Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    False.

Number one complaint of the APple App store is the fact that its too hard to find gems out of all the crap in the app store.
    What may be crap to you may be a jewel to someone else. It's like saying when you go to the grocery store there are many things that may not interst you but for someone else it catches their attention. Nobody goes to a grocery store and randomly starts shopping for things. They usually know what they want before getting into the store. There are many sites that can help you narrow down what app you are looking for with many great review sites. Who thr heck randomly goes into the app store and starts looking for random apps. The iPhone haters use the argument that the app store is filled with crap because there are so many apps, but it also has more good apps than any platform and the prices are also cheaper. Even some of the free apps for the iPhone are better than comparable paid apps on other platforms.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    There are always two sides. I am also an iPhone developer who LOVES development on the Pre, and their SDK is wonderful for prototyping and developing apps quickly and easily. With the excpetion of games, the Pre SDK can do everything the iPhone's can, and more. The ability to run in the background is HUGE for any app if they choose to use it intelligently, something the iPhone could never do.

The only genre of app you wont be seeing on the Pre too much is 3D games. And to me, that is fine, considering most of the fun games i enjoyed on my iPhone were 2D anyway.

So yeah, the Pre SDK is a double-edged sword. What it does, it does amazingly well. Has many features the iPhone SDK should have, and allows developers to create their ideas fast, which is a very good component to have. You will see many more USEFUL apps for the Pre, and less fluff. If you plan on using your Pre as a handheld gaming device, return it. If you plan on using it to enhance your life through productivity apps, you'll LOVE it.
    Kev, you nailed it !
    Don't believe the article because they are biased. Wait for a few others to post a more balanced article about the SDK. There are going to be enough "decent" games on the PRE to keep you satisfied. The article is being picky. Look at Kev's statement

What it does, it does amazingly well. Has many features the iPhone SDK should have, and allows developers to create their ideas fast, which is a very good component to have. You will see many more USEFUL apps for the Pre, and less fluff.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I think at WWDC they pulled a chart to show apps in different platforms and showed the Pre. But I don't recall them 'lambasting' them saying "Hey, look at Pre... they only have 30 apps... so sad!! LOL!!!" I guess when they show the numbers of Blackberry and winmo they still pale and can be considered a slam against them. It was their developer's conference so they have a right to have a little fun like when they jab at Microsoft and visa versa.
    You do understand the meaning of "lambast", right? On the one hand, you say you don't recall them doing so, then say it was their right. They were definitely berating Palm, and I don't argue that it's their right. The post I responding to made the claim that Apple didn't do it. They did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    What does offering games to people that want them do to the people that don't want them?

Does it some how diminish your device? Does your device some how not work anymore?

Seriously, Palm needs to get as many people on board as they can not limit market share by artificially limiting what a phone or SDK can do when there is NO REASON in the world to do so.

Make all the excuses you want but you sound like a bunch of Apple fanbois justifying why they didn't have copy and paste. At least Apple did it right once it finally got on the device, unlike Palm.
    Palm hasn't "limited" anything. Again, the device has been out six weeks.

You know what, never mind.

Same ol' same ol' from you. Yawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Palm hasn't "limited" anything. Again, the device has been out six weeks.

You know what, never mind.

Same ol' same ol' from you. Yawn.
    I don't know why you bother.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Who the heck randomly goes into the app store and starts looking for random apps?
    A lot of people. Sometimes you may not even know until you see it.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    One thing that I don't understand is why every new phone that comes out has to "compete" with the iPhone.. Like the iPhone is the only phone that people use in the world.

As far as the SDK being "impotent".. Again, the Pre is not the iPhone, and I don't quite remember Palm ever saying it was supposed to be. I'm not going to say 3D apps aren't important, because to someone they are. I just can't understand why the Pre has to live up to the iPhone's name, like a sucessor, or why it even has to stand in it's shadow.
    *shrugs*
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Is this really a surprise? Palm called the OS *WEB*OS. Is anyone really shocked that most of the apps will be "limited" to web style apps?

