Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    Not a flame war, but I read it the same way he/she did... where in your statement did it say anything about users?
    It was implied.
    I just need Texas Hold 'Em.
    For the guy who said only 12-15yr olds buy games on a phone you need to get a clue. Apple has sold 1.5 billion apps. Guess what the majority of them are? GAMES.
    The majority of people buy a phone for entertainment, not productivity. If I want a pure business phone then get a BB. If you want a great entertainment device then get an iphone. Palms problem is they are now stuck in the middle. Not great at anything.
    Pre is what it is. A nice phone that doesnt do anything great and that is going to be its downfall unless they can really push into the iphone or BB market. At this time I dont see that happening but we shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbaugh View Post
    For the guy who said only 12-15yr olds buy games on a phone you need to get a clue. Apple has sold 1.5 billion apps. Guess what the majority of them are? GAMES.
    The majority of people buy a phone for entertainment, not productivity. If I want a pure business phone then get a BB. If you want a great entertainment device then get an iphone. Palms problem is they are now stuck in the middle. Not great at anything.
    Pre is what it is. A nice phone that doesnt do anything great and that is going to be its downfall unless they can really push into the iphone or BB market. At this time I dont see that happening but we shall see.
    I feel as though Palm is just feeling the market with this phone. The Eos is way more of a business design that will leach BB market share. Then they might push the Pre more towards games.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    that was me

But that's not what I said. Re read my post, it was about who would buy a cell phone primarily for games. Not on weather games sell. I also did not speak only of teen boys.

And for the record most people buy phones for communication period. Rim is the #1 smartphone maker communications and productivity are there focus.

That being said I reiterate games sell palm should give the pre a full chance to shine. Entertainment into which games fall is important, obviously, but the pre can do that and the sdk will work for entertainment in most cases
    Last edited by anonymoustipster; 07/18/2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    This is the same thing that happened with the IPhone and Webapps. Palm just hasn't given access yet, because it's really not that important. I saw Doom on my friends 3GS yesterday, and it was a total gimick. Big deal.
  7. KAM1138
    Hello Everyone,

Where do you get your data claiming that the majority of people buy a phone for entertainment? Why would anyone buy a phone primarily for entertainment when there are excellent entertainment devices on the market?

You may be right that people buy an iPhone for non-business reasons, and I suspect many people buy it as a fashion statement, but that's them. The Pre is not an iPhone, it is the Pre, and Palm will shoot for whatever market it determines is best.

I just happened upon the Pre when I was looking for a new phone, and briefly considered the iPhone knowing that it had a ton of apps. Well, the Pre's WebOS and hardware won me over very quickly, although I also considered Blackberry, but Sprint's offering seemed dated. I would like to use my phone for business, utility purposes (including phone calls) and would like a few bells and whistles (entertainment) as well. I'm that middle ground customer that you apparently think doesn't exist.

KAM
    It has already been found in the SDK and webOS that there is a specific label to the apps. So far all the apps have been labeled "Web". As a systems engineer, to me this means there will be other types, like native Linux apps. They wouldn't put that identifier in there unless there were other types of apps coming.

My 2 cents.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    As 'native' WebOS is JavaScript and Open Chess is written in C/C++, it cannot be ported. WebOS imho needs an interface to include C libraries.
    It does, it's called browser plugins (see the pre dev wiki). This is how the classic app is made and used in C. However, they haven't opened this up to most developers yet, but it certainly is possible at this point.
    I agree with the article. I just hope Palm opens the SDK up more for 3D-rich applications/games. That's what I'm ultimately looking for, to be honest and it would be nice that an iphone competitor would have similar apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I just need Texas Hold 'Em.
    Hold'Em app is pretty fun... but I prefer a little MotionX Poker when I have a couple of minutes to twiddle away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    In fact when has Apple talked about the features (or lack thereof) of the Pre???

It's ok to voice your opinions but presenting them as facts is plain wrong.
    I seem to remember an event from Apple where they lambasted the Pre because it's sparcity of app - two days after it was out. I'll find the quote for you, if you'd like.

Please, don't try to rewrite history here...
    The majority of people buy a phone for entertainment, not productivity. If I want a pure business phone then get a BB.
    In light of the fact that BB outsells the iPhone, these two sentences would seem contridictory...
    I think at WWDC they pulled a chart to show apps in different platforms and showed the Pre. But I don't recall them 'lambasting' them saying "Hey, look at Pre... they only have 30 apps... so sad!! LOL!!!" I guess when they show the numbers of Blackberry and winmo they still pale and can be considered a slam against them. It was their developer's conference so they have a right to have a little fun like when they jab at Microsoft and visa versa.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I seem to remember a event from Apple where they lambasted the Pre because it's sparcity of app - two days after it was out. I'll find the quote for you, if you'd like.

Please, don't try to rewrite history here...
    and doesnt nokia still have worldwide market share and microsoft dominate in the number of phones with winmo os?

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    In light of the fact that BB outsells the iPhone, these two sentences would seem contridictory...
    What does offering games to people that want them do to the people that don't want them?

Does it some how diminish your device? Does your device some how not work anymore?

Seriously, Palm needs to get as many people on board as they can not limit market share by artificially limiting what a phone or SDK can do when there is NO REASON in the world to do so.

Make all the excuses you want but you sound like a bunch of Apple fanbois justifying why they didn't have copy and paste. At least Apple did it right once it finally got on the device, unlike Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Where do you get your data claiming that the majority of people buy a phone for entertainment? Why would anyone buy a phone primarily for entertainment when there are excellent entertainment devices on the market?

You may be right that people buy an iPhone for non-business reasons, and I suspect many people buy it as a fashion statement, but that's them. The Pre is not an iPhone, it is the Pre, and Palm will shoot for whatever market it determines is best.

I just happened upon the Pre when I was looking for a new phone, and briefly considered the iPhone knowing that it had a ton of apps. Well, the Pre's WebOS and hardware won me over very quickly, although I also considered Blackberry, but Sprint's offering seemed dated. I would like to use my phone for business, utility purposes (including phone calls) and would like a few bells and whistles (entertainment) as well. I'm that middle ground customer that you apparently think doesn't exist.

KAM
    Been a sprint customer for 6 years now, and america has gotten accustomed to convinience. Nobody wants to put down there phone everytime they wanna play a game. they wanna text while playin music and playing a good decent game. and the only reason blackberry outsold the iphone is because they had a buy 1 get 1 free promotion. A phone that can do it all is what we really want. How boring a phone would be if its just 1 sided. Overall as of right now the iphone is still the better phone. (god that hurts to say) but its true. Palm isnt stupid and they kno the iphone has been such a big hit is because of the entertainment side. and thats whats now and thats whats goin to be for a LOOOONNNGG time to come. so with that bein said from a business standpoint focusing more on the entertainment side is going to sell better than the business side. and like you said if we wanted a handheld device then goin buy a DS right? well if you want a business phone go buy a freakin BLACKBERRY!!! Fixing the calender and doin stupid updates for security is just rediculous. Thats why palm fell out of competition is because they tried to focus on business instead of entertainment. Youve been gettin crushed by the iphone for a good 2 years now palm because of entertainment. Time to realize entertainment sells better. Get with it or get LOST!!!
    Oh and entertainment doesnt mean just GAMES it means camera, music, tv, internet and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    What does offering games to people that want them do to the people that don't want them?

Does it some how diminish your device? Does your device some how not work anymore?

Seriously, Palm needs to get as many people on board as they can not limit market share by artificially limiting what a phone or SDK can do when there is NO REASON in the world to do so.

Make all the excuses you want but you sound like a bunch of Apple fanbois justifying why they didn't have copy and paste. At least Apple did it right once it finally got on the device, unlike Palm.
    This, again, make the excuses you want but all this does is limit the user base of the palm pre.

Why would palm want to "Control" the apps coming out, if a million apps exploded overnight it would only benifit the publicity and possibly usability of the phone.
    Last edited by Integrals; 07/18/2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    This, again, make the excuses you want but all this does is limit the user base of the palm pre.

Why would palm want to "Control" the apps coming out, if a million apps exploded overnight it would only benifit the publicity and possibly usability of the phone.
    False.

Number one complaint of the APple App store is the fact that its too hard to find gems out of all the crap in the app store.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast