Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Since I can't post link..Here is lil summary

Amarok is a popular music player for KDE and Linux, but it also runs on Windows and Mac OS X. It already syncs with portable music players, including the iPod

The KDE project has now offered Palm the option to work with the Amarok team to get the Windows and Mac versions of Amarok "polished" and ship it as the official synchronising client.

"This would yield many benefits for both parties. As far as Palm is concerned, by relying on iTunes for moving content to the Pre, they have made it clear that they do not consider the synchronisation client a differentiating feature of the device," Nielsen wrote.

As far as its developers are concerned, by using a free and open source application like Amarok instead, Palm would get a synchronising client that runs on Windows, Mac, and, unlike iTunes, also on Linux and other Unix-like platforms.

Amarok developer Bart Cerneels has also written an open letter to Palm, including some technical details of what the company can do to ease file synchronisation woes.
    Being a Linux user myself, this is great news for me. If the windows and Mac versions are half as good as the Linux version, then this should really help out Palm.
    It gets my vote simply because "Amarok" is my favorite Mike Oldfield album.

Joe
    Now this is something positive that would stick it back on Apple. A free tri os client that can be as polished as Amarok on linux would be very good.

It should be very interesting.
    amarok is the best music player i ever used, much better than any other options currently on linux, mac or windows.

I hope palm take initiative.
    Palm has made it clear that they have no plans whatsoever to provide official desktop sync software of any kind. They're leaving it up to third parties to develop it, and as far as I can tell they've been very supportive of these efforts. I'd expect Palm will be happy to work with this group, but I highly doubt that they will make this or any other into in an official solution.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Wow that's a cluttered UI.

Not sure this is the best program for Palm to choose...even assuming they intend to adopt an "official" media sync program.
    Last edited by dbett; 07/17/2009 at 10:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbett View Post
    Wow that's a cluttered UI.

Not sure this is the best program for Palm to choose...even assuming they intend to adopt an "official" media sync program.
    The old version of Amarok is still my favorite media player app ever. I don't like Amarok 2...

Theres a lot more to it than just that, and it was so user friendly... It also syncs with iPods, so its a nice solution for Linux users...
    Looks decent. Personally, I don't use music organizers - never have. I find them cumbersome and bloated. I just want something that can play music. The open source "coolplayer" rocks my world - its simple and thin.

Now if Palm can just get the stupid picture viewer to not look in my music folders and show all of the album art in 300 separate folders, I would be incredibly happy and thankful.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The old version of Amarok is still my favorite media player app ever. I don't like Amarok 2...
    That version looks MUCH better. Version 2 is way too cluttered.
    Quote Originally Posted by subhash_c View Post
    Since I can't post link..Here is lil summary

Amarok is a popular music player for KDE and Linux, but it also runs on Windows and Mac OS X. It already syncs with portable music players, including the iPod

The KDE project has now offered Palm the option to work with the Amarok team to get the Windows and Mac versions of Amarok "polished" and ship it as the official synchronising client.

"This would yield many benefits for both parties. As far as Palm is concerned, by relying on iTunes for moving content to the Pre, they have made it clear that they do not consider the synchronisation client a differentiating feature of the device," Nielsen wrote.

As far as its developers are concerned, by using a free and open source application like Amarok instead, Palm would get a synchronising client that runs on Windows, Mac, and, unlike iTunes, also on Linux and other Unix-like platforms.

Amarok developer Bart Cerneels has also written an open letter to Palm, including some technical details of what the company can do to ease file synchronisation woes.
    Amarok Rocks I use it with Mandriva KDE 4
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    amarok is the best music player i ever used, much better than any other options currently on linux, mac or windows.

I hope palm take initiative.
    Amarok is great for a Media Player/ manager Exaile also is a good alternate Media manager/player

For stand alone players on Linux platform I like Wimamp, VLC, Audacity, & XMMS,

Amarok has the most capabilities to manage tags/Playlist and album art, It is an excellent option for Pre.
    It recognizes the Pre as a USB device and therefore will sync right with it,
    For my Creative Zen I had to tweak the setting for it to recognize my Zen but the Pre syncs right up!
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    Looks decent. Personally, I don't use music organizers - never have. I find them cumbersome and bloated. I just want something that can play music. The open source "coolplayer" rocks my world - its simple and thin.

Now if Palm can just get the stupid picture viewer to not look in my music folders and show all of the album art in 300 separate folders, I would be incredibly happy and thankful.
    The older version of Amarok was definitely not bloated. Some might argue cluttered, but I felt the UI made more sense than any music manager/player I've used yet. I never liked Amarok 2, so I always install the old version when I set up linux.
    It's not an olive branch because they are not at war. They are making a proposal.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    IMHO: this will never happen.