1.    #1  
    I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.

Got the Pre a few days after launch through my Exec Services rep. Mine, like those of other Pre owners, had some issues: Multiple power-off-on-by-itself cycles, the keyboard going dead until I’d reboot. I let my rep know that. As it got closer to the 30-day mark, I contacted my rep about exchanging the bad unit for a good one. To my surprise, he informed me he’d only be able to give me a refurb. I know other Pre owners have voiced in the forums their opposition to accepting a refurb, and I felt the same way. Took my Pre to the local Service Center and was told that they (a) didn’t have any Pres to swap out for mine in the first place, (b) if they did, they would be refurbs, and (c) word had come down that the techs had to be able to duplicate the issues cited for the return right there and then or no swap.

So… I wiped the device of data and packed it off for return to Sprint.

And my ES rep tells me, no, we cannot start over and order another Pre once the return is credited. Pre is no longer a device that ES has access to, my rep tells me.

Is this confusing to anyone else?

Am I missing something?

I reactivated my Lotus once the Pre was in the post. I enjoy having again some of the features missing on Pre that, ironically, the modest Lotus does offer. But… Lotus feels sooo yesterday compared to Pre. I miss the cards. I miss the multi-tasking. I miss the amazing screen. I miss feeling the cool, shiny stone in my hand.

Of course, my rep pointed out, I could pay full retail for another Pre or open another line of service if I really wanted one. (By early June, I wasn’t yet eligible to buy Pre at the $299.99 price, but my rep made it happen.)

I’m frustrated. And a bit angry. But mostly... bummed.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    dude. that sucks.
  3.    #3  
    It sucks. It blows.

If it hadn't been such an insane week for me at the office, on top of operating on impulse power due to the flu, I would have made more noise. I should have made some noise.

There are other owners who have replaced their Pres, what, three, four, five times???!!! I just wanted ONE. That worked. Without issues.
    I would have taken the Refurb.. At this point I would think they could be reworked real easy and better then most new coming out.
    geese tht must stink! Though a couple questions did you pay the $300? how much did they refund you? and were you going to get any deals on the bills through work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    I would have taken the Refurb.. At this point I would think they could be reworked real easy and better then most new coming out.
    I have to agree --- I woulda taken the refurb and sat in the store for like 35-45 minutes and played with it to make sure it was working and that there weren't any obvious problems. I know though that when you are paying literally around 2000 dollars for a device and a contract that you expect it to be new and perfect, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with turning down a refurb, so don't beat yourself up about it. From the sound of it, you already have a contract and a phone. You should, if you are up for it, call the Sprint Customer Service and tell them that the device credit you got for extending your contract was returned, and that you would like it noted on your account that you did NOT get your device upgrade credit, since you returned your new device, and that you would like to use the credit to pick up a Pre at a different store.

Just a thought, but it really depends on how much your time is worth, and if you want to deal with explaining it to the phone people that you extended your contract, did NOT get the device credit, and you STILL WANT the device credit to be accessible for your use in the near future, or that you simply don't want to extend your contract because you returned the device (at which point, you can walk into another Sprint store and try your luck again).

Best wishes and good luck. Sorry your first experience was so bad, but remember, it doesn't have to end like this~
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by marsknight View Post
    I have to agree --- I woulda taken the refurb and sat in the store for like 35-45 minutes and played with it to make sure it was working and that there weren't any obvious problems. I know though that when you are paying literally around 2000 dollars for a device and a contract that you expect it to be new and perfect, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with turning down a refurb, so don't beat yourself up about it. From the sound of it, you already have a contract and a phone. You should, if you are up for it, call the Sprint Customer Service and tell them that the device credit you got for extending your contract was returned, and that you would like it noted on your account that you did NOT get your device upgrade credit, since you returned your new device, and that you would like to use the credit to pick up a Pre at a different store.

Just a thought, but it really depends on how much your time is worth, and if you want to deal with explaining it to the phone people that you extended your contract, did NOT get the device credit, and you STILL WANT the device credit to be accessible for your use in the near future, or that you simply don't want to extend your contract because you returned the device (at which point, you can walk into another Sprint store and try your luck again).

Best wishes and good luck. Sorry your first experience was so bad, but remember, it doesn't have to end like this~
    Under other circumstances, I would have stomped my feet and demanded fairness. It was one of those weeks when I just hadn't the strength to add one more "negotiation" to my plate. As the song says, Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. I was definitely the bug.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    The Sprint rep you spoke with was misinformed There is a 30 day return policy. This means that you can do a full return or exchange during this period. You should have asked the rep what was stopping you from just doing a complete return and then repurchasing a brand new device. He would have just given you a new phone, as that would have made more work for him.

Outside of the return policy, they will give you a refurb if there are manufacturer defects. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to deny an exchange inside of the return policy.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Quote Originally Posted by krusenkevin View Post
    Under other circumstances, I would have stomped my feet and demanded fairness. It was one of those weeks when I just hadn't the strength to add one more "negotiation" to my plate. As the song says, Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. I was definitely the bug.
    I am having a similar issue but not business related. I was on my 2?4 pre and it started doing the oreo thing so I returned it, they give me the run around and after a lil argueing they finally replace it. The new 1 they open I notice right away some dead pixels and a minor case of the oreo and they tell me that is how they come and to try a treo pro if I don't like it. Are you kidding me!?!? My girl has 1 with 0 problems. Drives me nuts man. So I am wondering.. Maybe its better to get a refurb since it has veen looked over. The new ones seem to still have issues. Maybe refurb is better what do you guys think??
    I am exchanging mine for a refurb, direct warranty from palm (sending me one) next week.

Honestly, I don't care if its a refurb or not, as long as it works and I'm happy with it.

The way I see it is, if they send me one that isn't working right, I will call and get another until I get a clean working one.

But then again, I'm not an anal nit-pick so if it works, I'm okay with.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    It's posts like this that makes me think I would be better off going to a Tour, then again on crackberry forums they are talking about trackball, battery, and battery door issues (oreo). Cripes, at least my Instinct is solid.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ˇɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I am exchanging mine for a refurb, direct warranty from palm (sending me one) next week.

Honestly, I don't care if its a refurb or not, as long as it works and I'm happy with it.

The way I see it is, if they send me one that isn't working right, I will call and get another until I get a clean working one.

But then again, I'm not an anal nit-pick so if it works, I'm okay with.
    How do you do the exchange through palm directly?? I want to do that instead of deal with sprint reps