest of wobble, and feel if it was any tighter it would really be hard to slide open and closed. I'm pretty curious about the wobble that has been reported, and warned my daughter to be wary of it when she bought hers last week. But to be honest, I can't imagine why someone would purposely put any pressure on the phone at all to twist it that fashion, unless your kind of pressing up on the lower corner of the front face and a bit diagonally across the phone to open it. I always put my thumb smack in the middle of the screen to just slide it straight up or down to open or close it.

Someone had posted that their wobble was bothersome when swiping from left to right, but the touch screen is so sensitive it seemed to me they were just pressing too hard when swiping. The amount of pressure mine require is akin to swiping it with a feather.
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    QFT

I too just replaced my Pre yesterday, and although I am having light leak issues, and some dead pixels, the keyboard does feel different, just like you said. I thought it was because it wasnt broken in, but I didnt notice it on my other either. Less gummy and more feed back imo. The slider on my new one is also great, sounds better, and it doesnt wobble

Also came with a sleeping back that said palm on it =D. This pouch seems to be of better quality and it smells better !

07/07/09 Pre
    Oh... dude.
    just got back from the sprint store...i bought my first Pre exactly 30 days ago and it had the oreo and heating issues. Went in and complained and they gave me a new Pre with build date of 7/9 but the quality is exactly the same as my first one - same twisting of the slider and the keypad and front button feel the same. The employee said they just received these phones in the last week. So, apparently not all the phones are being built the same way now - multiple production facilities? anyway, she said i can't exchange again because it's only 30 days within the first purchase. Should i call sprint and complain?

note: I did drop the first one on cement one time and scratched it a bit near the power button, so at least I now have a scratch-free phone
    http://www.davegk.com
    I have one with a 6/17/09 Build dat on it and the Quality is great! No wabble to the slider and for some reason it seems to get great battery life compared to my launch day Pre. As for the Home button it is a black silver and the key board is not gummy at all.

I'm glad all the OP's have recieved well built Pre's, but I think that most of the Pre's out there have had a good build quality, but the only ones you here from on these forums are usually the ones with bad/poorly built Pre's.

I'm sure some changes where made after a few runns but its still the same design.
    Quote Originally Posted by davegk View Post
    just got back from the sprint store...i bought my first Pre exactly 30 days ago and it had the oreo and heating issues. Went in and complained and they gave me a new Pre with build date of 7/9 but the quality is exactly the same as my first one - same twisting of the slider and the keypad and front button feel the same. The employee said they just received these phones in the last week. So, apparently not all the phones are being built the same way now - multiple production facilities? anyway, she said i can't exchange again because it's only 30 days within the first purchase. Should i call sprint and complain?

note: I did drop the first one on cement one time and scratched it a bit near the power button, so at least I now have a scratch-free phone
    Same deal for me as well, got it a few weeks ago (7/11) and noticed my phone seemed to have a similar problems as has been talked about everywhere (loose slider, light leakedge, etc) so I went back the next day and went through 2 or 3 new out of the box phones at the store and they seemed about the same if not worse than the one I had bought the day before. Needless to say I have the same phone.

Course I have a warranty date of 7/1 so...who knows.
    I got mine about two weeks after introduction; no problems to report. I think people are imagining what they want to. I mean, if you got a better phone after an exchange, great! But to say they're being made any better is a bit of a stretch. I mean, maybe, but I'd have to see some independent and authoritative confirmation.

It's like people thinking 1.0.4 improved their battery life. Not likely, considering Palm's still working on that, and .4 didn't even address battery improvements.

BTW, don't mean to imply the OP suggested any such thing, but I think some may be reading too much into what he wrote.
    Last edited by PookiePrancer; 07/19/2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I got a replacement from Asurion and mine is a 7/15 build. Overall, it seems about the same as my old one. Though the screen has a massive heat spot along the bottom. The entire bottom of the phone pretty much glows. Much, much worse than my old phone, which only had the issue in the corner and along the top when charging.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

8/ 8/ 2009
    Oreo effect is getting worse day by day.

Anyone have an idea what the
    LIFECALLS=?
    LIFETMR=?

I have had the phone since 9/ 1/ 2009
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ^^^ the August built phones in general are much crappier than the July. And the July was much better than the June.

Here in Canada - I have yet to see a retail sold pre with a date in July as of yet. Funny enough though - all the DEMO models in the Bell stores up here are July built....

I'm waiting for a replacement to come in the mail from Bell... if its another August built I'll be sending that one in as well....
    08/14/2009 here. Signed a contract with Bell this past Tuesday and haven't noticed anything wrong with the build quality so far. The slider feels solid with no wobble, the gap between the top and bottom half of the phone is minimal, and there's the slightest bit of oreo effect which isn't too major. If the oreo effect gets worse I'll see about getting a replacement in the future, but for now I'm quite happy!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Lau View Post
    08/14/2009 here. Signed a contract with Bell this past Tuesday and haven't noticed anything wrong with the build quality so far. The slider feels solid with no wobble, the gap between the top and bottom half of the phone is minimal, and there's the slightest bit of oreo effect which isn't too major. If the oreo effect gets worse I'll see about getting a replacement in the future, but for now I'm quite happy!
    I too have an 8/14 (as did member TheLastOne) both of hour phones had at least a dead pixel, over 2mm of oreo, and gaps between the halves. There is apprently a GODD batch from 8/14 and a BAD batch. Mine is so wobbly, that when I tap the top 1/3rd of the screen when the phone is closed, I can hear the two halves click against each other. And using it in landscape mode causes a ton of wobbling because of how you need to hold the phone.

I have my fingers crossed that the next one is better.....
    HA!

Hilarious... What did we get a bunch of iPhone users or something? I mean come on, I don't remember the last time I heard so much complaining about a perfectly fine product. Ok, if there are screen problems, dead pixels etc, bring the thing back, but so called oreo effect, give me a break, what do you want the phone to be so tight it rubs and sticks? There has to be 'some play' in order to ensure functionality.

Lets find better stuff to complain about, and try to be more positive and supportive of the pre instead of bankrupting the phone over wack reasons, returning it, only to get a newer version of the same phone, which many here admit it works exactly the same.

<welcomes the raging responses>
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Holy crap after checking mine has a warrantydatecode of 05/23/09 and lifecalls 116858 how is it possible its that high
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast