Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I understand your thought (sort of), but still don't agree.

- Not providing access via SDK is not the same thing as "blocking" it.
    you're still not getting it. palm is not only not providing it via SDK- they ARE ACTIVELY BLOCKING it via the sdk. they actively check what app is doing the calling, and explicitly DO NOT return contacts created by another app. this is more work on their part, and hence, active blocking. and they've STATED that they're blocking it for privacy reasons.

i don't know what else to tell you about this. i suppose until you start using the sdk yourself, it may be hard to help you understand what's blocked vs what's not available.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I suspect that Palm wants to limit how apps tax the SDK in order to not have apps that hog the CPU and other system resources. I'm hoping that over time they open things up more. If they don't, they risk open source developers creating a competing framework that does allow access to such resources. That would be Bad-A-s-s! :-)
    I would agree completely.
    Talk about taxing the CPU to create a hot oven.
    Currently I use it to iron my clothes.

Folks here in the forum are fighting over the 3D games!!! phew !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    i don't know what else to tell you about this. i suppose until you start using the sdk yourself, it may be hard to help you understand what's blocked vs what's not available.
    You're right, I'm not using the SDK. I suppose I could offer to send you a homebrew app that would show that Palm is not blocking the ability, but that's not worth the trouble.

As was stated by another user, this is semantics. There's a barn a block from my house in an open field. There's no gate between me and the barn. Nor is there a city built road. The city is not blocking my access to the barn by not providing a road. I can drive there without a road, or I can walk (I know the owner of the barn, I could probably even borrow one of his horses).

Feel free to retort, but at this point, I think I will agree to disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You sir , are generalizing , I use iTunes daily , and i use to to Sync with Pre.

But I refuse to upgrade it is another story.
    Well then you're one of those 1%. Of course I don't have actual numbers, but just from experience, from the people I know who went out a bought a Pre, none of them gave a crap about syncing it with iTunes. They thought the Pre was a cool phone. If iTunes sync was that important to them, they would've bought an iPhone. It really wouldn't be that difficult to buy one. Want to know how I got my music on my Pre? I plugged it into my Macbook, it mounted as an external drive, and I dropped my album folders into the music folder. I bet I could transfer music faster that way than you could with iTunes

My point was that it likely wasn't a very important feature to the vast majority of Pre users. I suppose if I was really interested, I could start a poll, but meh.
    You're right, I'm not using the SDK. I suppose I could offer to send you a homebrew app that would show that Palm is not blocking the ability, but that's not worth the trouble.

As was stated by another user, this is semantics. There's a barn a block from my house in an open field. There's no gate between me and the barn. Nor is there a city built road. The city is not blocking my access to the barn by not providing a road. I can drive there without a road, or I can walk (I know the owner of the barn, I could probably even borrow one of his horses).

Feel free to retort, but at this point, I think I will agree to disagree.
    *sigh* except, not using the sdk, you're in a position of ignorance when you disagree. it's like there IS a road. with a gate across it. but you're choosing to walk around the gate, across the ditch, through the grass. sure, you can do it. but is the road not blocked?

and yes, i'd like to see a homebrew app that gets all contacts. you can send it to poundsand at atwistedweb dot com
    *sigh* except, not using the sdk, you're in a position of ignorance when you disagree. it's like there IS a road. with a gate across it. but you're choosing to walk around the gate, across the ditch, through the grass. sure, you can do it. but is the road not blocked?
    SDK is the road. All hardware can be custom programmed. With the right information, you could write assembly code (you know, they used to that back when "real" computers had 64k of memory). Not providing an API through and SDK is not the same thing as blocking access. Like I said previously, if Palm had encrypted the database, that would be different. They have not, though the tools to do so are readily available.

and yes, i'd like to see a homebrew app that gets all contacts. you can send it to poundsand at atwistedweb dot com
    As I said, it's not worth the trouble to me. I'd have to brush off way too many long dormant db skills. Most of my (limited) db skills were deliberately forgotten. What a tangled mess database programming is. However, if you want one bad enough that you're willing to pay for it, that might be a different story.

I think we'd both be better off to let the matter ride. We do seem to agree that eventually, it will be done though. Probably by someone more interested in actually doing it than simply talking about it.
    As I said, it's not worth the trouble to me. I'd have to brush off way too many long dormant db skills. Most of my (limited) db skills were deliberately forgotten. What a tangled mess database programming is. However, if you want one bad enough that you're willing to pay for it, that might be a different story.
    just send an app that shows you getting the database then. i'm fine w/ sql, and can send any db queries i want myself.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Pretty sure 99% of the people who bought a Pre met the announcement of syncing with iTunes with a disinterested shrug.

The only reason Palm even bothered to announce it was for the press coverage. I personally think they didn't even need it, the Pre was hyped enough as it was, anyone who bought one was going to buy it regardless of its iTunes compatibility.
    They used it as a feature to sell their phone, or are you suggesting that Palm hacked itunes to get press, I wouldn't put it past them. They are pretty desperate. They wanted Apple to look like the bad guys when they eventually closed the loop, while they look innocent but some of us aren't buying it.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am not sure why PALM did hack the iTunes thing.
    They should have talked APPLE for an iTunes ntegration deal with Pre.

This would have helped legitimate syncing of the songs on iTunes.

A charge of .99 cents would have made APPLE agree to the iTunes syncing.

Besides , APPLE can make lot of money if they let Nokia SAMSUNG and RIMM phones to sync with iTunes.

That's about 200 millions right down the toilet , damn,
    I wish Steve was at the wheel.
    Palm should have done what the other guys do, develop an app to sync with itunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Apple stop innovating, they only started selling the iphone 2 years ago and in that space they have introduced 2 different models and 2 different iphone operating systems in that space in 2 years, so much for not innovating. Meanwhile what has Palm done, the only reason they find that they are in the position they are is they've been putting out crap for so long, now that is a company that wasn't innovating. No wonder they had to go in from the ground up and start all over. Apple was also in this position before. If they weren't innovating and staying on top with the iphone, they will find themselves in such a position again.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Why are you here? Seriously. Looking at your posts (which is easy to do by clicking on your username), all you do is defend Apple and talk about the iPhone. Do you really have nothing better to do than troll Palm forums and talk about Apple. If the people in this forum want to live in a fantasy world where the Pre is a nice device, what's it to you? If all you want to hear is wonderful stuff about Apple, go to an Apple forum. Wouldn't that make sense?
    Lame.
    No actually I don't have anything better to do.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 07/20/2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Yeah what?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    +1
    +1
    +1
    What are you guys 10? We are trying to have a discussion here, take it to PM if you got a problem.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I suspect that Palm wants to limit how apps tax the SDK in order to not have apps that hog the CPU and other system resources. I'm hoping that over time they open things up more. If they don't, they risk open source developers creating a competing framework that does allow access to such resources. That would be Bad-A-s-s! :-)
    I agree
    -- Sent from my Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude View Post
    I agree

Meanwhile, the GPU (ie, graphics chip) is sitting there idling uselessly most of the time. That does not make sense. One benefit of OpenGL is that it offloads graphics rendering to the GPU, reducing load on the CPU. If they allowed access to OpenGL, it could actually reduce load on the CPU and improve overall resource availability.

Right now all rendering is done in software, which is inefficient and hammers the CPU. There is nothing thrifty or conservative about that.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Palm should have done what the other guys do, develop an app to sync with itunes.
    Didn't they do that and apple shot it down ?

Does apple has patent on ID3 tags ?
    It's funny how one person claims to be able to pull up contacts using a homebrew app, but when the other person wants to see it, he says he can't, and only with a "donation". yeah...
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    It's funny how one person claims to be able to pull up contacts using a homebrew app, but when the other person wants to see it, he says he can't, and only with a "donation". yeah...
    Actually, either you nned to improve your reading skills, or improve your honesty level. No such claim was made.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast