Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 202
  1.    #1  
    Palm WebOS Mojo SDK Sadly Impotent: Badass Games Are Impossible - Palm pre - Gizmodo

    iPhone developer Craig Hunter confirms some of our fears about Palm's entirely web-language based Mojo SDK for WebOS—it's weak sauce, with pitiful access to the Pre's powerful hardware.

    Palm actually shoots itself in the foot two ways with a weak SDK. First, it limits developers who choose to make apps for the platform. Second, it pushes away devs who might be interested, like Hunter, who points out the very real opportunity Palm has to lure programmers away from the massively overcrowded App Store with the promise of a virgin ecosystem.
    Wow...

    Between this and the amazingly bad luck I've been having with my current Pre lately, not sure I want to keep it.
  2. #2  
    I suspect that Palm wants to limit how apps tax the SDK in order to not have apps that hog the CPU and other system resources. I'm hoping that over time they open things up more. If they don't, they risk open source developers creating a competing framework that does allow access to such resources. That would be Bad-A-s-s! :-)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  3. #3  
    Dang. I was really hoping for some good news. I've been postponing my impending iphone purchase in the hopes that the flood of new apps would start, or that I would hear some sort of really good news about the SDK release... This is most certainly not what I wanted to hear. Dang.
  4. #4  
    I think eventually they'll encourage native apps. I think they just want to control how the platform grows in the beginning.
  5. #5  
    This guy is bitter because he was "pushed away by Palm", of course he's going to badmouth them. Read the article, it's about gaming on the Pre. webOS was never intended for graphic intensive gaming, even though the Pre hardware can support it. This isn't a surprise.

    And Gizmodo is and always has been pro-iPhone, they post all the negative Pre stuff they can get.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
    This guy is bitter because he was "pushed away by Palm", of course he's going to badmouth them. Read the article, it's about gaming on the Pre. webOS was never intended for graphic intensive gaming, even though the Pre hardware can support it. This isn't a surprise.

    And Gizmodo is and always has been pro-iPhone, they post all the negative Pre stuff they can get.
    I agree about gizmodo being a iphone fan boy, unfortunately i still love their articles and some of the spins the put on gadgets, but I'll stick w/ engadget for more of an unbias opinion.

    It doesn't make sense that Palm would pack this hardware into this device and then limit it. Don't you think they would want to save money any way possible? I believe they are going to get some core apps first, like a foundation, then open it up for some real fun.

    If palm doesn't do this, I can bet that someone will "Jailbreak" the pre.
  7. #7  
    I hope it doesnt come to that. I hope palm will allow apps to take full advantage of its hardware. I am on the last day of my 30 day period and im really on the fence about keeping it or getting a blackberry tour
  8. #8  
    People have already proven that WebOS can handle games, with the emulators released and what not. So noooow Giz wants to point fingers when iPhone is late in a lot of things.
  9. #9  
    There are always two sides. I am also an iPhone developer who LOVES development on the Pre, and their SDK is wonderful for prototyping and developing apps quickly and easily. With the excpetion of games, the Pre SDK can do everything the iPhone's can, and more. The ability to run in the background is HUGE for any app if they choose to use it intelligently, something the iPhone could never do.

    The only genre of app you wont be seeing on the Pre too much is 3D games. And to me, that is fine, considering most of the fun games i enjoyed on my iPhone were 2D anyway.

    So yeah, the Pre SDK is a double-edged sword. What it does, it does amazingly well. Has many features the iPhone SDK should have, and allows developers to create their ideas fast, which is a very good component to have. You will see many more USEFUL apps for the Pre, and less fluff. If you plan on using your Pre as a handheld gaming device, return it. If you plan on using it to enhance your life through productivity apps, you'll LOVE it.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  10. #10  
    We have known for a while that the general sdk was gimped for deep system access. Those expecting otherwise are only setting themselves for disapointment.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    There are always two sides. I am also an iPhone developer who LOVES development on the Pre, and their SDK is wonderful for prototyping and developing apps quickly and easily. With the excpetion of games, the Pre SDK can do everything the iPhone's can, and more. The ability to run in the background is HUGE for any app if they choose to use it intelligently, something the iPhone could never do.

    The only genre of app you wont be seeing on the Pre too much is 3D games. And to me, that is fine, considering most of the fun games i enjoyed on my iPhone were 2D anyway.

    So yeah, the Pre SDK is a double-edged sword. What it does, it does amazingly well. Has many features the iPhone SDK should have, and allows developers to create their ideas fast, which is a very good component to have. You will see many more USEFUL apps for the Pre, and less fluff. If you plan on using your Pre as a handheld gaming device, return it. If you plan on using it to enhance your life through productivity apps, you'll LOVE it.
    Agreed. The iPhone OS is a glorified app launcher. WebOS is a productivity environment. I'd take the latter over the former any day.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12.    #12  
    All biases aside, they are giving out facts. Facts about the limitations that Palm have imposed on all current or potential developers. And this not only affects gaming.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtom2444 View Post
    All biases aside, they are giving out facts. Facts about the limitations that Palm have imposed on all current or potential developers. And this not only affects gaming.
    Facts everyone has known for months. It's just more iPhone-fanboy propaganda to make themselves feel better about their crappy iPhones.

    Explain how not having access to OpenGL in the SDK affects anything besides gaming?
  14. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #14  
    Umm guys...
    iPhone developer Craig Hunter confirms
    I stopped reading there.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Umm guys...

    I stopped reading there.
  16. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #16  
    I wouldn't be surprised if iPhone developer Craig Hunter never even looked at the Mojo SDK. I bet it can do more than he and Gizmodo give it credit for.

    I bet they already had this article written before the SDK was released. It was about how HTML + CSS + JavaScript aren't enough to write a 3D game on the Pre. Add a quote from an iPhone developer and you have a story!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtom2444 View Post
    All biases aside, they are giving out facts. Facts about the limitations that Palm have imposed on all current or potential developers. And this not only affects gaming.
    Sorry, that's not true. It would have been true had you left out the "potential developers" part. The fact is that Palm has said for quite some time that the initial SDK would be what it is. They've also said they will cooperate with select developers for deeper access. The article is just another grasp at trying to convince folks how bad the Pre is.
  18. #18  
    I thought this was already well known?

    I knew that the Pre will not be getting many of the 3-D intensive games found on the iPhone, but it should have no trouble getting the 2d ones.
  19. #19  
    This Craig developer wants to develop games on the Pre. For anyone who's been casually following the Pre and SDK developments, it's been known from the start that at the moment this is not feasible. But it's a phone, not a gaming console.

    So I don't quite understand why he jumps in and is hugely disappointed all of a sudden. It's just not there yet. And he makes the same asinine complaint about the supposed similarity with Apple's early webapps idea. Those were completely different from Mojo, they were foreign to the device, had zero support from the OS and no access to the device.

    He wants to develop games, but he doesn't want to develop for gaming consoles. Rather, he wants to go for the low hanging fruit and sell his games on a phone with an overcrowded app store. I think he needs to ask himself some questions.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  20. #20  
    Yes, there are games and there are games.
    I'm sure the Pre can handle Bejeweled, but Palm does not want to give you the access required for Doom.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions