1.    #1  
    Hey guys, after using my buddy's new MacBook Pro it got me thinking. Are there some additional multitouch functions that the Pre could utilize? Perhaps some powerful function initiated by a swipe across the screen of 3 fingers. Hold the Pre vertically and swipe your thumb, index, and middle finger across. It feels pretty nautral and could be used for...something. Any ideas?
    maybe to switch apps, go forward bon web page, or maybe could be used to turn off the screen
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    As long as multi-touch is available, the sky is the limit as far as programming for it goes. Wouldn't be surprised if additional gestures come up for the Pre in the future.
    ...great thought on multi-touch. What about a 2-finger swipe to close/terminate an app without having to minimize it first???
    Add too many gestures and reviewers will say it's not "intuitive" enough, which of course is code for "Apple didn't do it, so it must be a bad idea." And, I'm actually serious about this and not just baiting our iPhone visitors. That's one of the things that have driven me crazy about reviews so far, that somehow the Pre isn't "intuitive" and thus is inferior to the "intuitive" (i.e., feature-limited) iPhone simply because the Pre introduces some new UI elements.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Three fingers may be too complicated though, with such a small screen.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    gave it a try and its pretty hard since all my fingers are different in size. With two fingers it seems much easier.
  8.    #8  
    I really dont see how its hard. Are you using your thumb index and middle finger? Its the easiest thing ever.
    Actually, "Apple did do it."

They have 3 finger gestures... Accessability option for people with disabilities.
    For video...

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

So it's ok for palm to do it now if it wants

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Add too many gestures and reviewers will say it's not "intuitive" enough, which of course is code for "Apple didn't do it, so it must be a bad idea." And, I'm actually serious about this and not just baiting our iPhone visitors. That's one of the things that have driven me crazy about reviews so far, that somehow the Pre isn't "intuitive" and thus is inferior to the "intuitive" (i.e., feature-limited) iPhone simply because the Pre introduces some new UI elements.
  10.    #10  
    Exactly, this whole idea stems off of the gestures on the macbooks. They have some lovely 4-finger gestures.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    Exactly, this whole idea stems off of the gestures on the macbooks. They have some lovely 4-finger gestures.
    I know of a really good one finger gesture I'd like to give Apple and AT&T. Sorry, it had to be said.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Here's a gesture. A fist to bring up a broken screen -
    people r so ungrateful!!! the phone is not gonna come with no thumb 3 or4 finger gestures..thats dumb!!! and if u dont lik the pre return it!!! u buy phone as is knowing the features and specifications instead of trying to turn something that you didnt create and complain cause it doesnt do this or that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    ...great thought on multi-touch. What about a 2-finger swipe to close/terminate an app without having to minimize it first???
    Now this is good thinking. I would definitely enjoy this!!!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneman29 View Post
    people r so ungrateful!!! the phone is not gonna come with no thumb 3 or4 finger gestures..thats dumb!!! and if u dont lik the pre return it!!! u buy phone as is knowing the features and specifications instead of trying to turn something that you didnt create and complain cause it doesnt do this or that!!
    Alright, we'll try to think up new, easily implementable ideas while you go play on Windows 95 SP 1.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Actually, "Apple did do it."

They have 3 finger gestures... Accessability option for people with disabilities.
    For video...

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

So it's ok for palm to do it now if it wants
    Actually, Apple didn't do it. Apple bought a company (Fingerworks) that did it and then used their invention/IP to "revolutionize" multi-touch.

I have an original Fingerworks mouse and it's awesome. Probably wouldn't be of use for more finger gestures on a small phone screen, but it definitely does more than zoom -- cut, paste, open, close, page forward/back, etc.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Or better yet, hold one finger down on the gesture zone (similar to cut/copy/paste shortcuts) so the middle button light comes on....then an up swipe would discard the card (terminate the program).

This way you don't accidentally discard a card by getting your "second finger" too close to the screen or whatever. Holding down a finger on the gesture zone is pretty deliberate and the light gives feedback that you're doing it indicating that a different set of gestures are available. It's still 2-finger multitouch, just one stationary, one moving.

Another might be: finger on the gesture zone + sideways swipe L or R = switching between maximized cards (similar to the Advanced Gestures feature, which (imho) doesn't work very well yet - probably just me).
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I know of a really good one finger gesture I'd like to give Apple and AT&T. Sorry, it had to be said.
    First thought that popped into my head as well
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneman29 View Post
    Are you serious? Did you even read any of this thread? People are making suggestions to improve the Pre and take it to new heights. Why? Not because they are ungrateful or unhappy, but because they are so excited by what it can already do and see such great potential.

PLEASE take your meds as prescribed!