Also, remember that Palm says that they will offer Flash on the Pre in the future. I wonder, will Flash on the Pre support Flash's 3D graphics functions? Maybe. If that is the case, I really don't think that we'll have to worry about accessing the 3D functions of the phone.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I think at WWDC they pulled a chart to show apps in different platforms and showed the Pre. But I don't recall them 'lambasting' them saying "Hey, look at Pre... they only have 30 apps... so sad!! LOL!!!" I guess when they show the numbers of Blackberry and winmo they still pale and can be considered a slam against them. It was their developer's conference so they have a right to have a little fun like when they jab at Microsoft and visa versa.
    Yes I saw that slide as well. Did you notice which manufacturer they left off of the list !
    Who are they kiddin?!!

[edit] Hang on a sec I just noticed the number they quoted for Palm! Surely Palm have one or two more apps than that !!!!! More Apple lies!!
    Last edited by as147; 07/19/2009 at 04:24 AM.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You do understand the meaning of "lambast", right? On the one hand, you say you don't recall them doing so, then say it was their right. They were definitely berating Palm, and I don't argue that it's their right. The post I responding to made the claim that Apple didn't do it. They did.
    So I guess Apple should have lied about the number of apps they have.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    A lot of people. Sometimes you may not even know until you see it.
    So you do that when picking out software for your computer. You go inside a store and randomy look for software all in the hopes of finding one.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    Yes I saw that slide as well. Did you notice which manufacturer they left off of the list !
    Who are they kiddin?!!

[edit] Hang on a sec I just noticed the number they quoted for Palm! Surely Palm have one or two more apps than that !!!!! More Apple lies!!
    How many apps were available in the Pre store when it launched?
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    How many apps were available in the Pre store when it launched?
    It doesn't say PRE it says P A L M --- 18 apps!!!

Have you folks figured out which manufacturer/platform they purposefully left off the list yet?

Tip: The one that probably has the closest number of Apps (if not more?).
    If you are going to try and bend the truth to show yourselves in a good light do it with more intelligence than a 2 year old!

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    So you do that when picking out software for your computer. You go inside a store and randomy look for software all in the hopes of finding one.
    I'm sorry. Was that a question?
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    It doesn't say PRE it says P A L M --- 18 apps!!!

Have you folks figured out which manufacturer/platform they purposefully left off the list yet?

Tip: The one that probably has the closest number of Apps (if not more?).
    If you are going to try and bend the truth to show yourselves in a good light do it with more intelligence than a 2 year old!
    They were obviously comparing apps available in the each respective app store.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I agree in a way. Apple's slide there was misleading. It may have led someone to believe that Palm, the company itself, only has 18 apps. Now if the speaker explained that it was referring to the Palm Pre at launch, then that's okay. Still, the slide is misleading since Palm has several different mobile devices and surely it had more than hundreds of apps.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    I agree in a way. Apple's slide there was misleading. It may have led someone to believe that Palm, the company itself, only has 18 apps. Now if the speaker explained that it was referring to the Palm Pre at launch, then that's okay. Still, the slide is misleading since Palm has several different mobile devices and surely it had more than hundreds of apps.
    They were comparing apps available in app stores. How many app stores does Palm have and how many apps were available in it during the time of this event.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Yes they were comparing the App stores.

He made a swipe at Palm. He was reading out the sizes of the App stores e.g. Nokia has X apps etc

When he got to Palm he said
    "and somebody else but its too small and I can't read it"

I still think it doesn't represent the apps presence out there for each platform and is therefore bending the facts to suit their casde - which I don't blame them for

If they measured number of apps (even by estimating) the gap between Apple and everyone else would be smaller (they may not even hold the number 1 slot).

By measuring app stores they could avoid the big one out there - Windoze mobile
    This probably has close to if not more apps than Apple out there. Most of which can be found on a collection of the biggest sites.

They just didn't bother. I don't blame them but its so transparent

Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    I'm sorry. Was that a question?
    Yes it was. You should have a general idea of what apps you are looking for through reearch. This is how things are done in real life with other aspects of shopping.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Yes it was. You should have a general idea of what apps you are looking for through reearch. This is how things are done in real life with other aspects of shopping.
    A huge number of people people go window shopping, whether on the web or on the high street. This is shopping without knowing exactly what you want or if you want anything at all.

Surely you can't deny this as a valid way of shopping.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast