Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Apple doesn't give a damn about the Palm Pre. .....

ummm- then why bother spending resources to specifically update iTunes to kill Pre's access?

i dont think they are exactly quaking in their boots. It might just be a personal thing now that the former apple people are at palm- that's probably as likely as anything.

But clearly apple knows Palm's WebOs is out there and isn't going to miss an opportunity to make things less easy for them.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    A few thoughts (just my opinions so take them for what they are)-

1- Palm just posted positions looking for game developers- so give them time they will get there. (and as pointed out above if the games get better so can the rest of the apps.)

2- The whole platform is somewhat incomplete. It’s a work in progress. Just like apple didn’t release version 3 on day one neither did palm. In fact Palm is/was in much more dire straights to hurry up and get something out the door then apple was when they launched. Basically to stay in business Palm needed to get the Pre out there no matter what. They couldn’t wait another year to tidy up their sdk and include all the exchange security features, and add flash, and on and on and on.

I was lucky to have the opportunity to speak to someone of significance the other day at a major developer that makes enterprise software on several mobile platforms. He said they were disappointed at the incompleteness of the webos sdk early on but that palm was really making great strides all the time (mentioned the regular OS updates) and the vision Palm's folks shared with the developer was really great. But it was sort of an unsaid understanding that they had to get the thing out the door when they did or the party was over and that’s why they are still putting things together.

3- To those who think entertainment trumps business use. Maybe it does for the end users (I’m not sure of that but maybe ) but the carriers MUCH prefer the business users. Just like airlines and scores of other businesses prefer business customers. Business’s spend more money for the same basic stuff. If you are a carrier do you want 5 line family share plans where the 2-5 lines get you all of 10 bucks each- or you you want 5 business lines where lines 2-5 each spend 50-100 of their own? Right now in the US the carriers are the customers- not the consumer. Without carrier’s deciding to pick up the phone then it doesn’t really get sold. With the pre- does Sprint want one consumer to buy a single phone with the everything plan because it has games? Or do they want to make sure that their enterprise customers will buy scores or hundreds of pre’s on the everything plan because it securely connects to exchange?

I don’t have a pre yet. I’ll wait till it gets on to Verizon- for a variety of reasons. But I’m very excited about the webos future. My dream is a decent spec’d EOS candybar on Verizon come Jan 15.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    ummm- then why bother spending resources to specifically update iTunes to kill Pre's access?

i dont think they are exactly quaking in their boots. It might just be a personal thing now that the former apple people are at palm- that's probably as likely as anything.

But clearly apple knows Palm's WebOs is out there and isn't going to miss an opportunity to make things less easy for them.
    Palm was expoliting a security hole in iTunes, Apple waited until the Pre was released, then took a month to fix the hole. How in the world people equate this to being scared of Palm baffles me.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    this is not a resource issue, and what's a 'detriment' is obviously going to differ based on your perspective. there are ways to get *a* contact, by pushing a contact scene, which then returns one specific resource for example, and you can get contacts that *your* application has created. limiting what you can get actually takes *more* resources from palm. this specific decision was based on security and privacy concerns that they apparently didn't know exactly how they wanted to handle....
    I'm not familiar exactly- but I'd agree that privacy is a BIG issue. Look what happens whenever any company updates it's privacy policy- people freak.

So Palm needs to figure out how to make things so that, for instance, your company's exchange server doesn't download your Google calendar to their server and your boss looks at it and see's the personal day on your work calendar has 3 interviews scheduled on your Google calendar. Or downloads your google contacts and see's that you have 5 headhunters in your list.

They just need to figure out a plan and implement it- and as above they are flying by the seat of their pants at the moment so that they could get the device out before they went out of business. I'm sure too that they will figure out a system of permissions to make it happen.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Palm was expoliting a security hole in iTunes, Apple waited until the Pre was released, then took a month to fix the hole. How in the world people equate this to being scared of Palm baffles me.
    security hole- Ok...

anyway

now I see why the people above say you aren't worth the time to respond to. Where exactly did i say "Scared"? in fact i said they were NOT quaking in their boots.

Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    security hole- Ok...

anyway

now I see why the people above say you aren't worth the time to respond to. Where exactly did i say "Scared"? in fact i said they were NOT quaking in their boots.

Yes security hole which is why it was closed. If it was a legitimate way why haven't others done it before, why didn't Palm do it before they released the Pre. A company like Palm resorting to hacks to sell phones.

By the way I don't give a damN if you don't respond it ain't by force.
    No wonder why people on this site talk about the Iphone more than Pre and they yet people call Apple users fanboys, lol.
    The reason why people around here talk about the iphone is because people like you have to bring up the iphone in every thread they participate in. Just look at your 45 posts and you can see that in every post you either mention the iphone or slam the Pre. Why are you even here?

It may come as a shock to some of the trolls that many of us long time Treo users could care less about the iphone. If I wanted an iphone I would have bought one a long time ago. Quite honestly its not even in my top 5 favorite phones. I really tire of the fact that every thread around here has to go off topic and talk about the iphone. I mean really,,, what does the iphone have to do with the WebOS SDK?

Sorry for the rant.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The reason why people around here talk about the iphone is because people like you have to bring up the iphone in every thread they participate in. Just look at your 45 posts and you can see that in every post you either mention the iphone or slam the Pre. Why are you even here?

It may come as a shock to some of the trolls that many of us long time Treo users could care less about the iphone. If I wanted an iphone I would have bought one a long time ago. Quite honestly its not even in my top 5 favorite phones. I really tire of the fact that every thread around here has to go off topic and talk about the iphone. I mean really,,, what does the iphone have to do with the WebOS SDK?

Sorry for the rant.
    Go and look at any of my posts and see when I have had mention of the iPhone u less it was a response to the usual misinformation and Apple hate that goes on in this forum. Get over your damn iPhone obsession. Apple doesn't give a damn about Palm or the Pre. Stop talking about the iPhone and move on with your Pres and please stop calling everybody and Apple fanboy who doesn't sing the Pre gospel.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    - palm blocked it.
    - it won't be widely used, even if high demand, if it doesn't use the official api methods, as it won't be accepted into the app store.
    - they're working on the api.

got it now?
    I understand your thought (sort of), but still don't agree.

- Not providing access via SDK is not the same thing as "blocking" it. I've been in the IT business a long time, and if lack of an SDK constituted "blocking" access, there are a lot of applications we'd have never seen. If Palm had done something such as encrypting the database (for example), I'd agree with you. As it stands, I do not.

- That one I can agree with

- Still not quite sure if you're saying it will be in high demand after the API is available. I think it will be, but that's just personal opinion. I'm also not sure that the WebOS is going to have the ability to modify that database. It'll be interesting to see if they make that part of the WebOS SDK, or require a deeper access for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Ofcourse most people here that complain the Pre isn't a gaming device would be very happy if Palm changed its mind on their SDK.
    And you based that assessment on ... ?
    Apple doesn't give a damn about the Pre
    You don't give a damn about who responds to you
    You don't have a Pre
    There are lots of iPhone sites

Why are you here again? Aren't there some games or something you could be playing on the iPhone?

Just wondering... No need to respond, I don't really give a ... well, you know...
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Apple doesn't give a damn about the Pre
    You don't give a damn about who responds to you
    You don't have a Pre
    There are lots of iPhone sites

Why are you here again? Aren't there some games or something you could be playing on the iPhone?

Just wondering... No need to respond, I don't really give a ... well, you know...
    Last time I checked singing the Palm gospel wasn't a prerequisite for joining this forum.
    Last time I checked singing the Palm gospel wasn't a prerequisite for joining this forum.
    Which, of course, doesn't answer the question. No need to sing the Palm gospel, or even own a Pre. But what are you doing here??

I suspect there's a deep seated insecurity about your phone purchase, and you have a pathological need to self-validate, but that is just my opinion. To be fair though, I did ask first...
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Which, of course, doesn't answer the question. No need to sing the Palm gospel, or even own a Pre. But what are you doing here??

I suspect there's a deep seated insecurity about your phone purchase, and you have a pathological need to self-validate, but that is just my opinion. To be fair though, I did ask first...
    How do you know I don't have a Pre or that I have an iPhone, because not everybody is jumping at every crap Palm spews, you have to insult people, nonsense.
    Yes security hole which is why it was closed. If it was a legitimate way why haven't others done it before, why didn't Palm do it before they released the Pre. A company like Palm resorting to hacks to sell phones.
    Pretty sure 99% of the people who bought a Pre met the announcement of syncing with iTunes with a disinterested shrug.

The only reason Palm even bothered to announce it was for the press coverage. I personally think they didn't even need it, the Pre was hyped enough as it was, anyone who bought one was going to buy it regardless of its iTunes compatibility.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's only transparent if you're looking. Apple has the remarkable gift of getting people to look the other way. It's what lets them get away with taking so many incredibly ridiculous positions, such as highlighting cut and paste--in 2009--as a cool "new" smartphone feature.
    Stop it ,
    I am still laughing about the new feature , "Cut and Run" errr its "Cut and Paste".

Honestly , APPLE deserves the credit for creating "New Features".
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    What may be crap to you may be a jewel to someone else. It's like saying when you go to the grocery store there are many things that may not interst you but for someone else it catches their attention. Nobody goes to a grocery store and randomly starts shopping for things. They usually know what they want before getting into the store. There are many sites that can help you narrow down what app you are looking for with many great review sites. Who thr heck randomly goes into the app store and starts looking for random apps. The iPhone haters use the argument that the app store is filled with crap because there are so many apps, but it also has more good apps than any platform and the prices are also cheaper. Even some of the free apps for the iPhone are better than comparable paid apps on other platforms.
    Yup agree completely ,

Boy , hate those dollar stores , 99 cents everything.

APPLE store is like a dollar store , too many things for sale.
    What is crap to you is jewel to someone.

I've got to go to other stores to find what jewels are available in the dollar store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracostian View Post
    I admit I haven't read through the whole thread (mea culpa, mea culpa), but for those of you saying you can't get a Contact through WebOS proper, you're incorrect. Is it as simple as implementing an x-mojo button? No. But it's not the end of the world to do. I haven't had a chance to jump onto the developer Portal since Mojo SDK has been put public, but I'm pretty sure there were a few threads in the Early Access program about this. I heard a rumor Palm wasn't going to have those forums part of the open program as we all used our real names, but if it's there, you should be able to find the information relatively easily.
    you can get A contact by pushing a contacts scene and selecting one- you can NOT get contacts that your app did not create. i.e. to get contacts you didn't create, it's one-at-a-time proposition, user intervention required. that's why there won't be 3rd party contact managers until this is fixed.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

I am not sure why PALM did hack the iTunes thing.
    They should have talked APPLE for an iTunes ntegration deal with Pre.

This would have helped legitimate syncing of the songs on iTunes.

A charge of .99 cents would have made APPLE agree to the iTunes syncing.

Besides , APPLE can make lot of money if they let Nokia SAMSUNG and RIMM phones to sync with iTunes.

That's about 200 millions right down the toilet , damn,
    I wish Steve was at the wheel.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Pretty sure 99% of the people who bought a Pre met the announcement of syncing with iTunes with a disinterested shrug.

The only reason Palm even bothered to announce it was for the press coverage. I personally think they didn't even need it, the Pre was hyped enough as it was, anyone who bought one was going to buy it regardless of its iTunes compatibility.

You sir , are generalizing , I use iTunes daily , and i use to to Sync with Pre.

But I refuse to upgrade it is another story.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast