Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Yes it was. You should have a general idea of what apps you are looking for through reearch. This is how things are done in real life with other aspects of shopping.
    Yes, you are correct. But sometimes it is not how it works. Like I said, you may not realize you need it until you see it. A lot of people shop around by looking around and seeing what entices them. That's how marketing works - you offer a product or service to the consumers that you think they may need or want it. Keep in mind, I am talking about the general public here. Business users may not necessarily apply.

Edit: What as147 said.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    It's called W i n d o w s h o p p i n g
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    It's called W i n d o w s h o p p i n g
    why would I hop through windows to buy stuff?

or were you referring to windows mobile on that slide, cause they don't have an app store, yet.

man you are a real clown
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    3d game in javascript : nihilogic.dk/labs/wolf/ :P
    Looks like Palm will be getting a gaming framework in the future:
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-job-l...t-future-webos
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Wots all this crap about 3D in games anyway. Doesn't true 3D mean true depth (so where are my 3D glasses)!!

They just didn't bother. I don't blame them but its so transparent
    It's only transparent if you're looking. Apple has the remarkable gift of getting people to look the other way. It's what lets them get away with taking so many incredibly ridiculous positions, such as highlighting cut and paste--in 2009--as a cool "new" smartphone feature.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Well looks like they will attack games at some point.

Hey people I'm a IPod Touch owner and I must say this games on a phone era is just another trend. Just a bragging showcast, because I'm a gamer. I have every system that ever came out in my lifetime (even some before my lifetime) and I have 106 apps on my Touch. Almost all games and I must say they get little to no use. Its fun for when you just start getting games, then it turns into downloading games to just download them. The best games are 2D, since the 3D ones will be choppy and have many bugs.

I noticed the most useful apps are the ones like ESPN Showcase, Myspace Mobile, Facebook, Pandora, Fandago, Twitter, Apps for Flight Times and tracking, Movie catalog apps, web show streaming apps, Netflix ect. Things of that nature, witch all seem to be web based. Yes the games sale but everyone I know with a IPhone or IPod Touch does not play them.

Also who ever said people buy phones for entertainment use is out of his/her mind. Yes there are people like that but more people buy them for productivity use. Hence why BB been on top for soooo long. We all know how boring that device is. Someone else said the Pre isn't doing anything great. I beg to differ, the Pre seems to really tie everything up with its OS. You really feel connected to every app you have running. Pre is doing ALOT great and has only been out for weeks. I can't wait to see what the Pre becomes in months.

Remember how week the IPhone was when it first came out, not to mention it still has many basic feature issues that should be there (1990's features).

So I find the games to become pointless but it is important to support them. Palm would support games soon, just be patient. This device is really an amazing device, and thats one of the reasons why people want to find bad things to say about it so much.
    Last edited by MOE-GUNZ; 07/19/2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Forgot a letter lol
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    [edit] Hang on a sec I just noticed the number they quoted for Palm! Surely Palm have one or two more apps than that !!!!! More Apple lies!!
    I think the last estimate for "Palm" phones was about 40,000. If you install the Classic app, you can have access to all of these.

Anyway, how many Apps are they counting that are duplicate fart/noise soundboards and other garbage? Probably like half that total, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    I think the last estimate for "Palm" phones was about 40,000. If you install the Classic app, you can have access to all of these.

Anyway, how many Apps are they counting that are duplicate fart/noise soundboards and other garbage? Probably like half that total, lol.
    I can not stress how annoying it is, fishing through all these pointless apps to find something useful. One of the most annoying things ever. There is apps made to watch a firecracker blow up and show crappy explosions. There is also apps that just show a lighter A PLAN OLD LIGHTER, turn on and show a cheesy flame .

Some of the most pointless things ever made for mankind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOE-GUNZ View Post
    I can not stress how annoying it is, fishing through all these pointless apps to find something useful. One of the most annoying things ever. There is apps made to watch a firecracker blow up and show crappy explosions. There is also apps that just show a lighter A PLAN OLD LIGHTER, turn on and show a cheesy flame .

Some of the most pointless things ever made for mankind.
    Yeah, but that beer app along with the cracklin fireplace one goes soo well.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Palm hasn't "limited" anything. Again, the device has been out six weeks.
    actually they have. for example. you can't get a listing of all contacts from your application, so 3rd party contact managers are out.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    actually they have. for example. you can't get a listing of all contacts from your application, so 3rd party contact managers are out.
    Is the same true for the other PIM apps, meaning no 3rd party calendar, tasks or notes? Wouldn't be a surprise as the Pre is definitely targeted at the iPhone customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    Is the same true for the other PIM apps, meaning no 3rd party calendar, tasks or notes? Wouldn't be a surprise as the Pre is definitely targeted at the iPhone customer.
    true for calendar.

they do make the caveat 'at this time,' so hopefully it'll change.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    I think most would agree that there is a difference between "limited" and "limited reesources". No one believes Palm would do something to the detriment of their service purposefully. It just comes down to priorities and resources.

Think of the PRE and Web OS as a program of work with many projects underneath, it's a work in progress and will get there.

However always understand that the target constantly moves and there will never be such a thing as a perfect device for the majority of the user base.

Note that this comes from somone who is considering buying the iPhone 3Gs (even though I REALLY want the Palm) because Apple have provided some of the PIM features I need (add attendees to calendar meeting etc) and Palm doesn't have this.

I am sat here hoping they get the PIM sorted soon.

So can anyone confirm that it will be able to handle 2d games?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post
    So can anyone confirm that it will be able to handle 2d games?
    Well, not if those games need to use OpenGL (or the accelerometer).

The 2D/3D distinction is not really a factor at all -- in fact, most of the iPhone games using OpenGL are 2D games. The requirement for OpenGL is tied to getting fast enough graphics frame rates to make everything look smooth on screen. It's entirely possible that a heavy duty 2D game may be more graphics intensive than a 3D one. 2D games tend to use texture images as "sprites", and it can indeed be demanding of the graphics hardware.

Games that have slower paced graphics (2D or 3D) which can be handled by software rendering, and use some other form of input (keyboard or touchscreen) will work fine on the Pre. Obviously, that limits things quite a bit. Tilt control would have been nice in many cases.

The only positive thing is that the Pre hardware supports OpenGL, so if Palm ever decides to 1) create an OpenGL driver, and 2) provide OpenGL hooks to software developers, the Pre will be able to run more advanced games (note: I have no idea if this is even technically feasible with the current webOS SDK -- it might require an all new C-based SDK). They are a ways off from that however. For instance, Apple at least had OpenGL capabilities in iPhone OS 1.0 and was using it for their own apps, even if it took a year for them to make it open to 3rd party developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    They were comparing apps available in app stores. How many app stores does Palm have and how many apps were available in it during the time of this event.
    Sorry, that's not what the slide says. It says "Applications available", and "Palm", not "Applications available in App store" and "Palm Pre"

The slide was meant to say something, and it did. Anyone tough, that tries to say Apple wasn't "lambasting Palm" is delusional or lying, or both.
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/19/2009 at 08:31 PM.
    the average person buying the phone has no clue what the ipod developer guy is trying to get at. It's not going t keep them from buying a phone any more the the utterly ridiculous lack of apps already is.